Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 Active Lane Assist Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default A6 Active Lane Assist Retrofit - DONE

COMPLETED!!!!

Thanks so much to Mrclopec for his post below that has gotten me this far with this mod.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-done-2886241/

See post#10 for better outlined DIY process, courtesy of Mrclopec since he helped me with this upgrade.

See post#34 for HUD lane assist icon activation which I found out about afterwards.

So I needed to install new column switch that had Active Lane Assist button so off to search on Ebay I went. If you have Adaptive Cruise, BE CAREFUL you buy right switch. I accidentally bought another switch first that was useless because it did not have the ACC distance ****. Had to find correct switch afterwards and buy again.

Unfortunately my upgrade hit a few snags as you'll see from my last photos of second post.

My only mistake was not swapping my original clock spring onto new column switch which caused some errors that needed to be cleared and settings reset.

Pic1. Pushed up at front of column cover then slid forward and up to disengage rear

Pic2. Three bolts to remove. There's a star hex bolt underneath

Pic3. Green arrows were connectors I had to disconnect. Yellow arrow is a connector that I had nothing connected here on my car.

Pic4. Far right connector was airbag connector. WARNING, had to follow safe practices of disconnecting battery to avoid accidental airbag deployment during reassembly. See other post from Mrclopec for additional info on this. Had to pull out the tab first then push up on it to release. Black connector just had to push in on the tab to release.

Pic5. Removed column switch. After swapping my original clock spring onto new switch assembly, the unit just slides on effortlessly. Made sure it was seated back as far as it went, then re tightened metal clamp in rear.

Sorry didn't take picture of back but steering switch has metal clamp in rear. Used a hex-bit that when loosened allowed assembly to slide out effortlessly.
Attached Images      

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 11-21-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here are the assembled pieces, and results.

After I swapped my original clock spring into new switch assembly my error message about the stability program went away.

Still had the Steering system fault error message though. The fix for this is listed toward end of post.

Pic1. Newly installed column switch. Note red circle where new Active Lane Assist button is located. You activate Lane assist via this button, while there is also a steering wheel menu button selection that lists "Assist" in menu (see post 15 pic#4) and it switches dashboard display to the Lane assist view (Post 15 Pic#1).

Pic2. The steering fault error message. Was fixed by resetting wheel stop limits. Fix discussed later in thread.

Pic3. Stability fault error. Fixed by using my own clock spring.
Attached Images    

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 12-01-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And Finally the VagCom areas I looked at but Couldn't really correlate to the previous DIY.
Maybe I'm just overthinking it but cant figure it out just yet. Still to new.

So Thank you Thank you Mrclopec for helping guide me though the other steps.
The checkboxes were easy as you can find the areas where you can check active the lane assist selections. But what I would have never figured out is that i needed to enter the hidden menu to activate lane assist there also. In addition, there is an imaging menu in VagCom that was also needed to be accessed. See Post 10 for more detailed VagCom info from the subject matter expert.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 11-02-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:27 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

I previously gave you my contact info in case you ran into any snags....

I STRONGLY advised when you got your new levers in the mail that you would carefully remove the clock spring that came on them and swap yours onto it because we at least know that your clock spring is already coded to your car and is already calibrated as far as the steering angle sensor. If you leave the clock spring attached to the levers that came with them, then you are going to get stability faults and angle sensor basic settings calibration errors which would then have to be reset. Put your original clock spring onto the new lever assembly and reinstall.

Coding - Please clear all DTC's and then PM me a COMPLETE scan of your car and I can tell you what to do.

*UPDATE*

Okay it looks like you did reinstall the original clock spring but your steering system faults still remain. Thats most likely because you already plugged in the other clock spring and then put your original back which cleared your original calibration settings. As far as that extra connector spot, I think thats related to a heated steering wheel so don't worry about it. Ill touch on the vibration motor later...

Last edited by Mrclopec; 10-26-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mrclopec

Coding - Please clear all DTC's and then PM me a COMPLETE scan of your car and I can tell you what to do.

Lol, sorry forgot about that. Ill reach out to you later for guidance.

Yes I should have listed to MrClopec but my memory isn't as good as it used to be. I furrgott. Could have avoided some of the errors. Lessons learned.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 11-02-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default A6 Active Lane Assist Complete

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Success!! A6 Active Lane Assist Complete
A million thanks to Mrclopec who helped me troubleshoot and activate this AWESOME feature with VagCom.

Since I am a 2012 model, I thought I was only going to get Lane assist where steering wheel vibrated. Really wished I could have the feature where the car steered itself back into the lane but oh well.

After Correct Vagcom coding the feature finally activated and worked.
GREAT NEWS!!, My 2012 steering wheel is vibrating (have upgraded wheel installed) when I cross over lanes without turn signals activated.
Even better surprise, my car also now DOES the slight steering correction and keeps itself in correct lane.

OMG I was floored and absolutely excited.
Thanks Chris! I got more than I expected with this mod.

Edit:
The fix to my steering system fault was I had to turn steering wheel hard right and hold until A beep was heard confirming car learned full right limit, then turned steering wheel hard left and held in place until beep confirmed full left limit. Cleared all codes, restarted car and viola. My error was gone. Thanks for this too Chris

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 11-01-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Sharing the correct coding would be helpful to others attempting this mod.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Sharing the correct coding would be helpful to others attempting this mod.
Yes sorry about that. I'm still so new to VagCom and didn't take notes as I did the changes I was instructed. Let me try and reconstruct this and I'd be happy to post these.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

Congrats. What was the final cost of the upgrade?
Old 11-02-2015, 06:38 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

A6/A7 (2012-Current) Active Lane Assist Retrofit.

With the permission of IKnowHuhA6, I was given the goahead to post the DIY. This retrofit is based on A6/A7 chassis vehicles that are already factory fitted with Adaptive Cruise Control and have the 85-On Board Camera and 8E-Image Processing control modules installed. It can be fitted if Adaptive Cruise Control is not already fitted, but it will require changing of the windscreen, installation of the 85-On Board Camera, installation of the Image Processing Control Module, all necessary connectors and wiring, and then most likely will require dealer calibration. Additionally any retrofits you perform by following this guide you do so at your own risk. I/We assume no liability!

Background:

In the 4G chassis, adaptive cruise control utilizes distance regulation sensors in the front grill of the vehicle as well as an on board camera in the top of the windscreen. This camera is different than the Lane Assist camera found in the A4/A5/Q5 chassis and in conjunction with the image processing control module, serves more than one purpose (Adaptive Cruise, Lane Assist, Traffic Sign Recognition - NOT USA). If the vehicle in question was factory fitted with Adaptive Cruise Control, then the camera and image processing control module which controls the Active Lane Assist is already present. Below is a picture of the on board camera needed.

Prior to 2012 the system was only a Lane Departure Warning. This previous system was not “active” and would not provide steering recommendations or interventions. It would only vibrate the steering wheel (by means of a vibration motor in the steering wheel itself) when the vehicle drifted out of its lane.

Active Lane Assist requires electromechanical power steering for the steering adjustments and steering wheel vibration. Unlike the previous generation that used a vibration motor in the steering wheel, this newer generation uses a harmonic whatchamacallit (I don’t know what its called) in the steering system to generate the vibration warning.

Parts Needed:

New Steering Column Lever Assembly - 4G8-953-502-P (Sedan)
New Steering Column Lever Assembly - 4G8-953-502-S (Avant)

Section 1 – Changing of the Steering wheel levers.

Your new steering column switches if purchased from the dealer will not come with the steering column clock spring control module (4H0 953 568). If you purchased a set of switches that came with one (ie eBay), I STRONGLY recommend you switch it out for the one on your existing turn level assembly so you can avoid recoding it or having several errors pop up onto your dash for stability control faults and steering angle faults. Trust me, this will be much easier for you in the long run and will save you a world of headaches!

Step 1 – Park vehicle on a flat surface and center your wheels and steering wheel.
Step 2 – Turn the car on only to the point of accessory power.
Step 3 – Disconnect the battery ground terminal while the vehicle is on in order to ensure a full power discharge from the airbag system.
Step 4 – Remove the Airbag from the steering wheel.
Step 5 – Remove the center bolt using a 12mm 12-point star (not torx) bit and remove the steering wheel. (Make sure you take note of the exact position of the steering wheel on the teeth of the steering column.
Step 6 – Remove the upper steering column cover.
Step 7 – Remove the lower steering column cover.
Step 8 – Disconnect the electrical connectors from the back of the switches and loosen the bolt, which holds the steering switches to the column itself.
Step 9 – Remove the steering column multi-switch assembly.

Reinstall the new steering column multi-switch with the Active Lane Assist button on the end of the turn signal lever. Installation is reverse of removal. The steering wheel bolt must be tightened to 30Nm + 90 degrees.

Section 2 – Coding the vehicle using VCDS.

Perform a scan of the vehicle and make sure modules 10, 16, 17, 44, 85 and 8E are present. 85 will not need to be coded but it does need to be present.

Step 1 – Access 10-Park/Steer Assist>07Coding>Long Coding Helper>Enable Byte 1 Bit 5 "Lane Maintenance Assist(PR-7Y4/7Y5) installed".

Step 2 – Access 16-Steering Wheel>07 Coding>Long Coding Helper>Byte 2 Bits 6&7 change to "C0 Lane Assist with Heading Control installed".

Step 3 – Access 17-Instruments>07 Coding>Long Coding Helper>Enable Byte 4 Bit 6 "Lane Assist Installed".

Step 4 – Access 44-Steering Assist>07 Coding>Long Coding Helper>Enable Byte 2 Bit 0 "Lane Assist installed"

Step 5 – Access 8E-Image Processing>07 Coding>Long Coding Helper>Byte 1 Bits 5&6 change to "40 Lane Assist and Lane Change Assist installed (PR-7Y5)"

Step 6 – Enter the hidden (green)menu on the MMI to activate the menu system for Active Lane Assist
Step 7 – Car>Cardevicelist>Check “Lane Departure Warning”
Step 8 – Car>Carmenuoperation>Lane Departure Warning – Change from 0 to 5
Step 9 – Clear all faults and refresh the system. No errors should be present.

Section 7 – Calibrating

The really awesome thing that we found after activating the system was that calibration was not necessary. This may not be the case for everyone. My best guess is it was already completed during the end of line programming at the factory. When a vehicle is finished being assembled, all of its driver assistance system are calibrated at the same time. The system used to calibrate Adaptive Cruise Control is also part of the same system that calibrates Active Lane Assist. It would appear that because the image processing camera in the windscreen also serves purpose to the Adaptive Cruise Control feature, it must have also captured the calibration data for the Active Lane Assist system at the same time while the calibration board was in front of the car. The data had just been sitting dormant. If after retrofitting, there is a stored fault code under 8E-Image Processing that calibration is required, then a trip to the dealer will be necessary.

Last edited by Mrclopec; 11-02-2015 at 08:31 PM.

Quick Reply: A6 Active Lane Assist Retrofit