Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Android + MMI Phone Book = Confused

Old 10-09-2013, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Android + MMI Phone Book = Confused

I use an Android smartphone (Droid Razr HD). I have more than 2,000 Outlook (Exchange) corporate contacts and because Android is Google-centric, I also use gmail with the same number of contacts (all identical). I notice that when the phone contacts download to the MMI system, it seems to pull only from my gmail contacts, so in order to get to under 2,000 contacts, I edited my gmail contact list to about 1,950 contacts. Yet, when the system downloads from my phone, it still maxes out at 2,000 contacts, and does not include recent changes to the gmail contact directory. I have completely wiped the MMI memory and done new downloads, without success.
Audi customer care was unable to help me. What's frustrating is that the system has memory capacity for up to 5,000 contacts, but only 2,000 per device.
Audi suggested I try downloading contacts from a SIM card, not sure how that would help?
Does anyone know which "accounts" the MMI pulls from when it synchs with Android based phones? Any suggestions on how to be able to download either my gmail contacts only (which now number fewer than the maximum number per device) or effectively increase the capacity of the system to include all my contacts from Outlook/Exchange?

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2013, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To download contacts from the SIM card would require you to use your Verizon Wireless SIM in the car, which I not compatible with the CDMA network Verizon operates, though they use a SIM card.

Make sure you are signed into the phone with the same Google account as your gmail account you are trying to use. Due to the large amount of contacts, you may not be allowing the MMI enough time to synchronize with the phone, thus causing the confusion with the edited gmail contact list. I do not know how to increase the amount of contacts Audi will allow without alternating the MMI OS which would require much more technicality.

It sounds like the car is pulling the contacts from your Outlook and Gmail accounts from the phone with the source centralized, it is coming from one area. If you have the Outlook contacts synchronized with the Contacts app on your phone, then you may try disconnecting the Outlook account from the Contacts app on your phone, NOT your phone altogether.