Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Anyway to Skip a song from the wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyway to Skip a song from the wheel?

Either I am a living brick.. and haven't been able to locate the button for the last 3 months. Or AUDI made the worst steering wheel controls ever.

I've got a prestige w/ sport & heated wheel if it matters.

Can you skip songs (FF / RW) from the wheel? Can I make the < > buttons do that ..which I do 100x per journey instead of chose between MMI screens in the middle of gauge cluster (which I do ZERO times) ?

It's ridiculous, I have to drive with my right hand constantly on the << >> Volume ****.

I have to be missing a setting or something... How the hell else do you shuffle through 3,000 songs, or Bluetooth Pandora stations? Voice control is awful, it never does what I want.

I can't be alone here.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont believe there is a way. which is quite sad..... terrible design

only option, is to put the Audio controls on the Center dash display, and use the wheel to scroll down and select next song...
Old 08-27-2012, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cjc1083
Either I am a living brick.. and haven't been able to locate the button for the last 3 months. Or AUDI made the worst steering wheel controls ever.

I've got a prestige w/ sport & heated wheel if it matters.

Can you skip songs (FF / RW) from the wheel? Can I make the < > buttons do that ..which I do 100x per journey instead of chose between MMI screens in the middle of gauge cluster (which I do ZERO times) ?

It's ridiculous, I have to drive with my right hand constantly on the << >> Volume ****.

I have to be missing a setting or something... How the hell else do you shuffle through 3,000 songs, or Bluetooth Pandora stations? Voice control is awful, it never does what I want.

I can't be alone here.
Hit the "*" button
Old 08-28-2012, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

agree on the "*" button. you may need to program it. It only goes forward.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wolverinewizard
Hit the "*" button
Do you have a picture of this button?
Old 08-28-2012, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Cars with the cold weather package/heated steering wheel don't have the * button - the steering wheel heat button replaces it.

It is indeed really disappointing that there aren't basic seek controls on the steering wheel. I've gotten used to reaching over on the center stack to skip songs, but it's a pretty marginal way to do it. Lately I've just been using the media list on the DIC, scroll through and pick what I want that way.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 160 Posts

The two buttons immediately below the volume control on the centre console will take you one track forward or back. No need to go into the MMI system to do it. Appreciate they are not on the steering wheel but it is easy to find without taking your eye off the road. Also when the DIS is displaying the selected media device (and hence the current track being played) you can simply use the scroll wheel on the LH side of the steering wheel to go up or down a track and the press it to select.

Last edited by John Simcox; 08-28-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nyuni
Cars with the cold weather package/heated steering wheel don't have the * button - the steering wheel heat button replaces it.

Ah, didn't realize that!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with cjc1083, the steering wheel is crowded with so many seldom used buttons and switches, that it makes you wonder what on earth was Audi thinking when they chose what to put there. I do not have the cold weather package, but I doubt the steering wheel heat button is used more than once per day, so it should have been placed on the dash - with the other climate controls. Track controls are used quite more often, IMHO. So, while is good to have them readily available next to the transmission stick, I like to keep my hands on the wheel as much as possible.

And having to switch screens and scroll up and down to select songs is not exactly a safe thing to do while driving on the highway.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Selecting the next track in the DIS view is useless. I listen to one of thousands in my library on shuffle..or bluetooth so I can listen to pandora.... Another rediculous thing ...pay for a data package and whole computer but you need your phone and a million steps to stream music with no heads up info. My mustang gt with sync is miles ahead of this car.

I'm infuriated that the worthless heated steering wheel button...or equally worthless inav took the place of a skip button.

I drive a lot, and this really gets old. Searching through three hundred folders five deep for one track is not valid.

If they don't fix MMI ( stupid long initilization times, loading times for nav...no saved favorites for 2-3 minutes after getting in the car.... Constantly nuking my preferences etc.) This car is going in the 60k mistake pile and I'll get something else.

Rediculous.

Quick Reply: Anyway to Skip a song from the wheel?