Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

AC not working... $900

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default AC not working... $900

My 2013 is a couple months out of warranty, we had a heat advisory here in the DMV last week and my AC went out. Gassed it up, started it back up and nothing but warm moist air. I took it to my local indy shop hoping it was something cheap. Apparently it's the condenser which failed and needs to be replaced, then a full system recharge. Around $900 but they're working on that price for me so we'll see tomorrow when it's hopefully fixed and ready to go. 52K miles, those Germans sure know how to time a warranty.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Also I'm wondering about an ACC realignment, I think they have to take the bumper off to do the condenser so this little adventure might have more to come.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuba
My 2013 is a couple months out of warranty, we had a heat advisory here in the DMV last week and my AC went out. Gassed it up, started it back up and nothing but warm moist air. I took it to my local indy shop hoping it was something cheap. Apparently it's the condenser which failed and needs to be replaced, then a full system recharge. Around $900 but they're working on that price for me so we'll see tomorrow when it's hopefully fixed and ready to go. 52K miles, those Germans sure know how to time a warranty.
$900 is in the ball park. I replaced mine from indy shop for the same price as well. Also, $900 is not OE parts. Stealer quoted me $1500 (condenser and pressure sensor). I screwed up my condenser by over tightening it
Old 07-25-2017, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fEArmE
$900 is in the ball park. I replaced mine from indy shop for the same price as well. Also, $900 is not OE parts. Stealer quoted me $1500 (condenser and pressure sensor). I screwed up my condenser by over tightening it
My good friend and former Audi shop foreman was visiting yesterday and seemed to think $900 was a good price on this job as well, I'm just not sure if this will screw up my ACC but hopefully not. I think it might be from all the road resurfacing going on through my commute, lots of rough roads, steel plates, manhole covers, and gravel all over the place lately.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My good friend and former Audi shop foreman was visiting yesterday and seemed to think $900 was a good price on this job as well, I'm just not sure if this will screw up my ACC but hopefully not. I think it might be from all the road resurfacing going on through my commute, lots of rough roads, steel plates, manhole covers, and gravel all over the place lately.
I would check if the condenser really needs to be replaced. A faulty pressure sensor could stop giving you cold air.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fEArmE
I would check if the condenser really needs to be replaced. A faulty pressure sensor could stop giving you cold air.
+1 a fairly common part to go
Old 07-26-2017, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

About a year after I got my 2013, there was a TSB for a leaking/faulty pressure sensor that Auudi replaced.

On invoice it was "Campaign 87D9"
Old 07-26-2017, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well I got it back yesterday and it's blowing ice cold air, they replaced the condenser, pressure switch, and recharged, came in slightly less than $900. They said the condenser had been damaged and the connector was involved, looked like road debris or maybe I did sort of nick one of the jutting manhole or other obstructions on these road repairs.

Nice thing though is the ACC works just fine. My friend mentioned that the condenser thing is a design flaw based on how low and unprotected it is. He said at the dealer they had some of these come in and Audi had some sort of cover they would install to add some protection. Indy's don't do that so I'll just be more careful on these crap roads.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

They said the condenser had been damaged and the connector was involved, looked like road debris or maybe I did sort of nick one of the jutting manhole or other obstructions on these road repairs.

Nice thing though is the ACC works just fine. My friend mentioned that the condenser thing is a design flaw based on how low and unprotected it is. He said at the dealer they had some of these come in and Audi had some sort of cover they would install to add some protection. Indy's don't do that so I'll just be more careful on these crap roads.
You could install a grill guard. If you damaged that intercooler heat exchanger that's in front of the condenser, it's around a $1800 repair. Here is how I made my guard.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-...guard-2906257/
Old 07-27-2017, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
You could install a grill guard. If you damaged that intercooler heat exchanger that's in front of the condenser, it's around a $1800 repair. Here is how I made my guard.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a7-...guard-2906257/
Not a bad idea, especially since it damaged my radiator as well and is now back in the shop. They took partial responsibility and are covering towing and all labor but another $300 on this friggin adventure. I should file a claim with the city with this road construction BS. It's ridiculous how they left it during the resurfacing stage.