Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Is the 3M protective Car film worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

I will freely admit I'm an Xpel Ultimate fanboy but I don't have any professional relationship with Xpel. I'm just a very satisfied customer like so many others and did a lot of research on the product before I took the plunge. Over a year later and I'm still very pleased (not one rock chip in the film).
Old 10-07-2013, 10:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know what Audi exactly uses on their rocker panels? My buddies dad said it was some kind of chip guard tape I would preferably like to use the same product as the manufacturer but I have heard of similar material being used by others. Has anyone used the 3M tape and have pictures? I don't want to use it and have it end up looking bad.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rreeves91
Anyone know what Audi exactly uses on their rocker panels? My buddies dad said it was some kind of chip guard tape I would preferably like to use the same product as the manufacturer but I have heard of similar material being used by others. Has anyone used the 3M tape and have pictures? I don't want to use it and have it end up looking bad.
Not sure what you want to do and I don't know what the the small piece of rocker panel chip guard stuff is but you definitely would not want to use it on any part of the car including the hood, fenders, etc. It's way too thick and rough and I doubt it would let the finish show through properly. I had Xpel Ultimate installed on the rocker panels along with the full front.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

With yellowing issues aside, I haven't seen much discussion on how truly invisbile XPel Ultimate is, particularly on a white car. I'm taking delivery of a 2014 A6 (Glacier White) next week, and am debating Xpel Ultimate + Opti Coat vs just Opti Coat. I value the added protection, but I really don't want those visible lines when my car is less than perfectly clean.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by new2audi2014
With yellowing issues aside, I haven't seen much discussion on how truly invisbile XPel Ultimate is, particularly on a white car. I'm taking delivery of a 2014 A6 (Glacier White) next week, and am debating Xpel Ultimate + Opti Coat vs just Opti Coat. I value the added protection, but I really don't want those visible lines when my car is less than perfectly clean.
The Ultimate is virtually invisible until you get your nose almost right on it. If you have the full hood and fender edges wrapped (custom cut, not kits), there are no seams. On the bumper and other areas, if the installer is good, you would be hard pressed to see them, particularly in the busy, complex areas.

The Ultimate will prevent rock chips. The Opti-Coat (and other paint sealants) can't do that but it protects the paint and Xpel film from UV and other environmental damage over the years, repells dirt longer while making it easier to clean and virtually eliminates the need for waxing. The best protection is to do both - full front and rocker panels with the Ultimate followed by the whole car and wheels with an application of Opti-Coat Pro.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The Ultimate is virtually invisible until you get your nose almost right on it. If you have the full hood and fender edges wrapped (custom cut, not kits), there are no seams. On the bumper and other areas, if the installer is good, you would be hard pressed to see them, particularly in the busy, complex areas.

The Ultimate will prevent rock chips. The Opti-Coat (and other paint sealants) can't do that but it protects the paint and Xpel film from UV and other environmental damage over the years, repells dirt longer while making it easier to clean and virtually eliminates the need for waxing. The best protection is to do both - full front and rocker panels with the Ultimate followed by the whole car and wheels with an application of Opti-Coat Pro.
Thanks for the reassurance. I will likely go for both, and make sure to get the custom cut so that there are no seams. Looking forward to getting my new toy next week!
Old 10-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have used the 3M product on a 2007 Dark Metallic Blue Corvette. I have not experienced any yellowing. I had taken a significant shot on the freeway from some flying debris. The 3M material was damaged, but I was very surprised how well it protected the paint.

Worth the money in my opinion!
Old 10-26-2013, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by new2audi2014
Do Both. If you look in my signature, I have CQuartz (which I prefer over Opti-coat) and XPel and am quite happy. I also have just the partial hood (I believe full hood is overkill but to each their own) and it is extremely difficult to notice. You have to look very very close to even notice the line where it ends and the rest of the hood begins
Old 10-26-2013, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

As you say, to each their own, but I don't believe a full hood is overkill. Kicked up road debris is not always cooperative - If a stone can hit the first few inches of the hood, there's still a chance for one to whack the the hood behind the bra (or the A pillars, fenders and bumper for that matter). I've had bras in the past and had hood chips beyond the film coverage. Based on the chips and pitting I already see in my windshield, that indicates to me rocks are managing to make it past the leading edge of the hood. Also, while the seam might be hard to see, it's there and some folks (like me) just don't want seams visible at all in the more obvious, larger areas like the hood and fenders. The only benefit I see to a bra vs. a complete hood is the cost. If one were to also pay for covering the doors, roof, rear fenders and full back with Xpel Ultimate, that would be overkill IMO. And would cost a whole bunch of dough.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
As you say, to each their own, but I don't believe a full hood is overkill. Kicked up road debris is not always cooperative - If a stone can hit the first few inches of the hood, there's still a chance for one to whack the the hood behind the bra (or the A pillars, fenders and bumper for that matter). I've had bras in the past and had hood chips beyond the film coverage. Based on the chips and pitting I already see in my windshield, that indicates to me rocks are managing to make it past the leading edge of the hood. Also, while the seam might be hard to see, it's there and some folks (like me) just don't want seams visible at all in the more obvious, larger areas like the hood and fenders. The only benefit I see to a bra vs. a complete hood is the cost. If one were to also pay for covering the doors, roof, rear fenders and full back with Xpel Ultimate, that would be overkill IMO. And would cost a whole bunch of dough.
I'm getting Xpel installed on my full front bumper and side mirror housings. What's a reasonable price? The guy I received a quote from wants $300 for that and from what I can tell, he is supposed to be outstanding and completed many of the Tesla's and other high end cars around here

Quick Reply: Is the 3M protective Car film worth it?