Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

ADBLUE FORCE FIELD AFTER EMISSIONS TDI FIX

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADBLUE FORCE FIELD AFTER EMISSIONS TDI FIX

Had my car in for its 75K service yesterday and was offered the emissions fraud “fix” which I politely turned it down. I told my service advisor that I am taking the wait and see approach as I am not in a real hurry to neuter it. He informed me that they just completed their first Gen 2PC “fix” on a 2015 A7, which just so happened was parked outside warming up, so I took a gander. It appeared to have been idling for a while waiting for the customer to pick it up but what I observed was an excessive smell coming from the exhaust. It is worth repeating, EXCESSIVE. I can only surmise this is one of the side effects of the burning of the increased Adblue being injected into the exhaust as part of the fix. The smell was so bad, even though this car was parked outside, I could still smell it from 4 cars away. I was like it had this invisible Adblue cloud surrounding it acting like a force field. Needless to say I don’t think this guy/gal will be warming up their A7 in the garage anymore. In fact, they may want to park it on the street far away from their house to warm it up. So, if anyone is out there looking to move into a 2015 A7 TDI in the near future, I am sure there will be at least one available in Michigan very soon. Cheers.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:02 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

New cars usually have some smell as the exhaust burns in for 1k miles or so. Perhaps it could have been the exhaust wearing in and expanding?
Old 01-06-2018, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

I am going to wait untill the proverbial last moment before having the fix done.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Allroading17
New cars usually have some smell as the exhaust burns in for 1k miles or so. Perhaps it could have been the exhaust wearing in and expanding?
I first thought of that too but in my view anyway, the likely smell is the increased amount of Adblue, 10-40% more, that Audi has stated will be consumed. Being that the car was at idle and it was extremely cold outside, I assume more Urea is being pumped in to offset the NOx. My posting this in the first place was just to to inform us all as a general observation I had a chance to see first hand. Being that this was the first week the fix was made available to us, I am sure more feedback will be posted in the near future for those of us in the Gen 2PC recall.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I am going to wait untill the proverbial last moment before having the fix done.
So what is that “last moment” for you? Has anyone looked at the court settlement document detail and determined how long we can push this recall off after the fix was approved and to be still eligible for the 2nd half of the payment??
Old 01-06-2018, 06:43 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Transporter208
Had my car in for its 75K service yesterday and was offered the emissions fraud “fix” which I politely turned it down. I told my service advisor that I am taking the wait and see approach as I am not in a real hurry to neuter it. He informed me that they just completed their first Gen 2PC “fix” on a 2015 A7, which just so happened was parked outside warming up, so I took a gander. It appeared to have been idling for a while waiting for the customer to pick it up but what I observed was an excessive smell coming from the exhaust. It is worth repeating, EXCESSIVE. I can only surmise this is one of the side effects of the burning of the increased Adblue being injected into the exhaust as part of the fix. The smell was so bad, even though this car was parked outside, I could still smell it from 4 cars away. I was like it had this invisible Adblue cloud surrounding it acting like a force field. Needless to say I don’t think this guy/gal will be warming up their A7 in the garage anymore. In fact, they may want to park it on the street far away from their house to warm it up. So, if anyone is out there looking to move into a 2015 A7 TDI in the near future, I am sure there will be at least one available in Michigan very soon. Cheers.
"I am taking the wait and see approach..." Wait and see for what? The only thing that will change will probably be running changes along the way as mileages will be accumulated and additional modifications will be needed. Move on. This issue has been milked until dry and the drama's over. There's nothing more to be had. .02
Old 01-06-2018, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

It's all about choice, in this case it is literally about choosing your poison.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I work on a farm, and large diesel engines use ENORMOUS amounts of AdBlue to meet emissions standards. Care to guess how much AdBlue a 13 or 15 liter engine will gulp down in a day? Don't get me started on how this finically affects farmers.......

Anyhow, I can tell you that those engines produce minimal odor of any kind out of the exhaust, despite using many more times the volume of AdBlue than a car. I can assure you the smell you noticed was not from AdBlue but likely shipping underbody corrosion inhibitor sprayed onto the car and some of that overspray burning off of the exhaust. AdBlue has little smell, even if you put your nose up to the exhaust and smell it directly.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bpp
"I am taking the wait and see approach..." Wait and see for what? The only thing that will change will probably be running changes along the way as mileages will be accumulated and additional modifications will be needed. Move on. This issue has been milked until dry and the drama's over. There's nothing more to be had. .02
Wait and see for me is I am looking at the warrantee offered after the fix. I currently have CPO coverage until 100K so if I wait until I reach that mileage I will have an additional 48K more miles after the fix is done. The second settlement payment of about 4K I can wait for. The extended warrantee is more important to me so I am going to stretch is out as far as possible. Just saying.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

When ambient temperature is below about -10C or so, my car stinks, and when it’s warmer than about 0C the exhaust smell is almost imperceptible. I think that extra Adblue dosing will actually reduce the stink. It can’t get any worse.

Quick Reply: ADBLUE FORCE FIELD AFTER EMISSIONS TDI FIX