Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 Audi A6 MMI Aux Video Input

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be possible, but you're not connecting to a Windows or Mac computer. Audi has to support a system to support that, and I'm not saying they aren't. Someone with a 16 should get on the $35 24 hour pass for Audi Tech info (as I've done for my 14) and find out what's what.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I tried it today, I bought a insignia usb3.0 to hdmi hooked up to a roku and it said it was not supported, Im going to try some different combinations tomorrow, Ill try usb 2.0 to hdmi if I can find it. Waiting on Apple lightning to HDMI.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I tried the set up suggested and it did not work, it just says device not supported, I guess Ill just use a tablet.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone with a 16' ever figure this out? I posted the following in the Audio/Video section but never got a reply:
Anyone come across a (US spec) digital TV tuner that would work for the 16' A6 or A7 (C7.5)? Preferably to plug into the USB-in input under the armrest? Or, would it be possible for me to plug my Apple TV into the USB input using an HDMI to USB cable, and stream Netflix or other apps from the Apple TV? The Apple TV could connect to the MMI's wifi hotspot connection..
Or, best of all worlds, as I have an unlimited data plan for my iPhone, would it be possible to stream Netflix or other video apps from iPhone to the MMI using some kind of cable or component plugged into the USB port? Thanks for any ideas that you know to work and if possible, links to required cables, components..
Old 01-25-2018, 08:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I found this AUDI A6/S6 2016-2017 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE with BUILT-IN HD SMARTPHONE MIRRORING via HDMI which seems to integrate into the mmi rather than trying to go through the usb.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hope this helps.
the new system still have ami port on the back side
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
audi.pdf (3.25 MB, 4286 views)
Old 07-08-2018, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Interesting. It appears some even have an AMI port in the console. It also looks like it’s just a female USB AMI cable, so basically if you plugged in an AMI cable to the back, you could, but then you’d lose the USB port. Do I read that right?
Old 10-05-2018, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by schalliol
Interesting. It appears some even have an AMI port in the console. It also looks like it’s just a female USB AMI cable, so basically if you plugged in an AMI cable to the back, you could, but then you’d lose the USB port. Do I read that right?
From Mid 2015 build onwards Q7 and 2017 onwards A6 and A7 you can get this directly from Audi for €250 to enable carplay/mirroring
https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/zubehoer/p/retrofit-solution-for-the-audi-smartphone-interface-4m0051472-9?search_term=carplay%20retrofit&channel=904_ASOS
It's purely a software licence, no hardware. I believe you have to pay the Dealer to install it though.
I'm still trying to find a way to enable Google maps/ data in on my non SIM card facelift (2015) A6. The damn thing even has a WiFi AP for streaming audio in, but I cant find anyone who has enabled this AP as a wifi client to send data back into the MMI. (though this is a standard feature on the Audi TT, allowing you to tether off your phone). All the tutorials for data retrofit are for pre facelift A6 with the old AMI port.

Mine just has two USB ports in the tunnel tray, though one has an extra symbol like a phone on it which I take is a reference to AMI. Nothing in the owners guide about it, but it refers to both USB ports as Audi Music Interfaces. It won't take a data tether, it will play media files though. Movies also play without a problem from a standard USB stick, but it specifically states "not from an Apple or MTP device (e.g. smartphone)". Which got me thinking, Is it just streaming the file from the stick? I think it must as it played a movie on the stick almost instantly, it certainly didn't upload the entire file. In which case is it possible to develop a stick which satisfies the USB drivers in the car while at the same time having an active file stream, i.e., a live stream from a phone interface. That way you could watch video, maps, anything that appears on your phone. My cheap sat box can play movie files live or as they are being stored on a usb stick. I can even stream from the stick from another device before recording is finished, It's how Timeshift works. If there are any developer/engineers out there, a usb stick with a live stream input to fool the audi interface would be a hot seller. Something that would connect to your phone, create a file on compliant connected memory which also has a USB plug and feed it a stream of the actual phone screen. Instant mirroring. It could be wireless or blutooth even, once the bit that sticks into the Audi looks and behaves like a bog standard USB stick. My skills in this area are sadly dated, but perhaps some hardware whiz could enlighten us as to how to proceed with such a project.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This thing is really interesting. I only have a '14, but I'm curious if anyone has tried this.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Did anybody ever got it working?

Quick Reply: 2016 Audi A6 MMI Aux Video Input