Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2013 A6 LED Headlights v HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphatero
Just resurrecting this thread for a question:

Just got my 2014 A6 Prestige and its incredible.
But one question: I have the LED headlights. The two buttons to the left of the headlight control - the bottom one is the rear fog lights. What exactly does the top button accomplish? The manual is very short on this information - it mentions inclement weather, but doesn't directly explain the function.

Thanks for the help!
With C7s equipped with LED headlights, it's to activate both "cornering" lights (the diamond shaped lights located below the headlight LEDs. On page 41 (in my manual; your page # may be different), the automatic operation of "Static Cornering lights", designed to illuminate at low speed turns, is explained. (They are not fog lights as they are aimed down low and to the sides).
Old 11-23-2016, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to the right of the headlight switch, there are two buttons. The top button operates the front facing fog lights as discussed. The lower button operates the rear facing fog lights. The rear ones don't really project much light for you to see behind you. It is designed more for others to easily see you in fog/inclement weather.
Also as mentioned, the front fog lights will turn off if you turn on your high beams.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Anything is possible if you have the money to spend. The cost for the LED headlight assembly is over $2K each just for the parts. Labor and recoding would of course be extra.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My understanding is that the wiring harness and connector are different as well. Years ago someone looked into doing the swap and eventually found it to be hopelessly expensive, even if someone gifted him the light assemblies.

There are higher-wattage HID capsules available, if you want more light than OEM.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default safety?

What about this?
Vehicle details
Old 02-24-2017, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by nipseyrussell
What about this?
Vehicle details
I can't agree with their test results. I've owned over 35 cars and the LED headlights are the very best I've had in every form of measurement - distance, side illumination, color temp, etc. Perhaps the test model they used did not have the headlights properly adjusted.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audiv8q
Greetings fellow Audinauts,
The HID on my wife's A6 are significantly dimmer than the LED lights on my A8.
Is it possible to replace the existing HID headlights with the upgrade to full LED?
The dealer told me it would require reprogramming in the car using the VAG-COM.
Does anyone have experience doing this?
I would need the walk-through on what I need to do.
Thanks for any help and advice on this.
Her right HID lens cover was damaged this week, and the headlight is now out - I've been told it comes as a unit, and that I can't replace just the plastic cover - so now would be the time for the upgrade if it is possible.
I noticed the LED headlights is much dimmer in my A6 than my Mercedes E350.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I can't agree with their test results. I've owned over 35 cars and the LED headlights are the very best I've had in every form of measurement - distance, side illumination, color temp, etc. Perhaps the test model they used did not have the headlights properly adjusted.
My LEDs were aimed too low and it definitely affected performance. I had the dealer aim them up a little and it was, excuse the expression, night & day.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven

+1. The Acura TLs (series III - 04-08) I've owned had great HIDs -- among the best in the business back then. My /15 A6 with the LEDs is far superior to my old TLs as well as my wife's /13 Volvo S80 with HIDs. Brighter, whiter, just all round better IMHO. This becomes more important as I get older. In fact, I won't consider a car unless the headlights are excellent.

Best,
Jeff