Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 Active Lane Assist Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sadly my A6 was stolen last Friday night; while we were sleeping some entered the house, searched and found the car keys in my jacket, stole a few opportunity items and left with the car.

I was going to retrofit more.....
Old 05-30-2016, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Holy crap!! Did anyone find it yet? Can Audi help with positioning via the cell service?
Old 05-30-2016, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by schalliol
Holy crap!! Did anyone find it yet? Can Audi help with positioning via the cell service?
The Police are confident the car was on its way to a place where it would be sold into parts already as I spoke to them.

As for trackers, even if I had one installed it would had been found in a trash bin, as it usually happens around here.

Just beats me why in a street where there are plenty of new model beemers and mercedes they came looking for a simple SE - though she was cool, gotta admit it
Old 06-29-2016, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

How well does the Lane Assist feature on your 2012 keep you centered in the lane? Does it work as well as it does in this video? Assume, of course, your hands were gently moving the steering wheel and there wasn't a water bottle providing the gentle movement.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Lindenberg,

That's extremely perceptive of you. Good research. Every system has it's flaws and the active lane assist is dependent on the lane markings. I'm not exactly sure or have no concrete proof but It seems during certain hours where sun is in front of you at certain angle, the system looses sight of the lines. Could be the quality of the lines, could be the sun blinding the camera, not sure. On lanes with good markings system operates impressively well in my opinion at safe speed. Too fast a speed when hitting a turn (depending on radius) could cause unrecoverable break from lanes.
All in all - I love this feature. It's not meant to drive you, and as long as you don't have that expectation... realizing it's an aid to help provide additional buffer of protection it's absolutely worth it. And everyone in a while I do have my fun letting it drive me around subtle curves.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:09 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
Hi Lindenberg,

That's extremely perceptive of you. Good research. Every system has it's flaws and the active lane assist is dependent on the lane markings. I'm not exactly sure or have no concrete proof but It seems during certain hours where sun is in front of you at certain angle, the system looses sight of the lines. Could be the quality of the lines, could be the sun blinding the camera, not sure. On lanes with good markings system operates impressively well in my opinion at safe speed. Too fast a speed when hitting a turn (depending on radius) could cause unrecoverable break from lanes.
All in all - I love this feature. It's not meant to drive you, and as long as you don't have that expectation... realizing it's an aid to help provide additional buffer of protection it's absolutely worth it. And everyone in a while I do have my fun letting it drive me around subtle curves.
This is exactly right. It's an aide. And nowhere near Mercedes' new drive pilot system. The width of freedom between the lane markings is determined by the early or late intervention setting. However, even in the early setting, the width of freedom is still about 3 feet meaning the steering won't intervene until that boundary is reached. Even this three foot buffer will cause the car to subtly bounce back and forth if you attempt to let the car drive itself. It is due to this passive and primitive nature of the system that it should not be relied upon for autonomous driving. And regarding the camera sensitivity, I find it particularly dislikes concreete freeways and the lack of contrast in white lane markings on them.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
....And regarding the camera sensitivity, I find it particularly dislikes concreete freeways and the lack of contrast in white lane markings on them.
Interesting... I suspected the sun's glare was whitewashing the lines making camera not able to identify the lane markings. The contrast theory brings me a little more comfort to my suspicions. Thank you for the insight.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Are there any other Audi models where the lane assist feature can be activated just like you did on the A6?
Old 07-07-2016, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Lindenberg
Are there any other Audi models where the lane assist feature can be activated just like you did on the A6?
Active lane assist can be more easily installed on cars that already have the windshield camera. This windshield camera comes on cars that have the adaptive cruise control.

Also, car platform/model must have had the feature available to it, in order to unlock the programming for that feature. So if the car was never offered with the feature to begin with... chances are it might not be retrofittable due to missing controllers/software and wire harnesses.

If the car does not have ACC and is missing the windshield camera, then you will have more work to do but still possible to install. See Mrclopec's thread below where he had to replace windshield and install camera + wire in the camera.

So thus far the A6, Q5 confirmed, and surely the A7 as well since it's similar platform as the A6.

This is still a fairly new mod, so i'm sure we'll learn more as others attempt this mod on their own.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-done-2886241/

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 07-08-2016 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone know if the programming is possible with OBDeleven? Thanks.

Quick Reply: A6 Active Lane Assist Retrofit