Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 Motor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 06:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 Motor Replacement

Long story short, but I have to replace the engine in my 2012 A6 3.0T. I found a 2013/14 S5 3.0T engine. Question I have is, is this S5 motor compatible with my car? Do I need the S5 ECU as well? All all the mounting points similar to my stock 3.0T A6 motor? I plan to upgrade the to the supercharger APR pulley and stage 2 software. Plan to keep my stock A6 tranny and drivetrain.

these are the numbers found on the S5 motor.

CCB005227
063 103 173

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2015, 07:18 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

If you get it to work that would be great. However it is not like the olden days where engine swaps may have been a bit easier. With the complexities of a modern car I would think you need more than just the S5 ECU. The S5 ECU is almost assuredly incompatible with the A6 tiptronic. Then there is steering and ESP which may be incompatible as well. I'm sure there are many other things as well that would make this a very difficult undertaking, but as we all know anything is possible with enough time and money. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if you can provide more information in How did you blow up your engine we will appreciate it
If Audi is not honoring the warranty I assume you heavily modified it
Old 01-13-2015, 04:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by feralc
Well if you can provide more information in How did you blow up your engine we will appreciate it
If Audi is not honoring the warranty I assume you heavily modified it
username of "dragpro" may provide a bit of a hint...
Old 01-13-2015, 09:28 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vizwiz
username of "dragpro" may provide a bit of a hint...
I thought the same but I am curious what kind of dragpro mods destroyed his engine
Old 01-14-2015, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

If he really was a "dragpro" would you start with an A6? But dragpro could have alternate connotations!
Old 01-14-2015, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DB22
If he really was a "dragpro" would you start with an A6? But dragpro could have alternate connotations!
Very good! I drag race and been doing it for a while, but by no means a sponsored racer.

I bought the car with a blown engine, got a tremendous deal on it. Not sure how or what happened to it, just know it will be more expensive to fix than to replace. I came across this S5 engine 3.0T, just wanted to know if it were compatible with my car, trans and ecu. I'm assuming it is because its the same platform, with a different ECU which gives it a bit more HP. Torque is the same as the C7 3.0T.

Will be calling Audi tech to understand the difference before investing 7K.

Thanks
Old 01-14-2015, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dragpro
Very good! I drag race and been doing it for a while, but by no means a sponsored racer.

I bought the car with a blown engine, got a tremendous deal on it. Not sure how or what happened to it, just know it will be more expensive to fix than to replace. I came across this S5 engine 3.0T, just wanted to know if it were compatible with my car, trans and ecu. I'm assuming it is because its the same platform, with a different ECU which gives it a bit more HP. Torque is the same as the C7 3.0T.

Thanks
It sounds like an interesting project and it has been said that the 2 engines are identical except for the ECU. My limited enquiries to Audi have, in the past, been non fruitful. Getting the necessary information by comparing part numbers etc. is time consuming but if you have the time then it may save you a bunch.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 160 Posts

Thanks
Sorry to disappoint you but the A5 and the A6 are not the same platform. The A5 and hence the S5 share the platform with the A4 (B8) whilst the current A6 (C7) and A7 share the same platform. Ultimately the base 3.0T engines that go into the various Audi cars will be the same, however the mounts may be different as well as the location of the ancillaries and as others have pointed out you would need to check the S5 engine (even assuming you keep the existing A6 ECU) actually talks properly to both the engine and gearbox ECUs. If you plan to keep the S5 ECU in the A6 then there may be additional communication problems with the car. Other then trying it not sure how you will know what does and does not work unless you can find someone else who has done it
Old 01-25-2015, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Long story short, but I have to replace the engine in my 2012 A6 3.0T. I found a 2013/14 S5 3.0T engine. Question I have is, is this S5 motor compatible with my car? Do I need the S5 ECU as well? All all the mounting points similar to my stock 3.0T A6 motor? I plan to upgrade the to the supercharger APR pulley and stage 2 software. Plan to keep my stock A6 tranny and drivetrain.

these are the numbers found on the S5 motor.

CCB005227
063 103 173

Thanks!
Try to get VIN of the vehicle that the used engine is removed from. If it has same engine code as yours, you can use it.

Quick Reply: A6 Motor Replacement