Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 A6

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you've been racing your A6 at the track there's no reason that your car should need to have the front (I am assuming they are the front rotors) rotors replaced. Tell the dealer to escalate the problem to Audi in MI otherwise tell them your lawyer will escalate this issue into a class action law suit, be sure and call Audi and tell them your dealer said that is won't be covered by the car's warranty issued by Audi. You'll be surprised how wide the ears at Audi will open up. I have heard that Audi's brakes on the A6 model from the factory are pretty lousy and I believe it as I too have a 2016 A6.
Good luck.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by 1guitar
Unless you've been racing your A6 at the track there's no reason that your car should need to have the front (I am assuming they are the front rotors) rotors replaced. Tell the dealer to escalate the problem to Audi in MI otherwise tell them your lawyer will escalate this issue into a class action law suit, be sure and call Audi and tell them your dealer said that is won't be covered by the car's warranty issued by Audi. You'll be surprised how wide the ears at Audi will open up. I have heard that Audi's brakes on the A6 model from the factory are pretty lousy and I believe it as I too have a 2016 A6.
Good luck.

Interestingly enough my problem was with the rear rotors and I drive very gently. Fronts are fine and there is no evidence of caliper sticking causing any overheating in the rear. I attribute it to a bad batch of rotors. In any event dealer took care of the issue w/o any attempt to deny coverage but then again my car is less than 1 year old with under 11,000 miles. The fact that people are being told they are on their own with cars that have fairly low mileage is beyond absurd behavior on the part of Audi. Good way to alienate your customers.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
What is upsetting/disturbing is the manner in which AOA responds to these issues by denying responsibility/coverage where one would reasonably expect warranty to provide coverage.

Best,
Jeff
Point taken and unfortunately in my rant I forgot to cover that part of it. Thanks !
Old 07-14-2016, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Unfortunate some are having brake issues. Just as a counterpoint, my 2013 A6 3.0T has had zero brake issues at almost 50K miles. No braking vibration or squealing whatsoever. Keep in mind that in the forums you will see posts from owners reporting problems but rarely those who don't. Based on the 5 years of reviewing A6/A7 C7 posts, while there have been a few here and there, I have not seen an extraordinary amount of brake issues reported to indicate it's a widespread issue. Perhaps it's limited to a bad run of rotors on more recent builds.

At the 45K mile service my dealer service tech checked the pads and it looks like I have about 5K-8K miles or so before I'll need to be changing the pads and rotors. Probably could get another 15K-20K miles out of the rotors but I like to start fresh with both.

I took advantage of some 4th of July sales and purchased Zimmermann Coat Z rotors and Audi OEM brake pads online. They are sitting in my garage until the brake warning light comes on. Cost was $550 including sensor cables and an indy will charge $300 to install. All in for $850.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Snagit, all four wheels for $850? That is pretty reasonable.

Your point is well taken as regards the brake issue. As I said in one of my posts the fact that my rear rotors went bad in 10,000 miles doesn't really disturb me -- it is just a machine with lots of parts -- could happen to any car. What is disturbing is the manner in which some owners are treated when they present with a problem clearly not of their own making that one would reasonably expect the manufacturer to take care of. I'm not complaining about my own experience since Audi stepped up but from what the SA told me it is clear that Audi has a policy of trying to avoid warranty work for this issue if they can get away with it. That's just not right IMHO. Rant over.

Best,
Jeff
Old 07-15-2016, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Jeff, I understand your frustration. At the same time, the limited warranty is clear that it does not include brakes - very few auto brands will cover them due to the possibility of abuse or other causes not the fault of the car. No dealer can override the warranty on their own so the stock answer will always be they're not covered. Nevertheless, I agree, in a situation like this, a good service manager should at the least make an attempt at working with the Audi regional service rep or AoA to see if a customer courtesy exception can be made on a new car under a year old or 10K miles. This is where having a good relationship with your service manager can pay off.

As to cost, I ordered the Zimmermann rotors online from Carpartsdiscount.com and the OEM pads from Audionlineparts.com (who also have OEM rotors at significant less cost than a local dealer although more than the Zimmermanns). $550 total on the parts and fast shipping from both. My dealer is willing to install my parts for $450-$500 but an indy shop will be about a 25-35% less on the labor.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After I took my 2001 S4 to the track for a brake-punishing session at VIR, the pads were shot and the rotors warped. Both were replaced under warranty. The dealer had also performed a pre-school inspection and wished me luck. After that I drove with more experience and used high perf pads and had no problems again.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Jeff, I understand your frustration. At the same time, the limited warranty is clear that it does not include brakes - very few auto brands will cover them due to the possibility of abuse or other causes not the fault of the car. No dealer can override the warranty on their own so the stock answer will always be they're not covered. Nevertheless, I agree, in a situation like this, a good service manager should at the least make an attempt at working with the Audi regional service rep or AoA to see if a customer courtesy exception can be made on a new car under a year old or 10K miles. This is where having a good relationship with your service manager can pay off.

As to cost, I ordered the Zimmermann rotors online from Carpartsdiscount.com and the OEM pads from Audionlineparts.com (who also have OEM rotors at significant less cost than a local dealer although more than the Zimmermanns). $550 total on the parts and fast shipping from both. My dealer is willing to install my parts for $450-$500 but an indy shop will be about a 25-35% less on the labor.

Snagit if your numbers are for all four corners of the car certainly not eye popping for a car of this caliber -- nice job! And thanks for sharing the info on where you got the parts.

Agree on the good relationship with one's SM. I figure that the extra dough I throw them by being a nut and changing oil every 5,000 miles can't hurt. Seriously, you make a good point in that can only help if one patronizes the dealer and they get to know you and vice versa. I take your point about warranty coverage of brakes and understand that same are in the nature of a consumable but I think we all agree that rotors going bad in first year or two with under 20,000 miles sans abusive driving isn't typical and AOA should step up and do the right thing (which I am sure that sometimes they do but apparently sometimes they don't). Again, this little interaction with the dealer in no way alters my enjoyment of the car or opinion that it is a very nice ride.

Best,
Jeff
Old 07-15-2016, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Acuransx
Snagit if your numbers are for all four corners of the car certainly not eye popping for a car of this caliber -- nice job! And thanks for sharing the info on where you got the parts.
It's rotors and pads for all four wheels including replacement rear rotor attachment bolts and sensor wires for the front/rear left sides as required.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just updated an old thread I had started about my brake issue (link below) but AoA did end up paying for my new rotors at 11k miles. Vibration probably started around 7k but it took a while before it was annoying enough to get me to the dealer. Dealer said rotors were corroded and scored. Pretty surprising for that to happen so soon.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...eally-2897637/

Quick Reply: 2016 A6