Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Another tire thread, but slightly different

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear this worked out for you.

I'm also thinking about getting the P7 Pluses. Haven't had them before, but seem like a very good all around tire. Also thinking about the Michelin Premier A/S.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinbad
Got the car back and boy what a contrast. Had no idea it could be that big of a difference between two all season tires. The drone is gone, the ride is smooth and the interior rattles a lot less lol - but that's for another day to solve!

Thanks for all the input again, definitely pushed me over the edge and ask for different tires! The if you don't ask the answer is always no holds up here as well....

Glad it worked out for you. My wife's Volvo S80T6 has the P7 Plus as does my old Acura TL (just bought /15 A6 3.0T Premium Plus couple weeks ago). The P7s on both the Volvo and the TL are quiet, smooth and handle decently for an all season tire. No idea how they are in the snow as we both run dedicated winter tires. Based on what I see on the Volvo (a very heavy car) looking like we should get about 30-35,000 miles out of those P7s.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have less
Old 08-11-2015, 02:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I switched from the stock Conti's to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, 18" size.

The Conti's were definitely quieter, but the A/S 3 I found better in rain, wet and dry braking distance, and overall stickiness. That said, I was not as impressed in snow as I hoped. I am on my second set of A/S 3's now, getting under 25K miles out of the first set. The tires were particularly loud towards the end of their tread life.

If I had to do it all over, I would buy a second set of rims for winter tires and not attempt the all season performance angle.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThomasH
I switched from the stock Conti's to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, 18" size.

The Conti's were definitely quieter, but the A/S 3 I found better in rain, wet and dry braking distance, and overall stickiness. That said, I was not as impressed in snow as I hoped. I am on my second set of A/S 3's now, getting under 25K miles out of the first set. The tires were particularly loud towards the end of their tread life.

If I had to do it all over, I would buy a second set of rims for winter tires and not attempt the all season performance angle.
That makes sense, back in Europe I would have winter and summer (all season) sets as well. No need for anymore here in California. The roads are considerably worse here also, couldn't live with something like the A/S 3s but I'm sure it's a great tire for most.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Revisiting this thread from 2 years ago about quiet and comfortable tires. I got 62k miles out of my original Continental ContiProContact 18" tires, and they still had 4/32" left but they were starting to drone.

So I just replaced them with Michelin Premier A/S tires. First impressions are that the droning has gone (otherwise I was going to replace the wheel bearings), and they are quiet and absorb bumps well. I'll update once I get more miles on them.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok I've done about 500 miles on the Michelin Premier A/S tires and I'm really loving them. They are very quiet and hush out the road noise. This is very important to me because I use my A6 for mostly long highway drives.

They absorb bumps really well, while still feeling taut and not squishy, so feel and handling are ok, but don't expect them to feel sporty. I inflate them to 33 psi.

Handling in the wet is better than the original ContiProContacts which did get a bit sketchy at highway speeds when the surface was covered with standing water.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by newmoon
Ok I've done about 500 miles on the Michelin Premier A/S tires and I'm really loving them. They are very quiet and hush out the road noise. This is very important to me because I use my A6 for mostly long highway drives.

They absorb bumps really well, while still feeling taut and not squishy, so feel and handling are ok, but don't expect them to feel sporty. I inflate them to 33 psi.

Handling in the wet is better than the original ContiProContacts which did get a bit sketchy at highway speeds when the surface was covered with standing water.
I was considering these as well for the comfort aspect but they weren't available in the 20" on tire rack when I checked. I'm thinking the DWS 06 since I've had them on another vehicle and worked well in all weather conditions, lasted a long time, and were quiet. They're also under $200 each.

My current tires still have some tread but I see some cracking on the fronts and they aren't riding too smoothly so I think it's time once I get around to scheduling an install. Glad yours are working out for you.