Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Annoying Auto E-Brake and Engine Shut off with Door Opening Solution

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Annoying Auto E-Brake and Engine Shut off with Door Opening Solution

It's been awhile since I've seen any posts on this but for those with these two potentially annoying "features" enabled from the factory on some C7s, there is a TSB that will update the Central Convenience Module (Address 09) to modify the following:

1. Emergency brake is no longer "auto-engaged" when the engine is turned off. Also, as a result, the seat belt fastening requirement is now moot since the e-brake is now set/released manually only by the driver.

2. "Auto engine shutoff" when driver door is opened is disabled.

No more having to remember to fasten your seat belt or manually hit the ebrake to drive the car a few feet or having to restart the engine when opening the driver door for a moment. Just like the "old" days.

I believe these have already been disabled in MMI software 0609 and may not have been enabled in the first place for software earlier than MMI 0566.

If you have these "features" and they annoy you, request the dealer perform TSB 2031850/3 to have them disabled. Note that any Vag-Com mods that were done to the Convenience Module, i.e. keyfob window/sunroof open/close, will have to be redone as they will be overwritten.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info. Next time I am at the dealer I will need to get that updated. The parking brake does not annoy me, and for the most part the auto shut off does not either. However there are those times that I wish the car would just stay on.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The parking brake on my 2013 S6 is automatically applied when I open the driver's door when the car is in reverse. I sometimes like to look out the open door when backing up, but the electronic nannies won't let me do this.

Do you know if the TSB eliminates this auto-parking brake on feature?

Jim

P.S. This "feature" might be a good thing, because when my younger daughter was 16 and was backing out of the garage with the driver's door open in my C5 A6, the car door hit the garage door channel, and jacked up the driver's door, and the garage door channel.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Fairfax 4.0T
The parking brake on my 2013 S6 is automatically applied when I open the driver's door when the car is in reverse. I sometimes like to look out the open door when backing up, but the electronic nannies won't let me do this.

Jim
I would imagine that since the TSB removes auto brake functions, the same would be true for what you describe.
What MMI version do you have?
Old 04-01-2013, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Fairfax 4.0T

Don't know about the TSB, but isn't this addressable via Vag-Com?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Grapeking
Don't know about the TSB, but isn't this addressable via Vag-Com?
Unfortunately, no. I had found a Vag mod reference online for removing the seat belt requirement with the e-brake but it didn't work on my A6. Nothing documented on the rest. The TSB isn't just to change parameters in the Convenience module but a replacement with these changes as I understand it. That's why it overwrites any mods done in that module.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Unfortunately, no. I had found a Vag mod reference online for removing the seat belt requirement with the e-brake but it didn't work on my A6. Nothing documented on the rest.
Thanks. had tried the same, with same result, thought it was me/my approach with the Vag-Com that was the problem.

When I first got the car I thought the "auto shut off when door opens" feature was a good idea. Having lived with it, I'm not so sure - good to know there is a solution.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Grapeking
Thanks. had tried the same, with same result, thought it was me/my approach with the Vag-Com that was the problem.

When I first got the car I thought the "auto shut off when door opens" feature was a good idea. Having lived with it, I'm not so sure - good to know there is a solution.

I was a bit undecided as well on the engine off thing. I liked that I didn't have to hit the off button when I got out of the car...that is until I remembered something in the garage or got out to clean off some snow or get the mail from my mailbox and then I decided it was time for this "feature" to go.
Now I just have to remember to turn the car off when I exit and that the e-brake is not automatically on when I put the car in gear.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Snagitseven - did you get this TSB applied to your car? Does it actually include an updated MMI version or is it just software for the convenience module? Just wondering if any other improvements come along with newer MMI software as part of it. I'll certainly be having this done when I go in for my 15k service.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Even though I don't have it, auto parking brake on when parked could be a bit annoying. Once I washed my car and left it in the garage for several days afterwards with the parking brake set. Unfortunately the brakes got stuck on, probably because the rotors were rusted from the moisture after the wash. I had to rev to 3,000 rpm in reverse to get them unstuck.

But auto parking brake off is useful, especially on the CVT when doing a hill start to prevent the car rolling back, and you do not want the car holding itself on the clutch (to avoid wear). Are you saying this function is disabled as well?

Quick Reply: Annoying Auto E-Brake and Engine Shut off with Door Opening Solution