Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011

2016 Audi A6 Ride Quality Problems

Old 06-10-2019, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default 2016 Audi A6 Ride Quality Problems

My 2016 A6 ride comfort is poor as the suspension does not seem to be able to absorb the impacts and the body bobbles up and down following the undulations of the road. I have the standard suspension with 19 inch wheels and there is only 28,000 miles on it. The local Audi dealer looked at my suspension on June 4, 2019 and found no problems with the suspension and the ride quality was fine. My warranty expires on June 12, 2019. I am disappointed with what the dealer has decided and the harshness from the ride as I drive on city roads gives me a headache. Is there anyone else who has experienced the harsh ride and if Audi fixed it for them while it still had warranty?

Last edited by rockteer99; 06-17-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rockteer99 View Post
My 2016 A6 ride comfort is poor as the suspension does not seem to be able to absorb the impacts and the body bobbles up and down following the undulations of the road. I have the standard suspension with 19 inch wheels and there is only 30,000 miles on it. The local Audi dealer looked at my suspension on June 4, 2019 and found no problems with the suspension and the ride quality was fine. My warranty expires on June 12, 2019. I am disappointed with what the dealer has decided and the hardness from the ride as I drive on city roads gives me a headache. Is there anyone else who has experienced the harsh ride and if Audi fixed it for them while it still had warranty?
Iím no expert in suspension by any means. Is this is your first Audi? Which car are you comparing it to? Iím asking because friend of mine went from Cadillac Deville to an Audi A8L and was swearing up and down about the harsh ride. But to me his A8L was way to soft in comparison to my A6. Also which tires are you on?
Old 06-11-2019, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

what pressure are you running your tires at? You should check the manual (not the door jamb) for the pressures you should be running for your tires and load conditions.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hello everyone, I have driven and owned many Audis over the last 3 decades and so I have a good sense of what to expect from them. I have adjusted the tire pressures several times and it made no significant difference. Yes, I did look up the tire pressure levels in the manual and compared them to the sticker and they vary a lot. I have matched the tire pressures to the manual at 32 psi rear and 35 psi front for normal driving. The door jamb sticker has it at 41 psi rear and 38 psi front which I think is too high; I think it was done for the fuel economy tests. I have varied the tire pressures from 32 to 41 and now settled at 36 psi front and rear. The original Continental tires were just replaced with General Tires AS-05 all-season and the poor ride quality is still a problem. The General tires rides quieter and more compliant than the Continentals. I had Hankook winter tires on 18 inch wheels and the ride was stick uncomfortable.

I also heard and felt the suspension links rattling around a bit in the front.

I may go ahead and replace the struts and bushings using parts from ECS Tuning. I will be visiting an independent garage tomorrow who I have a good relationship with to look into doing the work. I can't live with such a bad ride since the A6 is such a nice car and I guess I was a bit unlucky.

Last edited by rockteer99; 06-17-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

How long have you noticed the harsh ride? It would be very unusual to have suspension issues at 30k miles.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I bought my A6 in September 2018 and it had 25,000 miles on it. I live in Canada and so there is 45,000 km on it now which is 28,000 miles. After driving it for a few weeks, I noticed the harshness of the ride was becoming bothersome. It feels like it has gotten worse since as the current ride is almost unbearable. I did test drive 2 other A6s months before I bought my A6 and I do not recall the rides of those 2 being uncomfortable but those were short test drives.

Thanks.
Ron.

Last edited by rockteer99; 06-17-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ron, if there is nothing wrong with the car, the dealer can't be expected to "fix" things under warranty.

You need to open the Owner's Manual and review the tire pressure section found at the rear of the book. You will find NORMAL load and MAX load. If the car is being used as a taxi cab, use MAX load values. If there is only one person in the car 99% of the time, use NORMAL values as your starting point.

For cars sent to the USA, the B pillar label displays MAX load only. Again, appropriate if you like a punishing ride or are using the car as a taxi cab.

18" wheels/tires may provide some relief. Tire selection can also provide some relief.

Welcome aboard!
Old 06-12-2019, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hello uberwgn, I think there is more going on than just the tire air pressures. The manual actually states that the sticker on the door jamb is to be followed over the table of tire pressures. Driving even at really slow crawling speeds and hitting even small bumps or holes causes a harsh impact felt into the cabin. It should be a simple fix and that is to replace the shocks.

Thanks.
Ron.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This is my 2016 Audi A6, VIN WAUHGAFC8GN022389. Needs new shocks and bushings?
Old 06-12-2019, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Tire Pressure Information from A6 Manual

NOTE: The sticker on the B-pillar is 38 psi front and 41 psi rear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Audi A6 Ride Quality Problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: