Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 a6 prestige seats uncomfortable

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I have the Prestige ventilated seats and like others, it took some experimentation to find the optimum driving position. I've taken 1000+ mile trips with no discomfort whatsoever. This even after three back surgeries since the car was delivered.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuclearaudiman
On a side note, I see you did some extensive stereo upgrades. Did you have any issue with warranty or do you still have warranty?
Car is CPO'd so I still am under warranty. I have not had to have an warranty work done so no issues with the warranty. Only time will tell...
Old 09-17-2016, 06:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a 2017 A4 prestige loaner and the seats felt like sitting on a wood bench. That's my suggestion. Get a loaner. I adjusted my seat for a few weeks to find a comfortable spot just save the last position. Better 1? Better 2?
Old 09-17-2016, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Don't forget to also adjust the telescoping steering wheel to get the proper angle and length to work with your seat position.
+1

Steering wheel adjusted properly played a significant role in getting it right for me.

KevinGary - Thanks for jogging my memory
Old 09-17-2016, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
+1

Steering wheel adjusted properly played a significant role in getting it right for me.

KevinGary - Thanks for jogging my memory
This is really critical if you drive for long periods of time. You need the seat and the steering wheel to be in your ergonomic sweet spot. I have 48+K miles on my 2014 Audi A6 Prestige with the ventilated seats. I never have driven a car as much as I have driven this Audi. I actually think up places to go because I like touring in it so much. You wouldn't have guessed that if you had asked me in the first couple of weeks of ownership. I was in fact quite unhappy with how hard the seats were in my new chariot.

I really can't tell you if my backside just got used to it or if the seats softened up with time but I find my A6 to be the most comfortable car I have ever owned including my Mercedes Benz's and BMWs. In all fairness my 2013 Acura MDX (wife's car of which I am not particularly fond but it does it's job very well) seats are way more cushy at first sit and they provide tons of air conditioned air quite quietly. The A6 ventilation system roars while accomplishing very little air movement. I'm 73 and at the end of he day I can drive both cars 12 hours and not be stiff or have an aches or pains (beyond the normal ones). Softer cushier seats might not be as truly supportive of good posture. They also might get pressed down or floppier with time.

I think the Audi seats are very cleverly designed. Being a little firmer gives you better support and keeps you from sliding around when you exercise your Audi. Remember those vinyl covered bench seats on which you could literally slide to the passenger side on a left hand turn? Being a little firmer may also be better for you ergonomically. I can't say if you just get accustomed to the firm seats or if they soften up but you will probably end up liking the seats if you bear with it for a while longer. I never even think about them anymore.

I have lower back and hip problems and if the Audi seats couldn't be adjusted to suit me I'd trade the car for something that would. Like I said, I never would have thought that I'd say that in the first week of ownership.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've posted in a couple other threads on this. You are not alone.

I have a 2016 S4 ("sport seats"). It is uncomfortable. I'm 5'10"+. After months of trying to adjust me and the car, I placed a cheap foam pad (literally pulled from the trash) on the seat bottom. It helps a bit but is still uncomfortable...and looks like %$%#. For the rest of the car's driving pleasure, $$$, and interior elegance, this "solution" is incomplete and disappointing at best.

Compounding the problem is the placement of the blinker and especially high beam indicator on the dash make them unseeable in anything that remotely resembles my driving position(s). The top of the steering wheel blocks the view. The hidden high beam problem is downright dangerous...

Yes YMMV...everyone's bottom and preferred position is unique (I am told) .
Old 09-17-2016, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the tips guys. I have adjusted the steering wheel as well , like was mentioned in prior post. Still haven't found that sweet spot as of yet. At least I know I'm not the only person who has gone through this. I had a different dealer look at it and had the manager sit in it and compare with another same model with same seats, just a 2017. I did not tell him anything about the seat issue prior and he thought the seats in my car felt flat compared to the new model. Whether or not this is due to the other car being new or the fact that mine is used(only 11k miles) I don't quite know. Just his opinion. Just in case I decided to have service look at it this week to make sure. If they say its nothing(which they probably will) then Ill know it is just the seats and the way they are. I figured what could it hurt? Or maybe I am taking this just a bit too far
Old 09-17-2016, 02:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sometimes i wonder if its the ventilation aspect. Decreased cushioning to account for the fans?
Old 09-18-2016, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuclearaudiman
Sometimes i wonder if its the ventilation aspect. Decreased cushioning to account for the fans?
Not in my experience. Before purchasing (and since with loaners) I drove A6s with each seat. I found the Prestige seats to actually be a bit softer than the standard seats. I attribute this to the hundreds of ventilation holes causing the surface to feel less firm, at least to me. The fans are set too low in the seat to be a factor.

Last edited by snagitseven; 09-18-2016 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I am 6' 1", 180 with a 36 inch inseam. So it sounds like we are similar. The seat does take some adjusting to find the sweet spot. Don't forget to also adjust the telescoping steering wheel to get the proper angle and length to work with your seat position. With all of that said, if I am going to be driving for longer than an hour I remove my belt. Without the belt between my back and the seat seat I have driven for 10 hours without a problem. If I don't remove my belt, I get uncomfortable at the 2 hour mark. But I am 50 years old and that may be part of the problem. Good luck.
Yes, you and I are of very similar build. I actually drive mostly to and from work. I wear hospital scrubs, so, no belt issue. Like driving in pajamas. I have adjusted wheel like you mentioned and found somewhat comfortable position, or at least I thought. To be honest, after sitting in the seat for about 10 minutes you kinda sink in a bit and I can feel some cush with support. However, after stuck in traffic for 45 min, I start getting cramping in my hamstrings. I am at a loss since I have had the car for almost a month and no resolve yet. I have researched the hell out this. I guess I need to look into a back cushion. Do you have to sit with the seat all the way back and up, or do you sit closer with sit lower tilted back. Just wondering what worked for you.

Quick Reply: 2016 a6 prestige seats uncomfortable