Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Advice on LED, sports package and BOSE

Old 01-02-2014, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Advice on LED, sports package and BOSE

Been frequenting this site (have been really impressed with the knowledge base of many contributors) nearly two years and, before finalizing decision to order the A6 TDI Prestige, have a few questions.

LED option. I would like LEDs but for those with this option and have experienced snowy winters: any issues with snow/ice accumulation while driving necessitating that you to stop and clear? I live in an area where we experience substantial snowfall, which will accumulate on the car (with slush) while driving during snowstorms, however heat from the headlamps keeps same clear. Since the LEDs do not generate heat, the recent thread on headlight washers now piques my interest.

Sports Package Wheel Substitution. Have decided on the sports package for several reasons and note that an 18” 5 double-spoke (identical to 19” 5 double-spoke that is part of sports package) is offered on Audi Germany site. After reading many threads regarding sports package and taking multiple test drives, the 19” sport was actually more comfortable and fun to drive than the 19” non-sport maybe due to lower tire pressure, that the only sports package I drove was a Prestige (different seats) or all in my head. I also noted an appreciable difference between non-sport 18” and 19” ride. In any event, secondary to salt used to keep roads clear coupled with large winter temperature swings, our roads are awful and any extra sidewall afforded by the 18” would serve well to minimize damage to wheels, suspension and butt comfort. Also, as I keep cars 10 years, more rubber may be better in the long run.

This would not be a deal breaker, just asking if anyone knows whether trying to order a “non-US” wheel option would entail too many push-ups. If too many push ups to obtain the ‘foreign’ 18” 5 double-spoke, then what are the possibilities of substituting the standard 18” 5-V-spoke wheel in place of the 19” 5 double-spoke that comes with the sports package (but, really prefer appearance of 5 double-spoke).

Secondly, if either of the above substitutions is possible, would this have to be ‘factory performed’ so as to calibrate the odometer/speedometer as opposed to swapping wheels after the fact or, does same overall diameter makes this substitution immaterial?

BOSE Center dash speaker. [Now, this is a major issue.] Is there any way to control or in the alternative, eliminate this speaker without affecting any algorithms that steer sound to the other speakers? This particular BOSE sound system is simply not fun to listen to. This is the A6’s only deficiency, but a material issue given the time I spend in the car.

• With the volume low, all I really hear (perhaps ‘bothered by’ is more descript) is the center dash speaker, reminiscent of the mono AM car radios in the 60s.
• With the volume somewhat loud, the sound bounces off the windshield, overwhelming most of the sound from the other speakers and diminishing stereo separation. This is in contrast to the Bose (not great, but enjoyable) in my Infinity (limited to A-pillar, door and rear deck speakers) that I can enjoy music relatively loud and still converse with my wife (not always a good thing).
• Lack of bass is another deficiency noted and remedied by others in this Forum. Perhaps it is the lack of bass makes it appear as if most of the sound is emanating from the center dash. Following the well researched/detailed and ongoing thread by Subterfuse on improving his system, but somewhat reluctant to commit substantial resources/effort on a new car.
• If the AudioPilot can be inactivated using MMI, could too the center dash speaker (or using VAG-COM)? Some have noted an improvement in bass with such inactivation.
• Many on this Forum enjoy the B&O system, but none of the area dealers have one to listen to. Since it too has a center dash speaker, I may be plagued by the same issue but maybe B&O owners could comment (more controls?).
• Minor Rant: For a $60K+ car, one ought to be able to control more than fade & balance. This issue is not unique to Audi…seems like all manufacturers have succumbed to various 5.1 and beyond systems that are designed to play movie soundtracks as opposed to stereo recordings.
• BOSE Automotive initially responded to my inquiry regarding removal of the center dash speaker by sending me a test CD so that I could report back any noted deficiencies on various tracks(?!). They promise a response from engineering.
• Perhaps this question should be posted in the A/V forum?

I would appreciate any advice. Thank you for reading this far.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

LED Headlights - actually, the LEDs generate quite a bit of heat which is why there's a fan in the headlight assembly housing to keep them cool.

Sports Package and special orders - the only custom special order I'm aware of is for non-standard colors. If wheels and tire changes are desired, it will be much easier and prob less expensive to order the 19" Sport with either all seasons or with summer tires and purchase a set of 18" with winter tires.
I find the 19" in the sport package to be very liveable in terms of ride and prefer the improved handling in good weather. A good compromise between 18" and 20" for ride and handling.

I have the B&O system and I experience no issue as you described at any volume level - the sound can be perfectly balanced via the MMI by the DSP settings and a graphic "crosshair" sound distribution setting. It even supports 5 channel surround sound. I'll leave the Bose part of your question to others.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

1. I have the LED headlights and love them. They make the car look so much better and finish/complete the look of the A6 i would absolutely get them and think they are one of the cars best attributes. In addition they are the best lights I have ever had in a car. I live in South Florida so i cant comment on the snow stuff.

2. I have the 20" wheels with the sports package. I think they are the best looking wheels. I also think they make the car handle the best of any of the wheel options. As a side note the stock Pirelli P Zero tires are very loud and I have replaced them with Michelin Pilot Super sports after 19K and these tires are absolutely fabulous and greatly improve the steering response, overall ride, and lower the ride noise. I highly recommend those.

3. The Bose stereo issues were fixed with the latest MMI update. it sounds like a completely different system. The center speaker issue was addressed, as was the bass. I suggest you listen to it in a vehicle that has had the MMI update done the Bose system sounds great after this update.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. LED's. Wouldn't get the car without them. Frankly, I think the standard HIDs look ridiculous.

2. Sport Package. I had the same concern as you, and didn't get a Sport Package. Wi the standard car had the shift paddles, but really, thats all I miss.

3. BOSE. I have no idea what you're talking about. Your settings must have been screwed up, because the surround sound is quite good. If anything, theres a buzz coming from the door tweeter during high treble stuff. Never noticed the center speaker doing more than it should and I have an old MMI version (0566).
Old 01-03-2014, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sock I had 18" sport (option for my '12 a6). I bought a set of oem 20" wheels and put snow tires in the stock wheels. I would do the 20s and pickup oem 18s for some snow tires, it's a little more cost effective
Old 01-03-2014, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1: LED. Had quite a lot of snow here in Iowa the last few weeks have not had any problem with the lights. If you are even thinking about them, get them.

2: I got the sports package, but as I purchased a CPO I had the dealer swap the 20" wheels off for me for a set of 19".

3: I hate my Bose, hoping this mysterious upgrade with make a difference.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:01 AM
Banned

1. I passed on the LED lights because I wasn't completely sold on them. They look great, but they are expensive to replace after an accident and I was hesitant about the cooling fans as the car ages. The xenon lights are brighter than the halogen hid lights, and the xenons are adaptive as well. I also couldn't find any definitive proof that led was better than xenon.

2. One thing that always perplexes me about the sport package is that you get no assurance as to which tires you'll end up with. If you get your own wheels, you can at least choose the tires you want. I've seen several complaints on the Pirelli P-Zeros from MB owners as well and the tread life is just as bad as the noise. I do like the paddle shifters, but I wish I could get them on the standard 4-spoke steering wheel. The ability to use the standard wheels for winter and get a summer set with the tires I want was more appealing, but non-sport suspension has a higher ride height.

3. If I don't spend $6k for a home stereo, why spend that much for a car system? I must accept the Bose system for what it is and the latest software update in the A6 I test drove sounded much better. The only car I had with Bose was a 1994 S500 and it was great, but that car was as large as a 747. That car had a mid tweeter mounted behind the rear-view mirror which reflected sound off the windshield. I never noticed it. When it comes to car audio, the road noise is a challenge to overcome and so is seating position. The worst stereo in the world for me was the Fender system in the 2013 Passat. That was one of the reasons why I got rid of a new car in less than 3 months. Essentially, if the car stereo does not introduce listening fatigue, it's a good start. If the stereo is simply loud and boomy, it can never be tuned properly. I've seen posts here about Bose mods for subwoofers and amps. Listening pleasure is down to each person and taste in music. Prestige comes with Bose and I'm sure that you can easily spend $6k in aftermarket to make it sound however it needs to sound, or just get the B&O. I did notice that the subwoofer enclosure with the B&O does take up some trunk space under the rear shelf.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Really appreciate everyone’s quick responses.

LEDs. Since there is no snow issue (my mistake on lack of heat), and I like them, I will get them. Agree that expensive repair is a downside.

Sport Package. Like the ride, steering wheel and lowered height so still planning on this. Would still like to have 18” all the time so I’ll inquire whether the dealer is willing to check into 18” 5 double spoke or a swap for standard 18” 5 V spoke. Understand reasoning for 19” for decent temps and 18” for winter, but haven't used snow tires in over 40 yrs (when I had rear wheel drive).

BOSE. Perhaps the cars tested did not have the MMI upgrade. From everyone’s comments it seems that I really need to locate one with the MMI upgrade and one with the B&O before deciding. Completely agree that less than $6k would result in possible better aftermarket upgrade of BOSE than $6k for B&O. But, not sure I like idea of dismantling a new car and possibility of new rattles, so over the life of the car spending an additional $6 for the B&O (if it sounds significantly better) may be worth it to me; it’s life’s constant little irritations that really bother people. Really do not like that center speaker! I’ll see if BOSE engineering responds to question.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

1) I have LED lights. They look good, but I have not had the time to evaluate them since I had the car for 26 hours.

2) I have the S-line package but I took delivery of the car with the 225/50/18 OEM winter tire package. I like the ride

3) I like the Bose system. The sound is clear and rich. That being said, I think the sound deadening of the car itself and the spacious cabin contribute to this. I see no reason to spend the money on B&O - but then again I haven't heard that yet. To me Bose is enough.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

1. I also passed on the LED lights because to me they did not perform any better than the xenon lights. So to me they were a very overpriced option - but I know some folks love them because they are unique.

2. I would order the 19" Sport with standard wheels and either all seasons or with summer tires and then purchase a separate non-OEM set of 18" with winter tires. Our roads are pretty crappy and I find the 19" in the sport package to work out great both handling and comfort wise. But I like the 18" tires in the winter for better traction (and if you use a dedicated snow tire and keep your car a reasonable length of time, it pays to buy a low cost non-oem set of wheels for just this purpose)

3. I did not like either the BOSE or B&O options. to me the B&O is way overpriced to the extreme. I have a very high end audio system in my home and it did not cost as much as the B&O system does. I would strongly suggest going the aftermarket route. I went with the base system and spent under around $1,700 or so upgrading some components and it blows away any of the factory options, including the $6K B&O. And if you use a quality installer, you will not have any squeaks and rattles. Actually mine added sound deadening material which in and of itself improved on the factory car build

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice on LED, sports package and BOSE