Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2014 A6 Diesel Emmissions fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Related - yet somewhat different

Had my 2014 A6 TDi "corrected" back in January. Since then, the transmission seems to hunt and you can her an audible "clunk" in the drive line at low speeds <10mph when the transmission finally figures out what gear it needs.

Concerned that U-Joints will wear faster with this activity.

Thoughts?

FYI - MPG has dropped 4mpg in town, around 1mpg or less on the highway @ 80mph. Does not sound nearly as good as it did prior to "fix".
Old 08-28-2018, 04:27 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by A64L3
After a long search I found her. Thanks to all for advise and knowledge.
2 thumbs up, you got a beauty there. All the best.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by jtl60047
Had my 2014 A6 TDi "corrected" back in January. Since then, the transmission seems to hunt and you can her an audible "clunk" in the drive line at low speeds <10mph when the transmission finally figures out what gear it needs.

Thoughts?

FYI - MPG has dropped 4mpg in town, around 1mpg or less on the highway @ 80mph. Does not sound nearly as good as it did prior to "fix".
sounds like a fairly typical result from what I have been reading on the forums.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I had my emissions fix done around mid Feb of this year at roughly 60K miles even. I am at 67K and got the 1K warning for refilling AdBlue.

Assuming they topped it off when they did the fix, that's about a 20% increase in adblue consumption... on the bright side, supposedly they will refill it for free so... we'll see how that goes when I call to schedule it and the SCR catalyst inspection.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jtl60047

Thoughts?

I'm curious if your hunting goes away after the TDI has warmed-up? My TDI started to experience what I have been calling surging and it seems to go away after about 5-10 minutes after a cold start. I started a thread on 08/22 to share my experience with other TDI owners (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...2956448/page3/).

As nhdoc has posted on my thread:

"Drivers may notice some differences in vehicle operation characteristics after the modification, but other than as described in this booklet, drivers should not notice any adverse changes in vehicle reliability, durability, performance, drivability, or other driving characteristics.

The emissions modification will affect your car in the following ways:

 Engine sound may differ somewhat from your vehicle’s prior operation. There might be a difference in combustion noise from the engine that may be noticeable during vehicle warm-up. The potential change in sound will not result in any noticeable changes to the driving characteristics of your vehicle. (I added the bold text to this and the section above for emphasis)

 Shift Patterns - The shifting behavior has been adapted to run with slightly higher engine speeds during vehicle warm-up and when driving at high altitudes.

 Downhill Driving - Removal of the enhanced automatic engine braking feature may require drivers to apply more brake-pedal in downhill driving.

 In Sport mode, some drivers might notice less dynamic shifting behavior.

 Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) consumption - DEF (also known as AdBlue®) consumption for your vehicle may change. Some vehicles may experience an increase of 40% on average. The exact amount of the change will vary depending on driving style and other factors. This means some drivers will need to refill the DEF tank more frequently.

 Decreased Fuel Economy - Your vehicle’s fuel economy will decrease by up to 1 mpg, depending on driving style and habits.

 On-board diagnostic (OBD) system changes – Your OBD system’s operations will be modified based upon the agreement with EPA and CARB and will be compliant with existing emission standards. We do not anticipate that the modification will affect the OBD system in a manner that would make identification and repair of any components difficult, compromise warranty coverage, or compromise your vehicle’s ability to comply with the inspection and maintenance (Smog Check) test of your vehicle. Furthermore, the extended warranty coverage outlined in this booklet offers additional protection for any OBD-related issues. These changes should not be noticeable to you and do not have any impact upon driving characteristics."

As part of the fix, you are entitled to an extended warranty, that among other things, states that in the middle of page nine "conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of the consumer."

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/wp...WEBVERSION.pdf
Old 09-02-2018, 08:29 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

My experiences after fix are pretty much all you've listed with 1 exception...the downhill engine braking seems unchanged. All else is spot-on.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by bpp
My experiences after fix are pretty much all you've listed with 1 exception...the downhill engine braking seems unchanged. All else is spot-on.
very depressing
Old 09-03-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

References to downhill engine braking applied to the Q7, Cayenne and Touareg SUV engine fix. There was a different pamphlet that these SUV owners received that spelled out this change.

Passenger car engines (including Q5) ostensibly were unchanged with regard to downhill driving (or at least no mention was made in the pamphlet). FWIW, my A7 post-fix also still auto-downshifts while going downhill.

Originally Posted by bpp

Last edited by A7_TDI; 09-03-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of threads on other boards discussed an issue described as lurching with the TDI's and some users reported improvement by resetting the throttle adaptation so I am copying the procedure here since it is an easy thing to try:

turn the ignition on - without starting the car.
Press accelerator to the metal (all the way) for 15 seconds.
Release the accelerator.
Turn off the ignition.
And then start the car.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:01 PM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by nhdoc
A couple of threads on other boards discussed an issue described as lurching with the TDI's and some users reported improvement by resetting the throttle adaptation so I am copying the procedure here since it is an easy thing to try:

turn the ignition on - without starting the car.
Press accelerator to the metal (all the way) for 15 seconds.
Release the accelerator.
Turn off the ignition.
And then start the car.
Did this Tuesday and the 'lurching' is gone on my 2014 TDI post fix. It was said that this procedure wouldn't work >2012's. Works for me.

Quick Reply: 2014 A6 Diesel Emmissions fix