Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

7k miles road trip, rent a car or use my own?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Won't dispute that all of that may very well happen (I fly United almost exclusively and get the plus seats, so the tin can reference doesn't necessarily apply to me), but there is that one critical safety difference in that you're far more likely to croak via automobile than die on a bird. That said, if someone doesn't mind the 10+ hours of driving it would take to cover the OP's travel distance, driving an Audi is certainly a nice way to do it.

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Some people, myself included, would rather not fly. We drive every where. Not sure about the OP, but personally, I won't fly because I refuse to be crammed into a tin can with hundreds of other people, breathing recirculated air, containing god knows what, with any ailments they may have, any stinks they may have, being groped and harassed before getting into said tin can, and having no control over my own destiny.

No thanks. Give me a car any day. By myself, being able to open the windows, stop when I feel like stopping, and being in complete control.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I think is OP's plan is to actually drive and enjoy the road trip. It doesnt look from his statement that he needs to reach a certain destination rather he wants to "drive" 7K miles for a given number of days.

I personally love C7 and yes it is joy to drive and yes a road trip is a perfect opportunity to fully enjoy this amazing machine. 7K miles, however, is a lot. Some people put 7K in a year. So depending on how financially a person is doing, one may decide to take Audi or rent a car. Clearly from OP's question one may infer that he is asking what is more cost beneficial. I believe he wont argue which car is more enjoyable to drive rather he prefers to know which option is more economically prudent (rent or drive C7). In this instance if $30/day rent is factored in vs 7K miles depreciation/wear tear/possible chips etc on his C7, it is clear that renting a car will be a correct choice.

Last edited by salvadorik; 01-08-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

folks: just checked my vacation schedule. I can max out 3 weeks for the trip. It is a bit short for traversing east-west, drive around, and then back. my wife can't drive so I am on my own.. I'd probably fly somewhere out there and rent a car. Thanks to everyone!

PS: It's a pity I can't drive my own car. I drive very little usually and I use subway to commute to work.. sigh...I envy those living on the west coast/mountains!!

Last edited by q5q7; 01-08-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get a rental if driving cross country is required. You'll have rocks, mud, and dirt all over (especially this time of year). People eating in the car and spilling. Most cross country drives are pretty flat and boring, so the handling of your Audi is not as relevant. There's a reason companies pay reimburse mileage above the gas price...wear and tear, no matter if you think it's there or not...to me not worth the hassle. The extra miles only put you closer to new brakes, tires, maintainance, etc. Yes, you'll be thinking about all the features your car has and the rental doesn't...but that will make you appreciate your car even more when you get home.
The following users liked this post:
Agostino Visale (07-15-2020)
Old 01-08-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by q5q7
folks: just checked my vacation schedule. I can max out 3 weeks for the trip. It is a bit short for traversing east-west, drive around, and then back. I'd probably fly somewhere out there and rent a car. I appreciate everyone's input.
I would keep it east of the Mississippi if time was a factor. Hit Tail of the Dragon, Daytona, New Orleans, St Louie, Chi-town, Cleveland, Niagara Falls, Toronto, Boston or something like that. There's a lot of flat boring real estate between Arkansas and Cali.

You can always fly out another year and tour the western states.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Banned

+1,000,000

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Some people, myself included, would rather not fly. We drive every where. Not sure about the OP, but personally, I won't fly because I refuse to be crammed into a tin can with hundreds of other people, breathing recirculated air, containing god knows what, with any ailments they may have, any stinks they may have, being groped and harassed before getting into said tin can, and having no control over my own destiny.

No thanks. Give me a car any day. By myself, being able to open the windows, stop when I feel like stopping, and being in complete control.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
"Just don't take a leased car." I'd like to question this. I just ran the numbers on an MDX I owned for 10 years. Depreciation alone was 38-cents/mile, and when you add in Insurance, Tires, Maintenance, Wear and Tear etc., the costs go to a little over 50-cents per mile. Driving a leased car over the "mileage limit" and paying and extra 25-30 cents/mile is cheap no matter how you figure it.
I will diverge on this thread for a brief moment.

When you sell your MDX you get something in return. The biggest take away for me is that when I'm done making car payments, I at least have something to show for it. I've leased before and I'll never do it again. It was nothing but a snowball of problems from one car to the next, over mileage or not. Turned in or traded in - I made payments and had nothing in the end. Trade an over mileage lease to avoid to excess penalty but you'll still get clobbered on the back-end of the car deal - monthly payments will only increase.

Based on that experience, here's my take on a car lease:

"No, Avis/Hertz/Enterprise, I insist... let ME pay for the oil changes, let ME pay for the registration and insurance, let ME pay to replace the tires and brakes, let ME pay for car washes, and wiper blades while I rent your car."

Cut it however you like - a lease is just a long-term rental. It works for some people but it doesn't pay off for people who actually drive. In terms of "getting a new car every few years," try trading in a leased car after having it for a few months and deciding you hate it. As for road trips, you're still responsible if something happens during your lease and at least you can get 100% waivers with an actual rental and truly walk away.

Otherwise, if you own it, who cares how many miles it has and who cares what it's worth? It really only matters come the day you sell it. In the meantime, if you have it, use it.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by q5q7
folks: just checked my vacation schedule. I can max out 3 weeks for the trip. It is a bit short for traversing east-west, drive around, and then back. I'd probably fly somewhere out there and rent a car. I appreciate everyone's input.

PS: It's a pity I can't drive my own car. I drive very little usually and I use subway to commute to work.. sigh...I envy those living on the west coast/mountains!!
It takes 7 hours to travel 500 miles. You can plan your drive based on that, weather permitting. Going by car opens up new opportunities to explore areas you'd otherwise never see. I've done numerous cross-country drives, solo.

The nervous jitters are normal. Once you get a groove and past the first leg, you'll be open to many things and have a new sense of discovery. I can write an entire blog on the subject. I come across many people who wish they could do it... it's on a few bucket lists I'm sure. Once you make the drive coast-to-coast, you'll get a new sense for the country. You might even be able to put the size and geography into perspective along the way - which is where the discovery plays a role. Most importantly, once you've done it, you'll get the itch to do it again.

There are states that I do not stop in and there are states where I really look forward to visiting again. I plan based around this and that is a true luxury to have and a great freedom that should not be taken for granted.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Car rent

If you want to relax and you travel alone use your car. But if it a business trip and you traveling with somebody you should rent a car
Old 07-15-2020, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm thinking about doing 3k mile road trip once pandemic dies down a bit. And decided to rent a car instead of driving my a6. It's just more worry free that way for me.

Quick Reply: 7k miles road trip, rent a car or use my own?