Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 TDI vs. Q5 TDI

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 09:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 TDI vs. Q5 TDI

Hello everybody,

I am a new member here on Audiworld and I have come with a dilemma - I have my heart set on a 6-cylinder Audi TDI, but not sure which model meets my needs. I want enough space to carry items (practicality), a car that's great for long trips, the ability to accelerate quickly (speed), reliability, and the best overall value. From your experiences, which one is better - the A6 or Q5?
Old 04-09-2015, 02:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A6 > Q5 IMHO
Old 04-09-2015, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

see https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...emnia-2880412/
Old 04-09-2015, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

In terms of your first 4 criteria, I'd think the A6 and Q5 would be fairly even, although I'd give the A6 the advantage in terms of a more updated cabin and passenger space, while the Q5 would have more cargo space behind the 2nd row. In terms of value, comparable trim levels for the Q5 are about $10k cheaper than the A6 TDI models.

I have over 25k miles on my A6 TDI and have been very happy with it. We considered getting the Q5 TDI for my wife, but ended up getting an ML350 Bluetec (diesel) for her which was roomier (cabin and cargo space) and IMHO, had much better (comfortable and sportier) front seats than the Q5. MB discontinued their 6-cyl diesel after 2014 and now offers only a 4-cyl diesel in the US - I'm hoping my wife gets one for a loaner some day so I can see how that engine performs.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me a nice car always trumps a nice SUV. Have you thought about an A7? It's more money but is really nice and has a lot of utility with the hatchback and fold down rear seat.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gagethrash
Hello everybody,

I am a new member here on Audiworld and I have come with a dilemma - I have my heart set on a 6-cylinder Audi TDI, but not sure which model meets my needs. I want enough space to carry items (practicality), a car that's great for long trips, the ability to accelerate quickly (speed), reliability, and the best overall value. From your experiences, which one is better - the A6 or Q5?
Neither is better than the other, both are great, it just depends on your priorities.

For raw practicality you cannot beat the Q5 TDI. I have one, love it, and would recommend it to anyone. It's great for blasting around town, as the TDI feels like a rocket even in a heavy SUV. It's great for long road trips (I've taken several). It's great for people in the back seat thanks to the huge panoramic sunroof making it feel like you're in a greenhouse. Its ground clearance helps get through the mush on snowy days.

The A6 is the sexier pick. It's sportier, i.e. more fun to drive because it's more nimble, and has a nicer interior with a lot more gizmos, especially if you go prestige and get the upgraded contour seats. Compared to the Q5 you lose ground clearance, you lose the panoramic sun roof, and you lose some cargo space. But it's still roomy inside and has a decent size trunk. Kick in the pants factor is a wash since they both use the same engine.

Reliability wise both should be about the same since both are relatively late in their life cycles -- plenty of time for Audi to work out the kinks -- and both use the same engines and transmissions.

Value wise I'm not sure, though I can tell you Q5 TDIs hold their value nicely. Dealers can't keep a used one on their lot more than a couple of days, so you'll never have problems getting a decent price should you need to sell yours. Good luck.

Last edited by Pratfall; 04-09-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I feel like you're splitting hairs to compare the two. You can argue either car is better... the Q has more cargo space, but that space is 'upwards' rather than back into a trunk for instance.

You need to go with your gut. What would you prefer to drive? A car or an SUV? I really doubt you'd run into many situations where one would clearly outweigh the other. Let us know what you decide!
Old 04-09-2015, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I might lean toward the Q5 (given long trip comfort is one of the OP’s criteria) for the opportunity to get the sport seats in the Sport Interior Package (SIP). The SIP is only $750 and includes the sport seats that have the pull-put thigh support extenders and is available in the Premium Plus and Prestige Q5 trim levels (assuming you can get your hands on one). The A6 has crappy short cushion seats and does not offer sport seats with thigh extenders in any trim level.
To me this is a major drawback to the A6, given I am 6’2” tall and leggy. I do understand Comfort Seats are available in the A6 Prestige, but I am not interested in going to the Prestige level and even those seats have the same short (front to rear) seat bottom cushions.
The Q5 rides very nicely; its higher sidewall tires (with the 18” wheels especially) absorb a lot more potholes and rough pavement than the A6, in my opinion. I am currently thinking of a Q5 (since the Q3 apparently will not have a better drivetrain in updated MY 2016) when my current A6 P+ 2.0 lease expires near the end of this year.
Comfort is far more than a matter of seat dimensions for sure, but I measured my A6’s front seat cushion (front to rear) and compared that to a friend’s Subaru Crosstrek. The Audi was 19.5 inches while the Crosstrek was 19.25 inches, not much of a difference. The Subaru’s seats are softer, so my back/butt went further back in the seats and it seemed I had less of my legs hanging out over open space in the Crosstrek than I do in my A6. Pathetic considering the cost differential!

Last edited by irenesbob; 04-09-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Actually, the A6 Prestige seat have a deeper front to back measurement than the P or PP due to the extended thigh cushion.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 2 cents: We tested both recently and ended up acquired the A6, that's with a kid too. The Q5 has a huge trunk but cabin space is sacrificed for that. It felt a bit cramped up front and the back seat was not as plush and comfortable as the A6's.

Quick Reply: A6 TDI vs. Q5 TDI