Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2012 Audi A6

Old 08-29-2011, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2012 Audi A6

Picture Gallery: http://www.driving.ca/Gallery+2012+A...476/story.html

Road Test & Specs: http://www.driving.ca/research-car/r...022/story.html
Old 08-29-2011, 07:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why does every market BESIDES the US get the adjustable suspension with Drive Select?? I don't get it. It's available here on the A4, so why not the more upscale A6????? I was really hoping for it, although I have read some reviews that said it's better to stick with the traditional spring suspension...
Old 08-29-2011, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dedalus
Why does every market BESIDES the US get the adjustable suspension with Drive Select?? I don't get it. It's available here on the A4, so why not the more upscale A6????? I was really hoping for it, although I have read some reviews that said it's better to stick with the traditional spring suspension...
Where is here?
I wasn't aware that the air suspension was available on the A4 in any market.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Why does every market BESIDES the US get the adjustable suspension with Drive Select??
The US A6 does gets one-time-adjustable suspension (at the time of purchase) via the sport package or no sport package

It's bizarre the stereotypes Audi places on the US market, relative to what they include (or don't include) in US cars. They must be using watchers of "Keeping up with the Kardashians" for their market research
Old 08-29-2011, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know if the Adjustable Air Suspension will ever make its way to our shores? The last A6 had it as an option earlier (anyone know the take rate?) and both the past and current MB E-Class (550) have air suspension. Also, can the air suspension be coupled with ADS?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by EHLO
Where is here?
I wasn't aware that the air suspension was available on the A4 in any market.
I haven't driven one personally, but the adaptive suspension is available on A4 (as well as S4) prestige models, according to Audi's US website, as part of the ADS package:

"Audi drive select package
Exclusive to Audi, this system provides advanced control of the vehicle’s adaptive suspension, dynamic steering, transmission shift characteristics and engine response. The system offers 27 distinct driving configurations, where drivers can configure vehicle drive characteristics exactly to their liking with their choice of Comfort, Auto, Dynamic or Individual settings.
Package contents
- Audi drive select package
- Dynamic steering"

Audi, give us this option on the A6!!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I haven't driven one personally, but the adaptive suspension is available on A4 (as well as S4) prestige models, according to Audi's US website, as part of the ADS package:

Exclusive to Audi, this system provides advanced control of the vehicle’s adaptive suspension, dynamic steering, transmission shift characteristics and engine response. The system offers 27 distinct driving configurations, where drivers can configure vehicle drive characteristics exactly to their liking with their choice of Comfort, Auto, Dynamic or Individual settings.
Package contents
- Dynamic steering"

By `adaptive suspension' they mean the shock absorbers are electrically controlled to give different firmness levels, not that it has the air suspension.
Drive select is standard on all 2012 A6s.

Last edited by EHLO; 08-29-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Package contents
- Dynamic steering"

So the A4/S4 includes adaptive suspension (variable shock response, not air suspension) as part of the ADS system but it appears this is excluded from the ADS system on the A6.

(from Audi US 2012 A6)
:

"Audi drive select

Exclusive to Audi, this system provides advanced control of the vehicle’s steering, transmission shift characteristics and engine response. The system offers drivers the ability to configure vehicle drive characteristics exactly to their liking with the choice of Comfort, Auto, Dynamic or Individual settings". (italics mine)

No mention of active suspension like the A4 ADS as above. If the transmission "Sport" mode provides the same shift and engine response characteristics as the ADS, that seems to leave only the steering as the variable extra feature. If true, how can Audi describe "comfort", for example, as a setting if no adaptive suspension? By changing the throttle, shift and steering parameters only? The A4/S4 adaptive suspension is the most important setting IMO, particularly since the same throttle and shift response is essentially available with the "sport" setting on the shifter.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
So the A4/S4 includes adaptive suspension (variable shock response, not air suspension) as part of the ADS system but it appears this is excluded from the ADS system on the A6.
Perhaps there is a very low supply of the ADS suspension system right now? if that is the case, then when the supply is higher, Audi will offer ADS on the A6 and A7.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi S5 TC
Perhaps there is a very low supply of the ADS suspension system right now? if that is the case, then when the supply is higher, Audi will offer ADS on the A6 and A7.
I doubt this is the case as It would require a substantial engineering change. I have to believe this is a design/marketing decision by Audi. Also, there seems to be no ADS availability problem for A4/S4 models that I'm aware of.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Audi A6