Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Apple CarPlay retrofit for C7 A6 (pre facelift) - any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cccjrsbox
I suspect it may have something to do with whether or not a car has the cold weather package
That could be it - I do have the cold weather package. Disappointing if so, usually Siri is available on-screen but not always.

Can you post your software version? I'm curious if there's been any updates. Mine ... reads 84080A C5.
Mine's just 5.1.2
Old 12-14-2018, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by picnicbob
That could be it - I do have the cold weather package. Disappointing if so, usually Siri is available on-screen but not always.

Mine's just 5.1.2
my software is 5.1.5 and I don’t think it has to do with cold weather package because siri was activated by holding the voice button & not the asterisk, atleast on my 2016. I had all kinds of microphone & Siri issues when I 1st got my module and with the help of the scanner I narrowed it down to the module. I got it handled by shorting the wires together and I use Bluetooth instead of aux and this has fixed the call quality tremendously.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Congrats, I like the idea of stuffing it behind the glovebox - nice work!

For the "My steering wheel Nav and Voice buttons still activate MMI Nav and Voice functions when CarPlay is active." issue, I suspect it may have something to do with whether or not a car has the cold weather package. For those with, there's a heated steering wheel button on the steering wheel, for those without - there's a different button with an asterisk. I think the asterisk button will summon Siri, but not the heated wheel version (this is based on what I've read around AW - don't know for sure).

Siri is still easily accessed though, turning the MMI **** all the way to the left in CarPlay mode will land you on the white circle in the bottom left hand corner of the screen. Once there, press and hold the MMI **** for a couple of seconds and Siri pops up. I can usually get her without looking.

Can you post your software version? I'm curious if there's been any updates. Mine is located on the splash screen where you select IOS, and reads 84080A C5.
My CarPlay box software version is also 84080A C5. My A6 does not have the cold weather package/heated steering wheel, but unfortunately I have no evidence whether it matters. If CarPlay is active and I hold the “voice” button (not “*”) on the steering wheel, Siri will wake up.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:19 PM
2013 Audi A7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really considering getting this through Amazon so less fuss to deal with if something is not right

Carplay Active Adapter, carplay Interface Audi A6 A7 3GMMI+ from 2012~2015 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HJZ1LFX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_umchCbRPD855P
Old 06-06-2019, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

New to the forum, Google brought me here thru this thread. Considering this mod in a 2011 Q5. Is there a consensus about which retrofit vendor to use? It seems like it comes down to these three, right?
  1. gocarplay.com
  2. RSnav
  3. Naviplus
From what I can tell, only the Naviplus option uses the OEM Audi lightning cable (the first two require installation of a dedicated carplay USB cable) and includes a digitizer to make the non-touch screen touchable. It seems like these features make it the better option.

Would love to hear from folks on the thread with experience with any of these vendors and products.

Thanks!

Greg
Old 06-06-2019, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Been pretty happy with mine from gocarplay. Only issue was sound quality through the aux port. Ended up just going with bluetooth for audio, which turns out has been easier to use- and doesn't require VCDS/GreenScreen settings to be messed with. Now, no more switching between audio sources. For the USB connection, I installed a cheap connector under the armrest - documented previously in this thread. Looking forward to Apple IOS v13 for some updates to CarPlay. Looks like this company now offers wireless CarPlay as well - not sure I'd trust it without verifying with someone that has it though.

Originally Posted by wssrstrm
New to the forum, Google brought me here thru this thread. Considering this mod in a 2011 Q5. Is there a consensus about which retrofit vendor to use? It seems like it comes down to these three, right?
  1. gocarplay.com
  2. RSnav
  3. Naviplus
From what I can tell, only the Naviplus option uses the OEM Audi lightning cable (the first two require installation of a dedicated carplay USB cable) and includes a digitizer to make the non-touch screen touchable. It seems like these features make it the better option.

Would love to hear from folks on the thread with experience with any of these vendors and products.

Thanks!

Greg
Old 06-10-2019, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by wssrstrm
  1. gocarplay.com
  2. RSnav
  3. Naviplus

Thanks!

Greg
Greg,

I’m still very happy with the Apple CarPlay interface I purchased from gocarplay.com. Joyeauto.com is now a 4th vendor that comes up in searches for CarPlay retrofits. Although I’ve not had first-hand experience with the other vendors, they all appear to use similar technology. Wireless CarPlay looks like it’s also available from these same vendors, but I can’t vouch for how (well) it works.

I still like to listen to the radio while I have CarPlay on the screen, so using the MMI settings I programmed the “*” button on the steering wheel (I don’t have the heated steering wheel/cold weather package) to switch to Media. Now I can switch to the Aux/CarPlay audio and back to radio with one button press, and unlike the buttons on the console it doesn’t send you back to the OEM MMI screen.

For a reasonable price (IMO) and a couple hours of work, this retrofit kit works very well and I think most Audi owners wanting CarPlay in a pre-Audi Smartphone Interface model would be pleased with the result.

Art
Old 06-15-2019, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have been looking for someone local (Indianapolis) who would suggest and install a unit and am not getting anywhere. Looking at gocarplay's website it does say it works wirelessly now. Would you suggest this unit below? I have a 2016 A6 prestige. Thanks!

apple carplay audi A6 A7 S6 S7 A6 all road ? Guangzhou Icarplay Commercial & Trading Co.,Ltd
Old 06-17-2019, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mc0898
I have been looking for someone local (Indianapolis) who would suggest and install a unit and am not getting anywhere. Looking at gocarplay's website it does say it works wirelessly now. Would you suggest this unit below? I have a 2016 A6 prestige. Thanks!

apple carplay audi A6 A7 S6 S7 A6 all road ? Guangzhou Icarplay Commercial & Trading Co.,Ltd
The wireless CarPlay would be interesting to me, except I have to plug my phone in anyway to recharge (no wireless charging yet for my phone or my A6).

A reputable car stereo installer should be capable of installing the CarPlay interface, but you probably don't want to be their guinea pig. An independent Audi mechanic should also be familiar enough to do the job. If you decide to DIY, there are some good tips in this thread from those of us who've done it.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default New Wireless CarPlay from RS Nav or others?

Originally Posted by atecson
The wireless CarPlay would be interesting to me, except I have to plug my phone in anyway to recharge (no wireless charging yet for my phone or my A6).

A reputable car stereo installer should be capable of installing the CarPlay interface, but you probably don't want to be their guinea pig. An independent Audi mechanic should also be familiar enough to do the job. If you decide to DIY, there are some good tips in this thread from those of us who've done it.
Does anyone have experience with installing and using the recently available wireless unit for the C7? I have a 2013 and am ready to order one, either from RSNAV/DANIEL or eBay from an unknown supplier at $100 less.

It seems the wireless units have more functions like EQ and airplay. However, my concern is installation, the unit working out of the box and the ability to use the car radio and cd while using CarPlay for waze.
Can anyone with experience reply with your thoughts?

Thanks so much....Jim.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay retrofit for C7 A6 (pre facelift) - any recommendations?