Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 C7 fuel tank door not opening sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A6 C7 fuel tank door not opening sometimes

Hey guys!

I'm having trouble with fuel tank door sometimes.
When I unlock the central locking from drivers door and try to open the fuel door it does not open sometimes.
Then I get the car key, close the central locking from the key and open it again, then the fuel tank door opens.
I did read somewhere that the fuel tank door plastic parts could be broken and need to be replaced.
Can anyone clarify this or has anyone had the same issue?

Thank you!
Old 05-13-2016, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the little plastic part replaced in my 2012 A6 about one year ago. Had pulled into the gas station to refill and no amount of locking/unlocking, pressing on the gas door, etc. would open it. Ended up just leaving the gas station. Luckily, my office is almost acorss the street from an Audi dealership.

They said it is a common problem and replaced it N/C. Hate to have seen what would have happened if I was out remote somewhere when it happened.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rait
Hey guys!

I'm having trouble with fuel tank door sometimes.
When I unlock the central locking from drivers door and try to open the fuel door it does not open sometimes.
Then I get the car key, close the central locking from the key and open it again, then the fuel tank door opens.
I did read somewhere that the fuel tank door plastic parts could be broken and need to be replaced.
Can anyone clarify this or has anyone had the same issue?

Thank you!
It happened to me during the first week of ownership for my very first 2012 A6 in Korea. They replaced the part and the latch through the trunk to open the fuel tank door was also missing. I was shocked at that also. But I don't have any issue with that for my 2016 model.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Seems like I'm calling the dealer again and let them change the plastic parts in fuel tank door.
Hopefully they will do this as a warranty fix as well.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry for the double post!
Update:
Contacted the dealer and they said that this is not going under warranty as I got warranty only for engine and gearbox. The fixing price depends on if it's the motor or the plastic release ****. I will give you an a update if I get the parts prices and will post overall cost on fixing it as well.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought the revised part that locks the gas door on ebay for $25
Not that hard to install
Old 05-23-2016, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thehedge
I had the little plastic part replaced in my 2012 A6 about one year ago. Had pulled into the gas station to refill and no amount of locking/unlocking, pressing on the gas door, etc. would open it. Ended up just leaving the gas station. Luckily, my office is almost acorss the street from an Audi dealership.

They said it is a common problem and replaced it N/C. Hate to have seen what would have happened if I was out remote somewhere when it happened.
This is a common problem, and Audi designed an updated part to replace the original. Now to answer your question about being out remote somewhere. Read your owners manual! Go to the index and you'll find a listing under "F"-- Fuel filler flap emergency release. Mine is on page 223, complete with color pictures showing how to do it. PROBLEM SOLVED. it's truely amazing what Audi put in the Owners Manual.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

4L0862153D 4L0-862-153-D

new part #
Old 05-23-2016, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
This is a common problem, and Audi designed an updated part to replace the original. Now to answer your question about being out remote somewhere. Read your owners manual! Go to the index and you'll find a listing under "F"-- Fuel filler flap emergency release. Mine is on page 223, complete with color pictures showing how to do it. PROBLEM SOLVED. it's truely amazing what Audi put in the Owners Manual.
Having had personal experience of this problem the remote release does not work, that only overrides the central locking action. The design of the flap locking mechanism has the locking pin rotate as it is depressed or released, engaging with the cutout in the flap. In pre-2013 A6s the mechanism can fail resulting in the pin jamming and not rotating. I had Audi Assist (UK Audi comes with 3 years of Audi's own breakdown service) out to fix mine. I had to sign a disclaimer agreeing to them "damaging" my car. They then inserted a hard piece of plastic into the gap between the wing and the fuel flap and forced the flap open. Couldn't then close the flap, hence the need to sign the disclaimer, but at least I could put fuel in. Had the flap locking assembly replaced under warranty
Old 05-24-2016, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
Indeed - I had mine replaced under warranty. But before I did, I had to pull out the Owners Manual and figure out how to open the flap manually. It is doable - but a bit of a pain in the rear to get to. But the manual explains it well and the procedure works

Quick Reply: A6 C7 fuel tank door not opening sometimes