Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 Active Lane Assist Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 03:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also retrofitted ALA with success and have the ACC option. My A7 is model 2011 and required replacement of the Video module (8E) to a newer, both HW & SW was outdated. I also needed to update the SW in the Camera (85).
Old 11-20-2015, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sutherland
I have been thinking of fitting this to my A8 D4. Of the modules 10, 16, 17, 44, 85 and 8E, I have everything except 44 (Steering Assist). My impression is that what this module does may be controlled elsewhere in my car, so 44 may not be essential to the operation of Lane Assist in my car. Does anyone know if I am correct?

I could just try fitting the new set of column stalks and see if it will work, but perhaps you have the knowledge to save me a pointless dismantling operation.

Thanks.
Hi Sutherland!
Unfortunately your profile/signature doesn't list your car info so I can only assume the software may be different due to year difference and that module's information is maybe located in other areas. If you are doing the mods yourself it's just time and patience to see if you are rewarded with success. If it doesn't work then it's not a very expensive upgrade for those already having ACC. If no experience with steering wheel and air bag removal than find local independent shop for more affordable and safe replacement. Once wheel is off, the column switch is pretty easy.

With modding cars, we all have to risk something, whether it's time, money, failure, or something breaking. Luckily this isn't a very high risk mod and as long as you save your initial vagcom data to revert back if necessary. I'm a VagCom newbie but I'm hopeful others will help if Vagcom settings are different and need to be studied for your particular application.

Good luck and wish you Success!
Old 11-21-2015, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you both for your responses.

My car is an A8 4.2 TDI with Audi assist package with pre-sense plus, Night vision assistant with pedestrian detection, Electric slide-and-tilt solar panel sunroof, Seat ventilation and massage function for front seats, Mobile telephone preparation - High with Bluetooth privacy headset, Deluxe 4-zone climate control, BOSE surround-sound, Valcona leather Comfort seats, Extended leather package, Rear window blind & rear side blinds, Advanced key, Adaptive light and high beam assist, CD/DVD changer, Power-operated boot lid, Audi parking system advanced with additional rear view camera, Heated front & rear seats, Upper inlays - Vavona wood, assam grey, Lower inlays - Brushed aluminium, silver, Through-load facility, Comfort headrests for rear seats, Garage door opener (Home Link), Heated 4-spoke leather multi-function steering wheel with gear-shift paddles.

The Audi assist package at the time my car was sold included Audi adaptive cruise control with Stop&Go function including pre-sense front, Audi side assist including pre-sense rear, Pre-sense plus, an expansion of the Audi braking guard. Lane Assist was another option, requiring 4 spoke steering wheel which I also have.

I think this means I have enough in theory to make the Lane Assist work, but perhaps the only way to find out is indeed to go on a trial and error basis. I have removed airbags and steering wheels before without calamity, though that does not mean I will not cause an explosion in future.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Active Lane Assist in HUD

So now that I've been enjoying using the active lane assist, I was thinking the other day how it would be nice if I didn't have to take my eyes off the road to look down on dash to see if both side lane markings are being recognized.

After doing some searches, I was happy to discover active lane assist actually does show up in HUD, I just didn't realize this was an option so didn't know to go in to activate it with VAGcom. Sure enough.. found it.. Did it! Loving it!
Activated Bit2, see pic 5 below. Sorry the shot of HUD not the best. HUD display will indicate if it recognizes left, or right, only or both.

Update:

My ALA HUD icon dissapeared after I had activated it. So I deactivated the feature in VagCom since figued my HUD went bad. But then last week I reactivated it and once more the HUD again displayed ALA icon, but again disappeared next time I started the car. So... turns out the HUD needs to be coded for MMI activation as well. Went to HUD controller, adaptation. Then went to pull downs and selected "Personalized settings - MMI Lane Departure Warning System", changed value to "YES". There were many instances of this setting so I did first two and it worked. But went back and switched all instances to "Yes". See Pics 3 & 4.
Problem solved = )
Attached Images      

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 01-03-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Great job!!!! After reading through your project, something you wrote struck me as odd. You said in the second post, "Pic1. Newly installed column switch. Note red circle where new Active Lane Assist button is located. Turns out you can activate it via this button or also with steering wheel menu button." Do you think the feature can just be activated with vagcom and then toggled by the steering wheel menu button? Rather than buying and installing a new switch?
Old 12-01-2015, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jmcjclark
Great job!!!! After reading through your project, something you wrote struck me as odd. You said in the second post, "Pic1. Newly installed column switch. Note red circle where new Active Lane Assist button is located. Turns out you can activate it via this button or also with steering wheel menu button." Do you think the feature can just be activated with vagcom and then toggled by the steering wheel menu button? Rather than buying and installing a new switch?
Well that's embarrassing... Apparently I wasn't the only one to have thought that.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am dying to know this as well
Old 12-01-2015, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jmcjclark
Hi Jmc.
I thought I had updated the errors in my post. I will review it again for corrections. I later discovered and posted that I confirmed it can only be activated via the stalk button. I found that the steering wheel menu selection that listed "Assist" is only to change the dashboard console display to the lane assist visual.

Hope that helps clear things up.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow, just did the mod and worked like a champ. Got the new switch from ebay in Poland of all places and arrived in perfect shape. Just swapped my clock spring to the new switch and followed the instructions on enabling it. My car is a 2013 a6 prestige and already had ACC so the decision was a fairly simple one. Love the new feature and look forward to using it long term.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by zeab
Wow, just did the mod and worked like a champ. Got the new switch from ebay in Poland of all places and arrived in perfect shape. Just swapped my clock spring to the new switch and followed the instructions on enabling it. My car is a 2013 a6 prestige and already had ACC so the decision was a fairly simple one. Love the new feature and look forward to using it long term.
Awesome Zeab. Glad it worked out for you! And glad you're enjoying it! System is a bit quirky and it takes time to learn where it's helpful and where it's not.

Maybe we can start a tradition... Why not post up a pic of your car now that you've activated the feature as a sort-of an accomplishment right-of-honor

Quick Reply: A6 Active Lane Assist Retrofit