Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2013 A6 LED Headlights v HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LED Headlights are THE must-order option for the A6/S6. No question.

Quality of light, lifespan, and overall look... I mean, don't you want to make the BMW/MB/Lexus/Infiniti drivers jealous?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by tibookx
LED Headlights are THE must-order option for the A6/S6. No question.

Quality of light, lifespan, and overall look... I mean, don't you want to make the BMW/MB/Lexus/Infiniti drivers jealous?
Next year they will have their own LED headlights so any jealousy will be short lived. Just like LED DRLs - they're everywhere now in one iteration or another, even on a $15K Korean sub-compact.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Next year they will have their own LED headlights so any jealousy will be short lived. Just like LED DRLs - they're everywhere now in one iteration or another, even on a $15K Korean sub-compact.
Bingo.

The name of the game is to innovate and be first to market. Read through the forums and there are plenty of low mileage Audi owners looking to upgrade just to get the new LED headlights, innovation package, or some other high-tech feature.

This is one of the reasons that Audi is the current automotive media darling.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

As I get older, I really have trouble seeing at night when it's raining and the roads are wet. It gets difficult to see the lane markings. Are the LED headlights that much better than the bi-xenon in this situation?

Also, I've seen in other posts where people ask how LED headlights are in the snow but noone ever seemed to answer. They seemd more concerned with the fact that LED headlights weren't warm enough to melt snow. I'm not interested in that, I'm only interested if they are better than bi-xenons.

I would spend $1700 Cdn for LED headlights if they are a major improvement over bi-xenon in poor road conditions. Aesthetics don't come into the equation for me.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

[QUOTE=TheNit;24367745] Also, I've seen in other posts where people ask how LED headlights are in the snow but noone ever seemed to answer. They seemd more concerned with the fact that LED headlights weren't warm enough to melt snow.QUOTE]

LEDs generate very little heat, and don’t feel significantly warmer in temperature when they are activated than they do when switched off.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

[QUOTE=alvam;24367749]
Originally Posted by TheNit
LEDs generate very little heat, and don’t feel significantly warmer in temperature when they are activated than they do when switched off.
As has been posted here a number of times, there is quite a bit of hot air that comes out of the hood and over the headlights. The lights also have fans.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TheNit
I'm not interested in that, I'm only interested if they are better than bi-xenons.

I would spend $1700 Cdn for LED headlights if they are a major improvement over bi-xenon in poor road conditions. Aesthetics don't come into the equation for me.
IMO, HIDs are much better than bi-xenon and LEDs are much better than HIDs. I am very happy with foul weather performance of the LED lights.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
IMO, HIDs are much better than bi-xenon and LEDs are much better than HIDs. I am very happy with foul weather performance of the LED lights.
Hids are xenon. Bi xenon is when the one xenon bulb also works as the high beam with a mechanical switch that shifts the light up
Old 11-03-2012, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

[QUOTE=joseaudi;24367945]Hids are xenon. Bi xenon is when the one xenon bulb also works as the high beam with a mechanical switch that shifts the light up[/QUOTE

My Outback has xenon, my Corvette had HID. They are not the same lights. I have also dove with HID lights and they are not xenon.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a link with a good description of the difference.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...non-vs-Halogen

Quick Reply: 2013 A6 LED Headlights v HID Headlights