Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2013 A6 LED Headlights v HID Headlights

Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem33
I like the top view camera. It is useful to center the car on a parking spot, not so much to judge whether you're about to hit the curb and kill your wheels. It's also nice if you have to get really close to a wall with the front of the car; you can get almost an extra foot closer than with the sensors without hitting the bumper. That being said, it's really not particularly necessary; the rear camera, I would argue, is a must have, but the rest of the cameras are more of a nicety. Although, once in a while, the 'corner' view is useful if you are pulling into oncoming traffic in a perpendicular angle.

Since (I believe) the top view is bundled with the tech package, the question is whether the rest of the stuff is worth it. For me, adaptive cruise is a must. The night view camera does not seem that useful to me, especially since you have to take your eyes off the road to see it, but I know people who live where deer share the road with them think differently.

The lane keep assist is marginally useful, but mostly intervenes when it shouldn't and is, thus, almost always off, save for long trips in the carpool lane.

The HUD is a nice to have, but I could live without it. It is nice to see nav directions on the HUD, and speed. On the other hand, you have to put up with glare, since polarized lenses will obscure the HUD along with the glare they eliminate. So, for me, it's a wash.

Overall, I thought the package was worth it and I would probably still buy it.

Note: All these are bundled in the US and some (the HUD, night vision and top view) are not available separately; it most likely will be different in Canada.
I'm looking at the 2.0T in Canada and we can order the top view camera and lane assist as separate options. We can't get the HUD (night display) as an option on the 2.0T.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good feedback thanks. Did you see similar distances with both including the turning lights?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

FYI, in US models, the front and rear acoustic parking sensors with graphics are standard without needing the Innovation package on the Premium Plus and Prestige. Adaptive Cruise Control is also included in the Driver Assist Package.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hl229
Look - I'm still convinced that the Xenons work better in terms of seeing further and being adaptive, with an edge to LEDs for whiteness and clarity. But I just threw down for the LEDs anyway, because they simply look bad-***. Hopefully I'll get back some of that 1,400 from fewer bulb replacements (will own the car for years, knock on wood).
I like the way you think!
Old 12-24-2012, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

In Canada the LED headlights and the Audi Lane Assist were separate options, $1700 and $600 repectively. Apparently, as of now, any new factory orders will have the option of a "Safety Package" which includes LEDs and Lane Assist for $1700. My wife doesn't want the new car until at least March so she can get used to it before driving it in winter so we will likely be ordering it within the next few weeks. I've been told that with my options the car would have to be factory ordered so the new package is a nice Christmas present.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ive read this topic with some interest and have a few bits to add.....

Auto levelling headlights auto level to take into account the load of the car i.e. items in the boot (trunk), passengers in the back etc etc. They dont auto level to take into account hills and or the angle of the car. To do this would require DTED (Detailed Terrain Elevation Data) in the satnav/mapping software of the car and would need to be almost military grade in accuracy to ensure it is effective. GM (General Motors) are working on this technology at the moment apparently but I personally cant see it being that effective. I would prefer to dazzle oncoming traffic for a few seconds while I crest a hill as opposed to having my own lights lower and not have the illuminated range I want/need.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M1tch
Ive read this topic with some interest and have a few bits to add.....

Auto levelling headlights auto level to take into account the load of the car i.e. items in the boot (trunk), passengers in the back etc etc. They dont auto level to take into account hills and or the angle of the car. To do this would require DTED (Detailed Terrain Elevation Data) in the satnav/mapping software of the car and would need to be almost military grade in accuracy to ensure it is effective. GM (General Motors) are working on this technology at the moment apparently but I personally cant see it being that effective. I would prefer to dazzle oncoming traffic for a few seconds while I crest a hill as opposed to having my own lights lower and not have the illuminated range I want/need.
I'm not sure it would necessarily have to be so complicated with the use of terrain maps, etc. I would think it would be possible to make a major leap forward simply by having the headlights react to the rate of CHANGE of "pitch" (i.e. the front end raising or lowering relative to the back) of the car.

On level road, the headlights would be aimed as they are today. As the front of the car begins to raise as if beginning to climb a hill, the headlights would rise slightly. Once the car is on the hill and the front-to-rear angle of the car becomes constant, the headlamps would again behave normally and be level with the pavement. As the car begins to crest a hill and the nose begins to lower relative to the rear of the car, the lights point slightly downward.

The above behaviors could be fine-tuned to react based on the rate of change of pitch, vehicle speed, etc. (in a manner similar to how the cornering light logic is programmed). Or, given the fast reaction times and dimmability of LEDs, it might be possible simply to have the high-beams come on at reduced wattage in cases where the car was beginning to change from flat ground to a hill, or to have additional lights that would come on briefly when starting up a hill or cresting a hill.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M1tch
Auto levelling headlights auto level to take into account the load of the car i.e. items in the boot (trunk), passengers in the back etc etc. They dont auto level to take into account hills and or the angle of the car.
Are you referring to LED or Xenon lights?

Xenon lights do self level to adjust for changes in road elevation.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was referring to both. Neither yet have the technology to react to changes in road elevation.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Spoon2000 I agree, I don't see why it is that difficult to implement however due to the amount on different roads, lengths, steepness and onwards visibility of hill crests in the world, what may work for one situation may not work for all, probably the reason that this hasn't been done yet.

As far as I'm aware GM are up there with the best in lighting technology hence my current car having 9 automatic lighting settings dependent on weather, ambient light, traffic, road type etc etc. I'm sure a solution will be along in the near future.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 A6 LED Headlights v HID Headlights