A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

XM module location?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM module location?

Looking to add a dension ipod adapter, but wondering where the XM module is located in the cab. Please tell me it's inside the cabin somewhere and not in the trunk ... please?
Old 03-30-2010, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Unfortunately the answer is in the trunk. I bought a 2004 A4 for my wife and it did not come with XM. But I was able to find an XM receiver on ebay and install it in the trunk. All the wiring was there already so it was nice to be able to just put the receiver in and connect the cables. Then I had to go to the passenger dirver's compartment behind the kick plate and move a connector over 1 slot so the car would recognize the XM receiver. Not sure if this helps you.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

kmc6566

I did the same as you on my 06 cabriolet..

My only complaint is that the XM reception cuts out when I am under tree canopies, which I did not experience with my Acura TL.

I assume that you also have a cabriolet. Are you experiencing annoying reception cut outs under trees?

The cabriolet XM antenna is located in the trunk lid, unlike the sedans which have the shark fin antenna on the roof.

obLu

I believe that if you want to add the ipod adapter and delete the XM radio, you unplug the XM receiver at the radio and plug in the ipod adapter there.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My wife's Q7 has the same reception problems ... hers is Sirius, mine's XM ... in fact, mine's a little bit better than hers.

I was asking because I wanted to keep XM and the ipod adapter requires you to run wires all the way from the HU to the XM module. Going to have to re-evaluate that, not in the mood to pull trim and seats and run cables just for an ipod adapter.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have not noticed the reception cutting out in the car. My wife hasn't mentioned anything either. But it is possible that we just don't drive under many tree canopies. We're in Arkansas and it's pretty flat where we are which makes for better reception.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

they call it satellite radio but it really not just satellite. They use a system of "terrestrial repeaters". Which means that if your driving across the salt flats you will only be getting a signal from the actual satellites. If you live in the city you will get a mixture of satellite and regular radio signal. You will just never know which your relay listening to. My GUESS is that if XM works better then Sirius in your area it is because xm has a repeater near you where Sirius may not.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by miltcoleman
kmc6566

I did the same as you on my 06 cabriolet..

My only complaint is that the XM reception cuts out when I am under tree canopies, which I did not experience with my Acura TL.

I assume that you also have a cabriolet. Are you experiencing annoying reception cut outs under trees?

The cabriolet XM antenna is located in the trunk lid, unlike the sedans which have the shark fin antenna on the roof.

obLu

I believe that if you want to add the ipod adapter and delete the XM radio, you unplug the XM receiver at the radio and plug in the ipod adapter there.
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but is the xm module on the driver's or passenger's side of the trunk? And any tips on removing the trim since there's no access panel like in the sedan?

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The wires for the xm module are already run and they end on the left side of the trunk. Mine were taped behind a bracket. I just had to find them. I had found a good thread on it describing where they are located. I think the guy even took pictures. I will try to find it. It was nice that all the wiring was there. Just had to connect them to the XM module. Then the only other thing you had to do was go behind the passenger side right kick panel. There is a connector there that has to be moved so the radio recognizes the xm module.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Take a look at this. It's the sedan but it has good information. Pull up the .pdf files too.

Let me know if this helps.

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec121.shtml
Old 05-29-2019, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Can any on tell me where I can find the XM radio module in my 2014 Audi A6?