Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 2016 gps issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default A6 2016 gps issues

I recently purchased a 2016 a6 premium. I love the car but am very disappointed in the mmi gps system. My issues are:

The gps doesn't seem to auto reroute properly. For example if I'm driving on a road and I miss my turn, the gps tells me to make a u-turn for quite some time. Other GPS systems like Waze and google maps will reroute me much quickly. Audi consistently recommends a u-turn to go back to original route. It will eventually reroute but after a long time no time.

2nd issue occurred last night. I had about a 1 hour drive but the Audi GPS had my estimated time 2 1/2 hours instead of 1 hour. It had the correct route bit it said it would take 1 1/2 hours longe ETA than Waze or google maps.

I got on the phone with Audi support today. We reset everything.
One thing they had concern of is that my dilay did not show TMC which stands for traffic monitoring center. They said it should be displayed on the lower right corner of the display. They were not too familiar with the 2016 mmi so not 100% sure it should be there.
I asked about SW updates and they said they should be automatically downloaded over Audi connect. My version # is
SW MHI2_US_AUG11_PO533
Thanks.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

You have to blame NavTeq on the routing algorithms as that's the map data that's used by Audi.

Have you checked the Route options? If you select "Short", the routing can minimize the U-Turn nags. If set to "Fast", it will always try to route if it saves even 1 second of time. My Garmin works the same way. Also, a lot depends on your "Highway" setting. If Highway is not deselected, the route will always try for some time to have you turn around and head for an interstate if it's faster or shorter.

As to your ETA discrepancies, that is strange. My MMI is always more conservative than Google or Apple Map on my phone, it's never that far off unless there is traffic being reported on the MMI but not on the phone apps. Finally, the MMI nav does not provide a "no U turns" option (like my Garmin) which would avoid it all together.

I wouldn't worry about the TMC logo. Even though traffic is available, the logo doesn't always appear on my display. Really doesn't affect anything if traffic is working.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure about the discrepancy between MMI Nav and Google/Waze ETAs, but I don't believe 2016s show TMC ... they use Inrix traffic, which uses the cell connectivity for traffic vs. TMC.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't see any Route Options to set to fast or short. I've checked nav/settings and only shows route criteria which allows me to allow or avoid hov, tolls, etc.
Thanks
Old 08-30-2015, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Whatever16
I don't see any Route Options to set to fast or short. I've checked nav/settings and only shows route criteria which allows me to allow or avoid hov, tolls, etc.
Thanks
Hmm. On my 2013, I go to Nav>Settings>Route Criteria>Route Options and the selections are Short, Fast or Mixed. Maybe it changed for MY2016.
Under Route Options, besides Highway/Toll road/Ferry and the short/fast/mixed, I also have selections for Time Restricted roads and Seasonal Closing options. No HOV though.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I don't have any experience with the updated MMI in MY2016, but as snagit says, I would definitely check your route options. There should be a setting somewhere to tell whether you want to shortest, fastest or balanced route. Pretty much any GPS has that. The 3G+ and earlier definitely has it and I've used the newer MMI in the A3 and it has it as well.

In my experience, any navi suggests a u-turn if that meets the route criteria better than selecting an alternate route. For example if you have it set to shortest route and the u-turn is in fact the shortest route, it will select the u-turn.

Your significant discrepancy with the time estimate, seems to indicate that your nav has trouble correctly estimating the driving time, which could be part of the problem. Where are you located? It could be that the NavTeq maps are really bad for you area.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, I just spoke to Audi support and after some research, they said that route options has been removed from MY2016 and it automatically defaults to fastest route. This is very disappointing in that this is my first Audi and this is a major issue. I drive all over and having a navigation system that is sub-par on such a car that touts the latest technology is not good. I use nav systems on all types of vehicles and this one is on the bottom of the list.
Not sure if I have any recourse but thanks for the advice.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Well, I just spoke to Audi support and after some research, they said that route options has been removed from MY2016 and it automatically defaults to fastest route. This is very disappointing in that this is my first Audi and this is a major issue. I drive all over and having a navigation system that is sub-par on such a car that touts the latest technology is not good. I use nav systems on all types of vehicles and this one is on the bottom of the list.
Unbelievable! I wonder what was their reasoning in doing such a thing.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, I guess our definition of "major issue" would be a bit different. The nav will still get you to where you want to go perhaps despite not being as flexible in some ways as other navs. On the other hand, the integration with voice command and online Google search plus some of the other Audi Connect features that work well with the nav, make it very functional (and much better than fooling around with a small screen phone while driving).

Everything is relative and a major issue by my definition would be if a significantly important component of the car had a problem (it doesn't for me). The nav system in my 2013 is very adequate and almost always gets me to my selected destination without fanfare.

A note on your missing route options...I'm always set to "fastest" because when I try shortest, it takes me on too many side streets just to save a few feet of distance (same as on my Garmin). Which of course, will take longer. (I have no idea what the "Mixed" option does). I haven't changed any of the nav settings since the car was new.
Bottom line, upon reflection, I can see maybe why they have deleted the other options.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Unbelievable! I wonder what was their reasoning in doing such a thing.
Honestly, it makes perfect sense. Unless I purposely go for a scenic drive or something, I generally wanna arrive at my destination as fast as possible based on the current traffic, so I always use fastest route on any nav I've ever used.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-30-2015 at 02:55 PM.

Quick Reply: A6 2016 gps issues