Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Keyless Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless Ignition

2012 A6 Prestige: With increasing frequency getting message "Key is not recognized" for one of our two keys when ignition button pressed. Unrecognized key does unlock car however. When unrecognized key is touched to "hot spot" on dash, it then is recognized. But getting concerned that this work around may not last. Would appreciate suggestions for diagnosis and fix.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your key fob still have the original battery in it? I have seen the same message from my 2012, with an occasional alert to replace the battery.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had the same issue in my 2012 A6. I replaced the battery in the key fob...problem solved!
Old 08-05-2014, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

almost certainly battery. If key is in your pocket with phone, could also be interference.

the "work around" should work even if you take the battery out since the RFID chip does not need power.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mike-nd
almost certainly battery. If key is in your pocket with phone, could also be interference.

the "work around" should work even if you take the battery out since the RFID chip does not need power.
Easiest solution is to change the battery--CR2032. If you get to the point where the door doesn't open then slip the key out of the key-fob and use that. If you want to change the battery, you have to remove the key, so as to access and slide the battery holder out of the key fob. Since the RFID chip does not need power, you can also use the plastic spare key that should have come with your car (I carry mine in my wallet), to open the door and start the car.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yep, I had to just change both my batteries on my 2013, this is the first keyless I've had, I guess they eat batteries faster.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So I never had to try this - but have seen mixed messages. Do all three keys have the RFID and work holding to the dash - or just the plastic emergency key
Old 08-06-2014, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Maverick61
So I never had to try this - but have seen mixed messages. Do all three keys have the RFID and work holding to the dash - or just the plastic emergency key
Any key coded for your car, if held up to the proper spot on the dash, will start the ignition.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by atecson
Any key coded for your car, if held up to the proper spot on the dash, will start the ignition.
And as implied, the Key Fobs will also, even with the Battery dead or removed.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have indeed replaced the batteries several times this year. It is that frequent replacement that led me to wonder whether there was a different problem. According to SA, however, the codes check out. So here's hoping it is once again a battery issue. And thanks for the tip about the placing the fob with the RFID against the dash. I had no idea that would work. Finally, in the head-slap department, thanks for the tip on the plastic key. It was in such a safe place that I forgot I had it!

Quick Reply: Keyless Ignition