Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2013 S6 - superficial surface scratches from car wash hand dry

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 S6 - superficial surface scratches from car wash hand dry

So I brought my brand new 2013 S6 9phantom Black Pearl) to my trusted car wash on Sunday. Today in certain light I noticed surface scratches in the form of how a towel would dry a car, literaly all over the place. Needless to say I am pretty pissed. However, they are incredibly superficial and can hardly be seen in certain light, and based on prior experiecne will come out with ease

I know its there even though it can hardly be seen, so my question to you is what is the best way to get them out, Mothers scracth remover? I also want to wax after or get it detailed to protect it during this Boston Winter. getting a car detailed 3 weeks after i picked it up sound odd, but want to protect against winter, salt, etc.

Any ideas? Thanks
Old 11-27-2012, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You've outlined the reason I prefer to wash my cars myself. However, the damage is done.

The first thing I'd try is a coat of wax and see if it fills the scratches. If the results aren't satisfactory, take the car to a proper detailer, one who can measure the paint thickness and knows how to properly operate a power polisher (without burning through the paint). Once the scratches are eliminated, have them apply either a wax or one of the new nanocoatings (the latter should last for a year or more).

Good luck!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Dude, the paint is AWFULLY soft on our cars. Before I took my car, I kept it inside the detail bay, washed it myself and then put two coats of Menzerna Sealant on it.

Upon finishing the first handwash a month later, I saw tons of fine hair scraches from either my wool mitt or fibre towels or whatever. I then proceeded to wax my car again, this time with zymol, which nicely got out all the scratches.

Then I washed the car again and all the fine scratches came back.

GGGGRRRRRRRR. I gave up. I just accepted the fact that this car will have these scratches on it for its duration until I decide to wax it again.

Had I known this, I never would have gotten the estoril blue. I must get white next time.

I must say during my three years with the sprint blue on my s4, I never had one fine hair scratch from the same washing equipment.

It has to be the clearcoat being used on the darker colors and crystal effects.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Grosssman
I know its there even though it can hardly be seen, so my question to you is what is the best way to get them out, Mothers scratch remover?
Any of the liquid products will fill the scratches - not remove them. To eliminate the scratches, a polishing compound is used. It doesn't remove them, it removes the clear coat around the scratches. It also removes the wax so a fresh coat of wax has to be applied.

I also want to wax after or get it detailed to protect it during this Boston Winter. getting a car detailed 3 weeks after i picked it up sound odd, but want to protect against winter, salt, etc. Any ideas?
If you're getting the car professionally detailed, they can buff the scratches out for you. You can wax it your self. There are dozens of products and several sites devoted to washing,
waxing, and paint protection.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=HyperS4;24376647]Had I known this, I never would have gotten the estoril blue. I must get white next time.
QUOTE]

You are not alone with the scratch problem on that color. At my tint guy I noticed little hairline scratches. I never see them unless I look at the trunk like a car judge. I have a fear I put them there when I used my micro fibre towel and my waterless car wash. I might not have been generous enough with the solution. So bummed, but I think they will work out.

Although I still do not regret the color choice. I would do it the same all over again. I just need to move so I can wash my car outside year round. I am not looking forward to the winter.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all your responses. Damn this soft paint
Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've always used touchless car washes for just this reason.

Not quite as effective, but no scratches......

HBH
Old 11-27-2012, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

HBH

I used to bring my S5 there every other week, nothing not a scratch in 2 years. Now 1 wash and i have this...its the paint
Old 11-27-2012, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This thread explains it very well (the reply from Michael Stoops):
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...wirl-Marks-101
Old 11-27-2012, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by newmoon
This thread explains it very well (the reply from Michael Stoops):
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...wirl-Marks-101
good stuff thank you! Im now terrified to get a car wash. I live in a city with no real options do this by myself.

Last edited by Grosssman; 11-27-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: 2013 S6 - superficial surface scratches from car wash hand dry