Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2014 A6 3.0 Prestige Brake Setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 A6 3.0 Prestige Brake Setup

First post here. We have owned my wife's 2014 A6 3.0T Prestige for over 3 years now -- bought CPO from Audi Henderson back in 2016. Car had 29k miles on it then, and car now has 68k miles. It is time to change the brake pads and rotors. What kind of brake setup is everyone riding with? I was looking to upgrade to something other than stock rotors and pads, but I am worried about aftermarket pads creating a ton of brake dust. Does anyone have any recommendations? I like the look of cross-drilled and slotted rotors, too. Also, I am reading you have to have a special tool to release the electric parking brake to do the rears. Is that true? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here is a picture of her car, btw.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:43 PM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Powerstop offers rotors and pad set for your application for about $365 front and rear.. I switched to their Z26 pads for my S6 due to horrible brake dusting. Z26 are great and dusting is basically none. There are other places like Camaro, hellcat forums that use the Powerstop brakes and owners seem to like them. You can checkout Rockauto.com. Your front rotors should be 356mm. Im sure others will chime in with their experience. I used Carista ($20 Amazon) to release my rear brakes. Pretty inexpensive, unless you plan on doing much more, then Rosstech cable is the way to go.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bpd
Powerstop offers rotors and pad set for your application for about $365 front and rear.. I switched to their Z26 pads for my S6 due to horrible brake dusting. Z26 are great and dusting is basically none. There are other places like Camaro, hellcat forums that use the Powerstop brakes and owners seem to like them. You can checkout Rockauto.com. Your front rotors should be 356mm. Im sure others will chime in with their experience. I used Carista ($20 Amazon) to release my rear brakes. Pretty inexpensive, unless you plan on doing much more, then Rosstech cable is the way to go.
Thanks for the suggestions.

RE: Carista, do you have any online tutorials, youtube videos?
Old 05-07-2019, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bpd
Also, did you have to change the brake pad sensors on all four wheels?
Old 05-08-2019, 12:18 AM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

I don't have any online tutorials, but its pretty intuitive. Just download the app and all the features are free for 30 days. Plug in the Carista module and it hooks up to your phone There is a section called "Service" where releasing brake is there. When you are done, then you activate it again. Forgot the term they use, but its obvious. You can reuse the sensors as long as your brake light did not activate. Use a needle nose pliers to hold the sensor and carefully pull straight up. Don't rock it like I did. I broke some flimsy clips. Or you can buy some aftermarket ones. Powerstop sells them. They are made by the same company that make Audi oem. You only have sensors on the left side front and rear. At least its was on my 17 A6 and 18 S6. Probably same for you. Lots of you tube vids on changing brakes and rotors out.

With Carista I did some extra programming. I turned off start/stop if you have that feature and you don't like it. Basically I made it where I don't have to push the button every time I start it up. It is always off. If I push the button, then it will work. I also changed the daytime running light feature when I use the turn signal. I did not like it when the drl turns off when the turn signal is on. I had it where the drl stays on when the turn signal is on. Up to each owner and I don't know if you can do that with your year.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bpd
I don't have any online tutorials, but its pretty intuitive. Just download the app and all the features are free for 30 days. Plug in the Carista module and it hooks up to your phone There is a section called "Service" where releasing brake is there. When you are done, then you activate it again. Forgot the term they use, but its obvious. You can reuse the sensors as long as your brake light did not activate. Use a needle nose pliers to hold the sensor and carefully pull straight up. Don't rock it like I did. I broke some flimsy clips. Or you can buy some aftermarket ones. Powerstop sells them. They are made by the same company that make Audi oem. You only have sensors on the left side front and rear. At least its was on my 17 A6 and 18 S6. Probably same for you. Lots of you tube vids on changing brakes and rotors out.

With Carista I did some extra programming. I turned off start/stop if you have that feature and you don't like it. Basically I made it where I don't have to push the button every time I start it up. It is always off. If I push the button, then it will work. I also changed the daytime running light feature when I use the turn signal. I did not like it when the drl turns off when the turn signal is on. I had it where the drl stays on when the turn signal is on. Up to each owner and I don't know if you can do that with your year.
Excellent. I purchased the kit from RockAuto you showed me. It comes with the brake sensors -- brake light has not yet activated. I will probably change them just to be on the safe side since it does come with them.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:47 PM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Sounds good. Do follow the break-in process when you install them. Didn't know it came with sensors, which is nice. Give us a review once you get some miles on them.

https://www.powerstop.com/brake-pad-break-in-procedure/
Old 05-08-2019, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bpd
Sounds good. Do follow the break-in process when you install them. Didn't know it came with sensors, which is nice. Give us a review once you get some miles on them.

https://www.powerstop.com/brake-pad-break-in-procedure/
Thanks so much for all your help. I just bought the Carista Car App. Let's see how this works out.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2012 A6.... performed brake job myself. Sourced custom machined rotors and pads from Adams Rotors (quickly shot pics for this post.... wheels/calipers are dirty).
Old 06-03-2019, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

No matter nice work and what a beautiful ride!

Quick Reply: 2014 A6 3.0 Prestige Brake Setup