Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2013 A6 LED Headlights v HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The LED strip is designed as an integrated unit and like LED tail lights, must be replaced as such.
That was my concern. Especially since I normally my cars quite a while.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ltdplus9
Totally agree. They're awesome. And I specifically asked about LED failure and it's covered under warranty.
Good to know!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Future2012A6
That was my concern. Especially since I normally my cars quite a while.
I'm afraid to find out how much it would cost.
Back in 06 when I got my Lexus GS, the sales guy said those HID lights last longer. Well, in 3 years, the first HID light bulb went out. $375 for part, plus labor. Another 2 years went by, the other went out. Between the two, it was over 1k. Sure the LED will last longer but it will be costly to replace.
But in the grand scheme of things, nothing will be cheap to repair in a 60k vehicle. They sure are cool to look at though.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

And Audi claims they keep the vampires away.

Funny! An added benefit.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KarKid
I'm afraid to find out how much it would cost.
Back in 06 when I got my Lexus GS, the sales guy said those HID lights last longer. Well, in 3 years, the first HID light bulb went out. $375 for part, plus labor. Another 2 years went by, the other went out. Between the two, it was over 1k. Sure the LED will last longer but it will be costly to replace.
But in the grand scheme of things, nothing will be cheap to repair in a 60k vehicle. They sure are cool to look at though.
My thoughts excatly. They are "supposed" to last a very long time but...
Old 10-29-2012, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I still remember when I called Lexus about the HID light and told them the sales guy said those HID last a very long time... the service manager replied: "well... nothing last a very long time." LOL!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

That causes a one-sided "winking" effect as the side with turn signal flashing has the DRL turn off on that side.
My wife's BMW X5 does something similar to that by turning on the fog lights in the direction you are turning (and turning off the other in the same process) to provide better road clarity and visibility. I agree it's pretty cool looking.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by alvam
My wife's BMW X5 does something similar to that by turning on the fog lights in the direction you are turning (and turning off the other in the same process) to provide better road clarity and visibility. I agree it's pretty cool looking.
The C7 A6 also has all weather lights that turn on left or right at slow speeds at night when making a turn. They are the diamond shaped LED lights just below the DRL strip. They can also be activated with a switch as "fog" lights.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Very Long Life

As far as lifespan for an LED I've had heard that they really dont die they just loose intensity (barring complete malfuncition which should be covered under warranty). A quick google search turned this up.

The “life” of an LED is generally accepted to be when the luminous output drops to 70% of its original intensity. A power LED industry group, Alliance for Solid-State Illumination Systems and Technologies (ASSIST) conducted tests in a commercial lighting environment that showed people generally did not notice a gradually diminishing LED light output until it had dropped by 30% of its original brightness. This value is known as L70.

Most quality LED’s available today offer a L70 of 50,000 to 60,000 hours.

So, if an LED light is used on average for 2.5 to 3 hours per day, then it will reach L70 in around 50 years.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Rings4AL
So, if an LED light is used on average for 2.5 to 3 hours per day, then it will reach L70 in around 50 years.
Either I, my A6 or likely both will be long dead in 50 years. However, I suspect there's more chance of a defect or other related component failure occurring in the light system requiring replacement before the 50 year useful LED life. I just hope it occurs after my useful life.

Quick Reply: 2013 A6 LED Headlights v HID Headlights