Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 MMI Version

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 MMI Version

Hi,
I have just bought a 2013 A6 and I am getting REALLY confused with the different versions of the MMI.
I have attached a photo with the version number of the system in my car and want to know what the most recent version is and how I can upgrade it?

Old 11-11-2018, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

As far as I know you need to see the dealer to update it although there is a gentleman on this forum that has successfully done it. If you do a search on Raj99 I believe you'll see he did it.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Rndom Scotland
Hi,
I have just bought a 2013 A6 and I am getting REALLY confused with the different versions of the MMI.
I have attached a photo with the version number of the system in my car and want to know what the most recent version is and how I can upgrade it?
For the C7 A6 there are 2 version of MMI. MMI Basic, also know as RMC, and MMI Plus. All UK cars (assume from your name you are in Scotland) cane with RMC as standard. The enhanced MMI was available initial as a seperate option and then as part of the Tech Pack. With MMI Plus things get a bit more complicated, as prior to the facelift in late 2014, the MMI system used 3G technology to provide live data for traffic, access to Google maps etc. Following the facelift this switched to using 4G/LTE communications. Facelift cars with MMI Plus also got an updated instrument display which allowed the map to be displayed between the main dials. Other major differences between basic and plus are the size of the pop-up screen and laso MMI Plus cars have a touchpad to allow data entry for destinations etc whereas the RMC system has 6 buttons for radio presets.

Back to your original question. When I moved from my 2012 car to my 2015 car I noticed little or no difference in the functionality of the MMI system so would suggest you stick with the software you have. Audi will only do an update if there is a specfic error and doing it yourself or getting someone to do it can result in the system being "bricked" and a bill for a couple of thousand to replace the MMI unit.

Maps is a different issue. Unfortunately with the pre-facelift cars with either system and facelift cars with RMC the only official way to get the maps updated is to go to the dealer and spend a couple of hundred pounds to get the database updated. facelift cars with the TechPack (MMI Plus) get 5 free updates, one roughly every 6 months. There are people who offer to do updates at a cost lower than the Audi dealer but it is a risk regarding what version of the maps you get and whether they actually know what they are doing. Also the mao data for the RMC system is often about 12-18 months out of date, with it being released in early summer each year.

the P in the version details designates that your car has the original versions installed at the factory
Hope this helps
Old 11-19-2018, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John, is there any way to find out what the latest version is for a specific Audi Model?

Originally Posted by John Simcox
For the C7 A6 there are 2 version of MMI. MMI Basic, also know as RMC, and MMI Plus. All UK cars (assume from your name you are in Scotland) cane with RMC as standard. The enhanced MMI was available initial as a seperate option and then as part of the Tech Pack. With MMI Plus things get a bit more complicated, as prior to the facelift in late 2014, the MMI system used 3G technology to provide live data for traffic, access to Google maps etc. Following the facelift this switched to using 4G/LTE communications. Facelift cars with MMI Plus also got an updated instrument display which allowed the map to be displayed between the main dials. Other major differences between basic and plus are the size of the pop-up screen and laso MMI Plus cars have a touchpad to allow data entry for destinations etc whereas the RMC system has 6 buttons for radio presets.

Back to your original question. When I moved from my 2012 car to my 2015 car I noticed little or no difference in the functionality of the MMI system so would suggest you stick with the software you have. Audi will only do an update if there is a specfic error and doing it yourself or getting someone to do it can result in the system being "bricked" and a bill for a couple of thousand to replace the MMI unit.

Maps is a different issue. Unfortunately with the pre-facelift cars with either system and facelift cars with RMC the only official way to get the maps updated is to go to the dealer and spend a couple of hundred pounds to get the database updated. facelift cars with the TechPack (MMI Plus) get 5 free updates, one roughly every 6 months. There are people who offer to do updates at a cost lower than the Audi dealer but it is a risk regarding what version of the maps you get and whether they actually know what they are doing. Also the mao data for the RMC system is often about 12-18 months out of date, with it being released in early summer each year.

the P in the version details designates that your car has the original versions installed at the factory
Hope this helps
Old 11-20-2018, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by manishaudi
John, is there any way to find out what the latest version is for a specific Audi Model?
Not that I am aware of, but it may be that someone on the forum has the details for the North American market who can help you
Old 11-20-2018, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the information