Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2013 S6 - superficial surface scratches from car wash hand dry

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC
On the first weekend after I picked up my S6, I clay barred then waxed with a DA polisher, followed up with a hand application of carnauba wax. I wanted something that would last me through the winter and it was nice working with new paint. I present to you the ceiling of my garage :P
Nice job Rob!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mwar99
I had the same scratches on mine. I had a professional paint correction detailer work out the scratches last Monday. Please note that what most people consider detailing doesn't get rid of the scratches, they hide them. Paint correction removes the scratches and with proper treatment they will not come back. Not cheap - spent $900. If they are charging you $150 they are not fixing the scratches.

The clear coat is very hard on the Audi, meaning it takes a lot of effort to get these scratches out, but for some reason it does scratch real easy. He spent almost 2 hours buffing the scratches out of the hood. It looked great! The trunk took quite some time as well. Still some scratches under direct light, but outside I couldn't tell.

He tested the thickness of the clear coat before buffing so as to not take too much clear coat off in a thin area. The car looked great clean and as long as you perform a proper wash the scratches should stay away. The problem is where you live in a city environment and don't have the capability to wash it yourself. You need to find a good detailer

I had him use 22PLE sealant. It is new to the US (I believe sometime in the summer). This sealant puts a coating of a glass like substance on the car that is resistant to scratching and should last around 24 months. It isn't as "permanent" as the opti-coat, but works really well. It made the blue a little deeper and makes it look "wet".

This type of thing is certainly a "you get what you pay for" situation.
Great answer, thanks! I need to find a good detailer and sealant
Old 11-28-2012, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiFreakS5
I had a phantom black S5 in which I made the mistake of taking it to the car wash during winter since I can't wash it outside in the snow…what do you know, I got those same scratches on the clear coat. Anyway, when spring came around, I did my own full detail on it with Zaino products and I highly recommend them. They have a detail kit that I bought that was ready to go called Zaino Total Protection Show Car Kit. I used all the products in that kit. Took about 7 hours.

http://www.zainostore.com/
Looks beautiful!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

So does anyone know a great detail shop in Boston that will clay bar, wax, and seal? Should i wait until after winter or do before?

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s5blitzer
Dry (in the COLD using gloves) with high quality microfiber towels. There are a lot of great online sites that sell different brands.
Any recommendations on a good microfiber drying towel? What makes it good besides being expensive? I seem to recall Griots getting good marks on the forum. Detailersdomain.com sells an Uber Super Drying MF towel. Just wondering if it's worth the $30.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ah is this the click 'n' brag thread for black cars now? Here's mine in Brilliant Black so there aren't even any metallic flakes to spoil the mirror reflection. I use the Porter Cable 7424XP dual action polisher, and right now just the readily available Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish. Sealant/wax is a bottle of PermaPlate that the dealer gave me, so I'll finish that off, then move on to some more specialized products. I'm in Florida so I keep my car garaged and can wash it in shorts and flip flops throughout the winter.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Grosssman
So does anyone know a great detail shop in Boston that will clay bar, wax, and seal? Should i wait until after winter or do before?

Thanks!
Try Unique Car Care in Wakefield. One of top ten detailers in the US. Not inexpensive but they specialize in exotic cars and know what they're doing.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiFreakS5
I had a phantom black S5 in which I made the mistake of taking it to the car wash during winter since I can't wash it outside in the snow…what do you know, I got those same scratches on the clear coat. Anyway, when spring came around, I did my own full detail on it with Zaino products and I highly recommend them. They have a detail kit that I bought that was ready to go called Zaino Total Protection Show Car Kit. I used all the products in that kit. Took about 7 hours.

http://www.zainostore.com/
+1 on Zaino! I've used its products for more than 10yrs now. Any fine scratch isn't a problem with Zaino, as long as the paint is still there.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ltdplus9
Any recommendations on a good microfiber drying towel? What makes it good besides being expensive? I seem to recall Griots getting good marks on the forum. Detailersdomain.com sells an Uber Super Drying MF towel. Just wondering if it's worth the $30.
Yes, price should not determine the quality. To be honest with you I don't recall which merchant had the best microfiber towels as this was many years ago. I had purchased several (expensive - high end) towels from Griots, Detailers Domain and Autogeek and one was not was I expected. If I had to make a decision today, I would buy from Griots and I still have their towels (they are distinctive from the rest) and deatiler's domain my 2nd choice.

Another option that I had used on my past BMWs is "the absorber" which is a synthetic drying chamois. Amazon carries it.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltdplus9
Highly recommended by other users, I purchased 2 Microfiber Waffle Weave Drying Towels - 36" x 24" from Detailedimage.com ($33 for both). They work great; due to the thick waffle weave they are exceptionally absorbent and soft. I use my trusty original California Water Blade to get off about half of the water and then use the Waffle Weaves to dry the rest using the "drag" method.

I also use their Chemical Guys Microfiber Wash Cleaning Detergent for all my microfiber cloths. Makes them almost like new and fresh again.

Quick Reply: 2013 S6 - superficial surface scratches from car wash hand dry