Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2012 A6 Coolant Temperature Too High!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaphodb17
Make sure the secondary coolant fan is working, too. Mine did this only when I turned the A/C on, turns out the electric fan had croaked.
On a C5 or C7?
Old 05-19-2014, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaphodb17
Make sure the secondary coolant fan is working, too. Mine did this only when I turned the A/C on, turns out the electric fan had croaked.
Thank you, good point, I will make sure to mention this as well if the issue still occurs. I am praying that it does not, not being able to drive my car hurts my feelings. Lol Thank you so much for your reply. :-)
Old 05-20-2014, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If i were king the thermostat would be in the radiator hose, accessible with a screwdriver or small butter knife :-)

Grant
Old 05-20-2014, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
If i were king the thermostat would be in the radiator hose, accessible with a screwdriver or small butter knife :-)

Grant
.. and the heater core would be in a panel you could just lift out of the dash ...
Old 05-24-2014, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hey guys. I just got my water pump replaced for the over heating issue today. FYI, the "thermostat" and the "water pump" is one in the same. They are replaced as one unit.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jcman
On a C5 or C7?
Sorry-mine happened on a C5, don't know how a C7 is set up. For all I know it has a viscous fan and two electric ones...
Old 05-27-2014, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nastinupe
Hey guys. I just got my water pump replaced for the over heating issue today. FYI, the "thermostat" and the "water pump" is one in the same. They are replaced as one unit.
Hi,
Was this an expensive fix? Mine is sadly out of warranty range. ;-(
Old 05-27-2014, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nastinupe
Just for Clarification . The Water pump and thermostat are not " one in the same" They are completely different parts with different functions and different part numbers. I Think what is confusing you is that they are often changed together as they are such a PITA to get to and both deal with cooling.

They can be changed independantly . ( i had to change my stat as i had an infant failure on mine when i did my timing belt job, but i sure as hell didnt replace the water pump again ...

BTW did it fix your problem and were you able to identify which component failed ?
Old 05-27-2014, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by casmith
Hi,
Usually it is quite expensive as you would do the timing belt at the same time. A dealer will allmost certainly take you to the cleaners. But some independants can be reasonable. Some let you even source your own parts, but if it were me i wouldn't. Let them source them and get warranty on the whole job. How many miles on your car ? and has it had a timing belt done ?
Old 05-27-2014, 07:17 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by casmith
Hi,
You guys need to move this discussion to the correct forum. This forum is for C5 body style cars. If your car is 2005 or newer, you are on the wrong forum.

Quick Reply: 2012 A6 Coolant Temperature Too High!