Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Adding sub and amp to Bose system

Old 03-04-2012, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding sub and amp to Bose system

Starting a new thread for the Bose upgrade.

My JL Audio CP108GL box has not arrived yet, but I decided to go ahead and install the amp anyway.

Good thing the battery is in the trunk, very easy to run the power line. The ground point is right in front of the Bose amp.

Looking at the Bose sub under the deck, you might think the wires should be Grey and Grey/Red, but no such wires in the Bose connector.

Looking under the speaker grill, it turns out the wires are actually Brown/Blue and Brown/White

Spliced into these at the Bose amp.

Continued in next post.
Attached Images      
Old 03-04-2012, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Bose upgrade continued

Tried to find a remote turn-on wire in the Bose connector, but couldn't find one. Ran the remote wire to an empty fuse holder in the fuse bay on the right side of the trunk instead.

Fastened a couple of braces on the bottom of the amp, to get some air between the two amps.

Secured the JL Audio amp on top of the Bose with a strap.

Done! Now I just have to wait for the box to arrive and plug it in. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like!
Attached Images    
Old 03-04-2012, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Mickelin
Tried to find a remote turn-on wire in the Bose connector, but couldn't find one. Ran the remote wire to an empty fuse holder in the fuse bay on the right side of the trunk instead.

Fastened a couple of braces on the bottom of the amp, to get some air between the two amps.

Secured the JL Audio amp on top of the Bose with a strap.

Done! Now I just have to wait for the box to arrive and plug it in. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like!
What gauge power wire did you use? and did you add a fuse to the remote wire?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I use an 8 guage wire kit for amps up to 350watts. I soldered the remote wire onto a 10 amp fuse that I inserted in an empty fuse holder.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I use an 8 guage wire kit for amps up to 350watts. I soldered the remote wire onto a 10 amp fuse that I inserted in an empty fuse holder.
Sweet thanks. Did you complete the power wire to the battery, then the amp and added the fuse last?
Old 03-04-2012, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, well I completed all the wiring with the battery disconnected (power, ground, remote, signal in, speaker out), then reconnected the battery and finally inserted the 60 amp in-line fuse in the power line.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

How does it sound?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Still waiting for the sub to be delivered, will let you know as soon as I get it.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you think soldering was the best choice? (in case the fuse ever blows, you need to resolder)

Have you ever heard/seen the "Add-a-circuit" fuse method. Link below

http://www.google.com/search?q=add+a...w=1280&bih=646

Can't wait to hear your feedback on the outcome. I havent even taken delivery yet, but so far, a lot of people seem to say the Bose is sub-par... I plan on doing something similar myself once i get the car
Old 03-05-2012, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, I've seen those but haven't found them in any store here and didn't want to wait for delivery from ebay. As you can see in the picture, I solder on only an inch or so of wire onto the fuse and then screw the remote wire onto that. Takes a minute to fix a new one and cost is zero, in the very unlikely event the remote fuse would ever blow. It's the "poor man's Add-a-circuit", works very well. In fact that's they way I usually tap in to the fuse box and I keep a couple of ready soldered extra fuses in the car.

The Bose system sounds great except for the pathetic bass performance. I have very high hopes the extra sub will make it sound great overall!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding sub and amp to Bose system