Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2016 Audi Connect issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Audi Connect issues

I thought it might be helpful to cross-post something I discovered on the A7 forum as I have found that it also affects my 2016 A6 and feel as if it might be a widespread issue affecting many owners.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-...nnect-2883721/

In summary, when you send a location to your car from GoogleMaps (or the AudiConnect web site itself), even time you go to access the Audi Connect /Online Destination feature from within the "Destination" sub-menu of the navigation tab, it requires to you re-enter your PIN number. In my 2014 this was not the case. You entered your PIN the first time you used it and never needed to again. For drivers like me who like to use the GoogleMaps and/or AudiConnect site to send a destination to the car on a frequent basis, this is highly annoying, and can be downright dangerous if you are already driving when you try to access it. Owners that complained to their dealers and/or AoA got inconsistent feedback that did not seem to resolve the issue. If it is truly a universal flaw, I'm hoping to foster a little grass-roots activity to get them to fix it in a future software release.

The 2nd issue several folks have experienced is that the street address does not properly load from these online destinations, as noted by a couple of posts in the A7 thread. Please feel free to share your experiences if you have a 2016 and either have the same or different result.

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had the same experience; asks for the PIN every time. And about 1/2 the time, it says 'server error, try again later'. Not impressed. The 2013 I traded in had no such issue.

As far as addresses, neither this one nor the old one can deal with addresses sent over the cloud to the car; it will use the GPS coordinates, but will fail when trying to use the actual street address. Surprising, given that this problem has existed for at least 3 years already. The problem with GPS addresses is that if the place is, say, in the middle of a mall, the car can pick very creative (and inefficient) ways to get you there....
Old 08-08-2015, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is the first time using Audi connect on my 2016. In my 2012 Audi connect wasn't offered in S. Korea. They used a 3rd party map and system that is far better than what I have now. Being somewhat new to the area I live now, I have gotten accustomed to use the navigation all the time. I think using the app to send addresses to my car is good since I can type and search faster via phone than the dial or hand writing. But I do understand the frustration of having to enter the pin every time.

I don't use other functions even google map layover. I do any of you guys use other functions like Twitter or Facebook via your car, I just don't see how it can be useful for my daily commutes.

One thing I do miss very much from my 2012 in Korea is the destination search via land line phone number. The addresses and phone numbers matched to about 95% of the time. It made it so easy to input 7 digits rather than lengthy addresses. The maps were allowed free update in Korea for 3 years and after 3 years it was about $100 for the update. For every service visit, they would check and update if necessary. Keep in mind the file size is very small, since South Korea is the same size as Pennsylvania.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hello everyone. I'm a new owner of a 2016 A6 Quattro Premium Plus that I ordered in Germany. Of course the MMI doesn't have Europe maps because the car is a US spec. I got a local sim card in the MMI and got everything working ( I was told by Audi that this won't work unless the car is back in the States) to include Google maps. The only problem or issue is I'm not able to navigate with the Google maps. It won't allow me to input European/Germany cities into the map. The destination country is fixed to US so only US States are available in Google maps. Audi Connect allows me to view local weather, flights and what's happening around me. I'm sure since all the other features are working fine, there should be a way to change the destination country in Google maps especially when I'm not using the Audi loaded maps. When I send an address through Audi Connect from my PC, it receives ok but says " No route available for the selected destination".
Anyone way around?
Old 08-09-2015, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I read a couple of years back from a US serviceman stationed in Europe that he found a place to send hid head unit to a place that could change from Euro maps to US standards before he returned to the US. I would think the reverse could be done but then you would have to switch it back. I would imagine this would be expensive. You can't just have Euro maps installed and expect it to work with Audi Connect.

My advice would be to pick up a Garmin to use until you get back to the states. Not as elegant but a heckuva lot cheaper.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah I went to that shop ( Need4Speed in Nuremberg) and was quoted 500 Euros to have the conversation done to be able to use Europe maps. He stated I'll have to have it converted back again before I take the car to the States. But I spoke to a different Audi dealer who believes he can get it done so I'll go see them on Monday to find out. So far I've been using google maps on my phone and it's not elegant or convenient at all. I'm still not pleased with why Audi won't make both maps available or at least allow dealers to easily upload whatever maps you want. I know BMW allows you to have Europe maps here and you can switch back when you take your car to the States.
I'll update my experience when I visit the Audi dealer tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sellinrain
I thought it might be helpful to cross-post something I discovered on the A7 forum as I have found that it also affects my 2016 A6 and feel as if it might be a widespread issue affecting many owners.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-...nnect-2883721/

In summary, when you send a location to your car from GoogleMaps (or the AudiConnect web site itself), even time you go to access the Audi Connect /Online Destination feature from within the "Destination" sub-menu of the navigation tab, it requires to you re-enter your PIN number. In my 2014 this was not the case. You entered your PIN the first time you used it and never needed to again. For drivers like me who like to use the GoogleMaps and/or AudiConnect site to send a destination to the car on a frequent basis, this is highly annoying, and can be downright dangerous if you are already driving when you try to access it. Owners that complained to their dealers and/or AoA got inconsistent feedback that did not seem to resolve the issue. If it is truly a universal flaw, I'm hoping to foster a little grass-roots activity to get them to fix it in a future software release.

The 2nd issue several folks have experienced is that the street address does not properly load from these online destinations, as noted by a couple of posts in the A7 thread. Please feel free to share your experiences if you have a 2016 and either have the same or different result.

Thanks.
I have a 2016 A6 and I am experiencing the same problem. I have to enter my PIN number every time I want to look at my Audi Connect online destinations. This was not the case with my 2014 A6.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mikem33
I have had the same experience; asks for the PIN every time. And about 1/2 the time, it says 'server error, try again later'. Not impressed. The 2013 I traded in had no such issue.

As far as addresses, neither this one nor the old one can deal with addresses sent over the cloud to the car; it will use the GPS coordinates, but will fail when trying to use the actual street address. Surprising, given that this problem has existed for at least 3 years already. The problem with GPS addresses is that if the place is, say, in the middle of a mall, the car can pick very creative (and inefficient) ways to get you there....
Actually I never had the problem of the street address loading incorrectly with my 2014 A6 -- and I used the Google "Send To Car" feature probably 50 or 60 times. What I noted was that it gave you 2 options, 1 for the regular street address (123 Main St. for example) and the other for the latitude and longitude coordinates. I always picked the street address and never had an issue that caused me to think anything was wrong. I also can't recall the street address loading incorrectly (or not at all) the way it seems to now in my 2016 A6. I guess that is the source of my frustration on both points of my original post -- Audi had a system that worked extremely well and delivered a valuable technology that other competitors could not match, then they made changes that obviously screwed it up.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is this a new problem with 2016? I am a new owner of a 2013. I did my own internet setup - I didn't want to use T mobile and didn't want to go back to the dealer for something I could do.

During the setup there is an option so it does not ask for a password. I think it is explained in one of the audi videos.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Only MY2016 with new MMI and AT&T Audi Connect.

Quick Reply: 2016 Audi Connect issues