Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2012 Audi A6

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by veedubmac
Does anyone know if the Adjustable Air Suspension will ever make its way to our shores? The last A6 had it as an option earlier (anyone know the take rate?) and both the past and current MB E-Class (550) have air suspension. Also, can the air suspension be coupled with ADS?
Don't know the take rate, but I have a C6 with air suspension. I was hoping this option would make it to the US (among other options). Its one of the reasons I haven't quite yet pulled the trigger on a C7. I was under the impression the MB 550 has air suspension on the rear wheels. Also, they are taking it out of the 2012 E550. You've got to get an A8 or Q7 if you want it in the US. The cost probably doesn't work for them bringing it to the US shores...shame...

Last edited by Juaser; 08-30-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

There has been mention of the lack of the suspension adjustment component of Audi Drive Select on the new A6 and A7 in magazine articles reviewing the vehicles. Some of the authors have called Audi of America asking why and while not getting a straight answer it seems the consensus was that Audi was saving that for the S models (S6 and S7) in the USA.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Juaser
Don't know the take rate, but I have a C6 with air suspension. I was hoping this option would make it to the US (among other options). Its one of the reasons I haven't quite yet pulled the trigger on a C7. I was under the impression the MB 550 has air suspension on the rear wheels. Also, they are taking it out of the 2012 E550. You've got to get an A8 or Q7 if you want it in the US. The cost probably doesn't work for them bringing it to the US shores...shame...
Is your C6 A6 a European car here in the US on an exemption?
As far as I know the last A6 imported to the US with air suspension was the C5 allroad.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by EHLO
As far as I know the last A6 imported to the US with air suspension was the C5 allroad.
Adaptive Air Suspension was available on the C6-A6 in the U.S. thru the 2008MY---retailed for $2300 (Option Code 1BK). Was available on the 3.2 V6 (Sedan & Avant) and 4.2 V8 Sedan platforms thru 2007; then available only on the Avant and 4.2 V8 Sedan in 2008. Discontinued as a C6 option in 2009MY.

Last edited by derfA8L; 08-30-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I doubt this is the case as It would require a substantial engineering change. I have to believe this is a design/marketing decision by Audi. Also, there seems to be no ADS availability problem for A4/S4 models that I'm aware of.
The B8 A4 and S4 have been around longer. If not offering ADS on the A6 and A7 was a marketing (NOT design) decision by Audi (actually, Audi of America and possibly other Audi importers in North America), that was a foolish decision.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mdernst
There has been mention of the lack of the suspension adjustment component of Audi Drive Select on the new A6 and A7 in magazine articles reviewing the vehicles. Some of the authors have called Audi of America asking why and while not getting a straight answer it seems the consensus was that Audi was saving that for the S models (S6 and S7) in the USA.
Audi makes no sense - why does it offer the suspension adjustment component in the existing A4 (US models) but not the new A6 (US models)?
Old 08-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The A4/S4 adaptive suspension is the most important setting IMO, particularly since the same throttle and shift response is essentially available with the "sport" setting on the shifter.
That's precisely how I feel. Without the adaptive suspension option, there is really no point to ADS (with it, it's like having two cars in one). The only thing you can really set is steering firmness, since shift response is always "adaptable" by using the sport setting. Still, I suppose that's better than nothing, but not by much.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by EHLO
No, it was a stand alone option at the time. It was available on all the trims, mine is a 3.2 sedan. I'm so used to it now, I was kind of hoping it would carry over on the C7. So now I'm just waiting it out until the options improve.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

So the A4/S4 includes adaptive suspension (variable shock response, not air suspension) as part of the ADS system but it appears this is excluded from the ADS system on the A6.

(from Audi US 2012 A6)
:

"Audi drive select

Exclusive to Audi, this system provides advanced control of the vehicle’s steering, transmission shift characteristics and engine response. The system offers drivers the ability to configure vehicle drive characteristics exactly to their liking with the choice of Comfort, Auto, Dynamic or Individual settings". (italics mine)

No mention of active suspension like the A4 ADS as above. If the transmission "Sport" mode provides the same shift and engine response characteristics as the ADS, that seems to leave only the steering as the variable extra feature. If true, how can Audi describe "comfort", for example, as a setting if no adaptive suspension? By changing the throttle, shift and steering parameters only? The A4/S4 adaptive suspension is the most important setting IMO, particularly since the same throttle and shift response is essentially available with the "sport" setting on the shifter.
In regards to transmission shifting, I noticed that when choosing the Dynamic feature alone (without changing the transmission "D" to "S"), the shifting is more abrupt/quicker and shifts points (i.e. rpm) is slight higher but when combining with the "S", the shift points are even higher and hold their longer. So, you would need to select both if you want "spirited" driving dynamics (and fuel economy loss).
Old 08-30-2011, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dedalus
Audi makes no sense - why does it offer the suspension adjustment component in the existing A4 (US models) but not the new A6 (US models)?
That's the price you pay for being an early adopter of a new model. I call it "Beta testing"

I know, bad IT joke

Quick Reply: 2012 Audi A6