Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Is the 3M protective Car film worth it?

Old 09-06-2013, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for everyone's help. I have a XPEL installed setup for tomorrow, will be doing half install (bumper, hood, head lights, mirrors, fenders, back bumper luggage guard). Will let you know how it goes.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rimmi2002
thanks for everyone's help. I have a XPEL installed setup for tomorrow, will be doing half install (bumper, hood, head lights, mirrors, fenders, back bumper luggage guard). Will let you know how it goes.
Good decision.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rimmi2002
You might want to add the A pillars just to the front edge of the roof. I didn't do them originally and got a couple of small chips on one. When I went in for my Opti-coat a year later, I had my detailer install Xpel on the pillars after a paint touch up. Also you might want to consider adding the rocker panels; lots of road junk bouncing up there. And hopefully, your installer is wrapping the hood and fender edges to hide the seams.

You'll love the Xpel Ultimate - great stuff (and good customer service if you ever need help or have any questions).

Last edited by snagitseven; 09-06-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
You might want to add the A pillars just to the front edge of the roof. I didn't do them origigally and got a couple of small chips on one. When I went in for my Opti-coat a year later, I had my detailer install Xpel on the pillars after a paint touch up. Also you might want to consider adding the rocker panels; lots of road junk bouncing up there. And hopefully, your installer is wrapping the hood and fender edges to hide the seams.

You'll love the Xpel Ultimate - great stuff (and good customer service if you ever need help or have any questions).
+1 on the A pillar. Plus add the door cups behind the handles so rings and fingernails don't leave scratches over time.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Has anyone tried to put XPEL on themselves? I'm stationed in Europe and there are no dealers/installers in Germany so I would have to attempt this on my own.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You might want to add the A pillars just to the front edge of the roof. I didn't do them originally and got a couple of small chips on one. When I went in for my Opti-coat a year later, I had my detailer install Xpel on the pillars after a paint touch up. Also you might want to consider adding the rocker panels; lots of road junk bouncing up there. And hopefully, your installer is wrapping the hood and fender edges to hide the seams.

Snagitseven - I am considering the rocker panels and A pillar as you suggested, but have a few questions.
How far back on the roof line does your x-pel go? All the way up to the start of the sunroof?
On the rocker panels, are you covering more then the S line trim along the side? If so, how far up from the S line trim does the x-pel go? Seems like the crease line on the doors maybe a good place to stop?

I would like to get your input as I plan on having my new car protected when it arrives in the next week or so. So really interested in your feedback since you have already had the x-pel on your A6 for awhile now.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

my
Originally Posted by Moodys2014a6
Snagitseven - I am considering the rocker panels and A pillar as you suggested, but have a few questions.
How far back on the roof line does your x-pel go? All the way up to the start of the sunroof?
On the rocker panels, are you covering more then the S line trim along the side? If so, how far up from the S line trim does the x-pel go? Seems like the crease line on the doors maybe a good place to stop?

I would like to get your input as I plan on having my new car protected when it arrives in the next week or so. So really interested in your feedback since you have already had the x-pel on your A6 for awhile now.
On my A pillars, just to the tops - nothing on the roof and just the S-Line rocker panels themselves - nothing above its seams or on the body or doors. We left on the factory applied plastic "chip guard film" pieces just behind the front wheels.

If you haven't already, consider Opti-coat for the whole car including the Xpel. I'm very pleased with the results. Easier to clean (especially the wheels) and provides extra protection to the paint and film. I paid $300 for it to be professionally applied. Optimum told me there's no need to wax but a detailer spray or Optimum Spray Wax can be applied over the Opti-coat for a bit more of that slick feel. (The Opti-coat is very shiny but has a bit of surface resistance to it). However, they tell me wax doesn't last as long - I haven't waxed yet since the Opti-coat was applied three weeks ago.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you haven't already, consider Opti-coat for the whole car including the Xpel. I'm very pleased with the results. Easier to clean (especially the wheels) and provides extra protection to the paint and film. I paid $300 for it to be professionally applied. Optimum told me there's no need to wax but a detailer spray or Optimum Spray Wax can be applied over the Opti-coat for a bit more of that slick feel. (The Opti-coat is very shiny but has a bit of surface resistance to it). However, they tell me wax doesn't last as long - I haven't waxed yet since the Opti-coat was applied three weeks ago.
Glad to see you are liking your Opti-Coat. These new coatings are really the way to go IMO for slickness, water / dirt shedding, longevity, etc. I went with C-Quartz myself as I liked the gloss a bit better and I put it on myself and it is a tad easier to work with than Opti-Coat. I have really been impressed. But really IMO between C-Quartz, Opti-Coat, G-Techniq or 22ple, you can't go wrong with any of these on your car
Old 09-16-2013, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We left on the factory applied plastic "chip guard film" pieces just behind the front wheels.
Interesting. I had a question about this when I first got my car, I didn't realize it came that way from the factory.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, they're nothing as sophisticated as say, Xpel Ultimate, just hunks of heavy, adhered polymer pieces to keep the rock chips down from the front wheels in that spot. I think Audi does that in all models - I believe they were on my '09 A4 as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the 3M protective Car film worth it?