Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2014 A6 TDI Fuel Filter Location

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2014 A6 TDI Fuel Filter Location

Hi,

I just hit 15K on my 2014 A6 TDI. Done all of the 15K service except the fuel filter. The parts dept at the dealer tells me its in the engine bay...Where on earth is it located? Its big, silver and ninja-like as far as I can tell. For the life of me I cannot find it!

If anyone could post the service manual instructions too, that'd be great.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2015, 11:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What size engine? The service manual for the 3.0 says that it is under the centre underbody trim.

The fuel filter is located on the underbody.

Steps for removal:

– Remove underbody trim (centre)
– Unscrew nuts
– Swivel bracket downwards, disengage it from mounting points and detach it.
– Place drip tray under fuel filter.
– Use hose clip pliers to disconnect fuel supply hoses and detach fuel filter.

Step 2 - installing:

Install in reverse sequence.
Flow direction is indicated by arrows on filter housing.
Then bleed fuel system
Old 01-20-2015, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Charles. Being that its on the underbody would explain why I couldn't find it in the engine compartment!

Its the 3.0, didn't realize there were multiple engine options on the A6 TDI, I'll include that with any questions in the future.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm in the UK where you can get 2.0 diesel engines!

If you want to PM me your engine code (4 letters) I can check the exact details and the tightening torques etc.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Okay, just in case anyone else looks at this post, I just finished the work and here's what you need to do. I didn't take pictures, honestly, its very obvious when you get down there to look. I only had my front wheels on ramps and there was more than enough room to access everything.

1) The fuel filter is on the passenger side of the underbody trim, have a 10MM nut driver available, there are about 8 or so nuts. I didn't remove it completely just had it hang down from the passenger side.

2) The fuel filter is in the middle, very easy to see. Evidently, the dealer replaced it once on my car because one of the nuts was missing (well done guys), removing the other causes the rear tabs of the cage to angle down and it just comes off. The fuel filter is just hanging at this point.

3) Take the hose clamp off the front, pulling this hose off was much easier than the rear for me. put some paper towels below when you remove the hose and have the cap from the new filter available. Remove the hose, diesel will come out of the filter, put the cap on that side. No fuel came from the detached fuel line.

4) Repeat for the rear, HOWEVER, there will be fuel that comes out from the fuel line on this side. More paper towels (my method) or a drip pan. It was a real pain in the *** to get this hose off this side of the fuel filter.

5) Move the rubber o-rings to the new fuel filter and install the two lines, the arrow on the fuel filter points towards the engine.

6) If the rubber block that supports the fuel lines fell out, put it back on.

7) Put the hose clamps back in the proper place.

8) Hook the VCDS up, use the Engine --> Basic Settings --> Transfer Fuel Pump test --> Go. You will hear the gurgling in the fuel system for maybe 5 seconds. I ran over to look for leaks when it was running (it does not stop after 30 seconds. you need to hit the stop button on the VCDS)

9) Start it up. In my case there was no hesitation at all the engine started up completely in its normal time.

9) Put the underbody trim back in place, tighten things up.

Total time for doing this was about 30ish minutes. Dealer wanted to charge me $195 for the service. So 30 min of time + $40 filter = $160 saved. I'll take it!
The following users liked this post:
long&BLACK (05-03-2020)
Old 01-24-2015, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up!!! Thanks!!
Old 03-16-2015, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 (early) A6 / A7 TDI Fuel Filter

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
Hi,

I just hit 15K on my 2014 A6 TDI. Done all of the 15K service except the fuel filter. The parts dept at the dealer tells me its in the engine bay...Where on earth is it located? Its big, silver and ninja-like as far as I can tell. For the life of me I cannot find it!

If anyone could post the service manual instructions too, that'd be great.

Thanks!

This is identical for my (early) 2014 TDI (3.0) A7; I believe there was a change mid-year such that the latter TDI A7s (and A6?) have the fuel filter accessible from under the hood within a canister. This canister (with replaceable filter cartridge) appears to be very similar to that used for years on VW TDIs.

Over the years I've seen folks insist that the TDI fuel filter change will require a re-prime. I have never encountered this on my pre-CRD Jetta TDI nor on this vehicle. Challenge here (2nd to locating the filter) was getting the damn floor pan covers off to gain access. Filter P/N is: 8TO-127-401-A (cost ~$50 USD); dealer supplied filter was bare-bones (reuse hoses, clamps, rubber isolators).
I've attached some photos to aid fellow pilgrims!

Cheers!
Lou
Attached Images    
Old 01-08-2016, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just an update, I changed this out again and two things I did different:

1) I bought this:
Amazon.com: Lisle 47900 Hose Remover Plier: Automotive Amazon.com: Lisle 47900 Hose Remover Plier: Automotive

Huge help to get the hoses off.

2) Use the plastic caps from the new filter to cap the old inlet/outlet on the fuel filter after using the above tool to keep spillage to a minimum.

Sufficed to say, it was a 20ish minute deal and the mess factor was much more controlled this time around. I think its easier to change this than the oil now that I got the hang of it.

Last edited by 2014a6tdi; 01-08-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry to bring this thread back form the dead, but I'm planning on doing a fuel filter swap with my Audi A7.

I am thinking about filling the fuel filter with Liqui Moly diesel purge. What happens if I get air bubbles in the line due to getting air in the line when I'm replacing the old filter or if I were to accidentally not fill the fuel filter all the way with diesel purge?
Old 09-02-2017, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BurntToast
Sorry to bring this thread back form the dead, but I'm planning on doing a fuel filter swap with my Audi A7.

I am thinking about filling the fuel filter with Liqui Moly diesel purge. What happens if I get air bubbles in the line due to getting air in the line when I'm replacing the old filter or if I were to accidentally not fill the fuel filter all the way with diesel purge?

When you prime it with vcds you won't have air bubbles. All of the diesel purge will likely be in you fuel tank too via the return. I'd say save your money and don't worry about it. If you dump the diesel out of the filter after you change it you'll see why I say that. It's pretty pristine.

good luck.

Quick Reply: 2014 A6 TDI Fuel Filter Location