Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2015 Audi A6 MMI - Dual SIM - Reciving Calls into the car not the phone

Old 08-17-2016, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Audi A6 MMI - Dual SIM - Reciving Calls into the car not the phone

Hello!

I just got my new dual sim with 2,3,4G and phone calls and all that. The problem ive had with connecting my phone Handsfree via BT is that the reception is really bad and BT drains my phones battery a lot, so BT Handsfree is no go option for me. Thats why i got myself Dual SIM, it works like my other one in my iphone, but the problem is that the cars phone is the priority to recieve the calls first. Its all very convenient, but when i lock my car doors or when im not close to my car with doors unlocked or im sitting in my car with someone i don't want them to hear my calls - it takes 5 dial tones to the cars phone to it finally reach to my phone when i don't answer it with Audi's phone.

Does anyone else struggle with this kind of a issue?

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2016, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Turning Bluetooth off all together on your phone when you're in the car should solve that problem.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Goldswing
Turning Bluetooth off all together on your phone when you're in the car should solve that problem.
Bluetooth is off.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

You won't get much input on your setup here. The ability to use the car's built-in phone is not an option on most North American spec cars. For some reason the option became available on my system after the last firmware upgrade, but I know this feature has been available outside North America for a while.

What I'm not quite understanding is how your carrier setup looks like. Dual SIM means something else to me. Dual SIM is a device that has two SIM card slots, so you can associate two separate lines with a single device. Very common on European mobile phones, but not very common this side of the pond. The MMI is not a Dual SIM device, so do you have the same phone number associated with your mobile phone's SIM and the MMI's SIM, or do you have two separate lines and then have multi-line ringing or line hunting setup with your carrier? It sounds like you have line hunting, so when somebody calls your number, your carrier rings the car line first and if nobody picks up they ring your mobile phone.

Either way, this sounds like something on your carriers side that you need to sort out.

Just to confirm my understanding. You elected to make/receive phone calls over the car's built-in phone on the screen below, correct?

The other part I'm wondering about is what you do mean by poor reception? Are you saying your phone has poor reception when inside your car? In my experience, Bluetooth itself uses very little battery, so I'm curious why your battery is draining fast. If you have a very poor cell signal where you live/drive than that would explain it. Phone batteries drain really quick if you have a low cell signal.

If you have a low cell signal, you may wanna look into getting the Audi phone box if available in your country. It will connect your cell phone to the car's external antenna to improve cell reception.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Audi A6 MMI - Dual SIM - Reciving Calls into the car not the phone-wp_20150603_19_03_01_pro-17819830874.jpg  

Last edited by superswiss; 08-18-2016 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by superswiss
You won't get much input on your setup here. The ability to use the car's built-in phone is not an option on most North American spec cars. For some reason the option became available on my system after the last firmware upgrade, but I know this feature has been available outside North America for a while.

What I'm not quite understanding is how your carrier setup looks like. Dual SIM means something else to me. Dual SIM is a device that has two SIM card slots, so you can associate two separate lines with a single device. Very common on European mobile phones, but not very common this side of the pond. The MMI is not a Dual SIM device, so do you have the same phone number associated with your mobile phone's SIM and the MMI's SIM, or do you have two separate lines and then have multi-line ringing or line hunting setup with your carrier? It sounds like you have line hunting, so when somebody calls your number, your carrier rings the car line first and if nobody picks up they ring your mobile phone.

Either way, this sounds like something on your carriers side that you need to sort out.

Just to confirm my understanding. You elected to make/receive phone calls over the car's built-in phone on the screen below, correct?

The other part I'm wondering about is what you do mean by poor reception? Are you saying your phone has poor reception when inside your car? In my experience, Bluetooth itself uses very little battery, so I'm curious why your battery is draining fast. If you have a very poor cell signal where you live/drive than that would explain it. Phone batteries drain really quick if you have a low cell signal.

If you have a low cell signal, you may wanna look into getting the Audi phone box if available in your country. It will connect your cell phone to the car's external antenna to improve cell reception.
Hey!
Dual SIM in a way that i have 2 same SIM cards with same number, so iphone one is duplicated to Audi. I visited my carrier today and they said that iphone one should be the first priority to recieve calls.

Yes, you are correct, im trying to use Audis own built in phone, cause my Audi is from Germany, so everything works perfect with 3G, LTE and so on, but the fact that even when i lock my car doors and leave it outside, the call still goes to car first for the first 5minutes or so after locking the car. After that, the car goes to sleep and i get calls into my phone.

I have PhoneBox as well, but still the quality of the call is way poorer and has a delay compared to straight from car SIM.

Im not sure why it drains. I use my phone a lot, altho i have a brand new iphone 6s i bought last week. 6Ss are not the ones with the best battery life.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 08-18-2016, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Paapua
Hey!
Dual SIM in a way that i have 2 same SIM cards with same number, so iphone one is duplicated to Audi. I visited my carrier today and they said that iphone one should be the first priority to recieve calls.

Yes, you are correct, im trying to use Audis own built in phone, cause my Audi is from Germany, so everything works perfect with 3G, LTE and so on, but the fact that even when i lock my car doors and leave it outside, the call still goes to car first for the first 5minutes or so after locking the car. After that, the car goes to sleep and i get calls into my phone.

I have PhoneBox as well, but still the quality of the call is way poorer and has a delay compared to straight from car SIM.

Im not sure why it drains. I use my phone a lot, altho i have a brand new iphone 6s i bought last week. 6Ss are not the ones with the best battery life.

Thanks for the reply!
Yeah, this is a rather unconventional setup. Honestly the problem must be on your carriers end. You can try putting the car's SIM into another phone and see if it works any different. At least that way you can rule out that the MMI is messing with things. Not sure why you are experiencing delays with your iPhone 6S. I have an iPhone 6S as well and it works perfectly over Bluetooth. If you are using your phone a lot, why don't you plug it in to charge while you are in the car?
Old 08-18-2016, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know this was possible, and not sure it's best set up. If your bluetooth is not working right, I would look at getting that fixed, either on your phone or the car. There are a couple TSBs for that.

Another option is to get a 3rd party bluetooth adapter or headset.

I would reset my phone a couple times and test it with another device to try and pinpoint the problem. Or, maybe even forward your number to another phone number...

My .02
Old 08-19-2016, 02:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

The OP must be located in Europe, the carriers there offer a second SIM. Here in the US, the carriers will not give you a second SIM with the same number. They quote some obscure FCC rule that prohibits it.