Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Adding engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding engine oil

I had to add 1qt of oil twice now. The car has 16K miles. I've owned it for the last 5K miles. The second time it asked for oil was after 2K from the oil change. How often do you need to add oil? If you had this issue fixed by a dealer, what was the repair?

Car: 2012 A6 3.0 P+. Comments from same engine owners are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am wondering if people with oil issues, how many owned their cars as ordered new virgin cars, or off the lot cars with literally no miles on them. One thing I noticed when I was test driving A6s was that most sales people would start a cold car drive off the lot and mash the pedal to impress on me how powerful the car is. They is absolutely horrible wear and tear on a new engine. Then the test drive is sometimes short so they get in a cold engine, rev it up toward red line then before it has had any length of time to run at operating temperature the car is back and turned off. This is one reason I never buy a car with more than 20-25 miles on it, and seeing as my ordered A6 arrived with 19 miles on it I would feel good with any lot car with under 25, meaning it has not really been driven. My car has 300 miles on it and I have been driving like granny until the car is up around 600 miles, I have done this on every new car I have owned and never had an oil issue.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

12k miles now, no oil added between the regular changes, less than 20 miles when I got it, easy until 1000 miles and then normal driving (no high revs until warm), 60% interstate, 40% suburban
Old 09-04-2013, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokingTires
I had to add 1qt of oil twice now. The car has 16K miles. I've owned it for the last 5K miles. The second time it asked for oil was after 2K from the oil change. How often do you need to add oil? If you had this issue fixed by a dealer, what was the repair?

Smoking, when you say "it asked for oil" do you mean the check oil light came on? How much oil did it need each time; a full quart? If so, a quart every 2K miles on this engine is definitely excessive. (My 3.0T used about a half quart in the last 10K miles). First, see if you can detect any oil dripping on the ground or if there is any oil blowback under the car which would indicate a leak somewhere. In any case, it would prob be a good idea to bring it in and have service check it out. Could be any number of things but a leak might explain it. If not, it could be burning oil at an alarming rate and needs to be addressed under warranty.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Snagitseven, the message on the dash lit up asking to "add 1qt of oil, but safe to continue driving". I park in the garage and the floor is clean from oil stains, so maybe it's not a leak.

Would you wait another 2K-3K miles and see if the car requests another quart and then take it to the dealer or would you take it now? I am just afraid to have the dealer re-work the engine and screw something up in a different place.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2013 3.0T with 11 miles on it when purchased. Right now at 10500 after 12 months of ownership. Never have to add any oil. And I rarely drive above 3k rpm.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Snagitseven, the message on the dash lit up asking to "add 1qt of oil, but safe to continue driving". I park in the garage and the floor is clean from oil stains, so maybe it's not a leak.

Would you wait another 2K-3K miles and see if the car requests another quart and then take it to the dealer or would you take it now? I am just afraid to have the dealer re-work the engine and screw something up in a different place.
As long as you keep the oil level above the min, I suppose you could wait another 2K miles to see if what you experienced was an anomaly though I wouldn't wait too long if it's still using a quart. You really shouldn't worry about what else would happen if service tries to fix an issue. Kind of like not going to the hospital with chest pains because you're worried you might catch something else while you're there. A quart of oil consumed every 2K miles is not something you should ignore in a 3.2T engine. Especially if under warranty.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

My concern and reason to take it the dealer is that if the car is screwing up and telling you to add oil when you don't need it you could have unknowingly overfilled it and this could lead to problems. On the other hand it could be that at the last oil change they didn't put enough oil in and the car was correct in telling you to ad oil. This happened to me years ago when I had a Nissan. The dealer subsequently found out that the equipment dispensing the bulk oil was giving erroneous readings.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search oil consumption test. Lots of post on this problem. The procedure worked for me. I had a very similar situation. There is a service bulletin on this. Check with your dealer but have it attended too.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

From a post I made in a different thread about a service visit:

1) The car was asking for another quart of oil approximately every 4000 miles or so. Covered under TSB 2030197/10. The fix involved replacing the breather assembly and installing new gaskets and seals, updating the ECM programming, and doing "oil test part 1." This was apparently a complicated fix that involved removing and reinstalling the supercharger.