A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Newbie Oil pressure / Cam-coil codes HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Oil pressure / Cam-coil codes HELP?

Hello Group! Newbie here.
I have a 2004 A4 Cabrio Quattro 3.0 Tip. with 179000 miles and I am having some problems. I took it on my first long ride yesterday, Va to NJ. About 300 miles into the trip I got the red low oil pressure warning, so I pulled over immediately and shut it off. I checked the oil which showed about 1/2 qt low. I topped it off and continued. About 2-3 miles later, it came on again, I didn't hear any noise, so I went the 1/4 mile to the next exit and pulled into a truck stop, where as is started tapping and clattering. I shut it off and had it towed back home. I went to start it in the morning, and the battery was dead. I put a charger on it and then tried starting it. It had no clattering and sounded really good except a stumble in the idle. I put the reader on it and got p0300, p0431, p0304, p0305, p0302, p0365, p0021, p0011 codes (whew). I then reset to weed out any old codes and got: p0300, p0301, p0302, p0303, p0365. This points (in my limited Audi experience) to a bank one issue, maybe a cps. My questions are, can a dead battery cause this sudden issue? Is it likely that all 3 coils on one side or a cam position sensor would go bad at the exact moment I had a low oil pressure issue? Before the oil pressure issue, I had no problem with the battery, now there is a draw someplace. I will have to track this down, but could this possibly be the stem of my problem?
Thanks in advance.
Sam
Old 05-27-2018, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't risk your engine.
Have the oil pressure checked first then figure out the remainder of the codes
You said that this is your first long trip, but the question is what do you know about the car.
How long have you owned it?
Has the oil ever been changed.

Codes could be due to cam position sensor, but that is a secondary concern.
Right now, make sure the oil pressure is OK and that the engine isn't sludged blocking the oil pickup screen or you have a failed oil pump.

On a similar note, when was the timing belt changed?
Old 05-28-2018, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by david9999
Don't risk your engine.
Have the oil pressure checked first then figure out the remainder of the codes
You said that this is your first long trip, but the question is what do you know about the car.
How long have you owned it?
Has the oil ever been changed.

Codes could be due to cam position sensor, but that is a secondary concern.
Right now, make sure the oil pressure is OK and that the engine isn't sludged blocking the oil pickup screen or you have a failed oil pump.

On a similar note, when was the timing belt changed?
Hi David9999!
Thanks for the reply. I just bought the car the day before my trip. I was told it was regularly maintained, and driven by the man's mother on a long commute every day.The oil was changed a few weeks before I bought it, but I don't know how long ago or even if the timing belt was done. I should have been more specific in my post, my plan is to drop the pan and check/clean the pick up and sludge build up, then move on to the rest. I was just hesitant to believe that the other issues happened at the exact moment the oil pressure issue occurred. I'm sort of figuring the tensioner is effected by the low oil pressure and is letting the bank one exhaust cam to be just enough out of phase to throw the codes and cause the miss fire (fingers crossed anyway) . I am hopeful that the engine is still savable, but worst case still plays towards my original plan for the car. I bought it with the intent to drive it for the summer/fall and then do a 2.7t swap with a stage 3 upgrade. This is why the high mileage didn't bother me too much. I have the 2001 A6 donor already, and will be putting together the rest of the parts needed as the season goes on. Your thoughts?
Thanks,
Sam