Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Apple CarPlay retrofit for C7 A6 (pre facelift) - any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apple CarPlay retrofit for C7 A6 (pre facelift) - any recommendations?

I have a 2012 A6 and I’d like to use Apple CarPlay on the nav screen and operate it with the car’s MMI controls. I’m curious if anyone has experience with the Naviplus system or something similar.

It seems like very few have tried to retrofit Android Auto or CarPlay. Can anyone offer suggestions pertaining to removing the MMI head unit from the dash and sending external audio/video into the 2012-2014 system? I assume VIM will need to be enabled to make this work, and I’d like to understand what other work is required before I buy a retrofit kit or open up the dash.

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by atecson
I have a 2012 A6 and I’d like to use Apple CarPlay on the nav screen and operate it with the car’s MMI controls. I’m curious if anyone has experience with the Naviplus system or something similar.

It seems like very few have tried to retrofit Android Auto or CarPlay. Can anyone offer suggestions pertaining to removing the MMI head unit from the dash and sending external audio/video into the 2012-2014 system? I assume VIM will need to be enabled to make this work, and I’d like to understand what other work is required before I buy a retrofit kit or open up the dash.

Thanks.
It may be cheaper to buy a new A6.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

While a new A6 is certainly tempting, I think it can be done without replacing any of the existing MMI 3G+ components. I've found solutions from Naviplus and Navtool, both of which involve installing a "CarPlay unit" and a bypass cable between the MMI unit and the display screen. They seem to be an evolution of the smartphone mirroring kits that are routinely mentioned in these forums.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While a new A6 is certainly tempting, I think it can be done without replacing any of the existing MMI 3G+ components. I've found solutions from Naviplus and Navtool, both of which involve installing a "CarPlay unit" and a bypass cable between the MMI unit and the display screen. They seem to be an evolution of the smartphone mirroring kits that are routinely mentioned in these forums.
I put one of these in a 2014 A6 with MMI3G+ a couple of weeks ago: apple carplay audi A6 A7 S6 S7 A6allroad ? Guangzhou Icarplay Commercial & Trading Co.,Ltd

It appears to be the same as the black box outlined here: https://rsnav.com/products/3g-mmi-3g...-interface-kit

There are a few nuances (like be sure to disable iPhone bluetooth if you want calls to work over carplay, and some - not all - songs can sound slightly distorted) but overall it works great. Install was about 2 hours, having never dug into the dash before - I went slow and there are some tight clearances. You'll need a VCDS cable (or equivalent) to unlock green screen then enable aux audio. I had to shave some plastic off one of the connector cables they sent as it didn't quite match, but an exacto blade made short work of it.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks. Did you install this in your car, or was it for someone else? Let me know if you’d be able to share the installation instructions or some pictures.

I’m starting to feel like I could do this myself...do you know anyone in central Florida with a VCDS cable?
Old 05-22-2018, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The RSNav looks like the best option, but I don't think the one for the C7 is available yet. The site says "Sold Out" and there is a message about details coming week 13 May 2018.

That said, I'm not sure what is really gained with CarPlay? Looks like just a simpler looking music interface, and then the Apple Maps instead of the car's native Google Earth.
Apple Maps does not excite me because Waze is better, but CarPlay won't work with Waze.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
The RSNav looks like the best option, but I don't think the one for the C7 is available yet. The site says "Sold Out" and there is a message about details coming week 13 May 2018.

That said, I'm not sure what is really gained with CarPlay? Looks like just a simpler looking music interface, and then the Apple Maps instead of the car's native Google Earth.
Apple Maps does not excite me because Waze is better, but CarPlay won't work with Waze.
"The RSNav looks like the best option" - Its literally the same device, but you will get better support from Daniel at RSNav.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks. Did you install this in your car, or was it for someone else? Let me know if you’d be able to share the installation instructions or some pictures.

I’m starting to feel like I could do this myself...do you know anyone in central Florida with a VCDS cable?
Its installed in my car. These instructions helped, but you'll need a little common sense too: Example

I have another doc that shows more about how to pull the dash components, PM me your e-mail address if you want it.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've been searching for something like this since I bought my 2014 A6 a couple months ago. How does something like this work with the driver dash display (behind the steering wheel)? I'd love to hear some more about glitches/problems. I want CarPlay pretty badly (assuming I can get it). Also, I assume the Audi MMI icon takes you to the old interface, is that accurate?
Old 05-22-2018, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ericsondr
I've been searching for something like this since I bought my 2014 A6 a couple months ago. How does something like this work with the driver dash display (behind the steering wheel)? I'd love to hear some more about glitches/problems. I want CarPlay pretty badly (assuming I can get it). Also, I assume the Audi MMI icon takes you to the old interface, is that accurate?
Nothing carplay related is displayed on the driver dash, it just displays whatever you typically set it to. No steering wheel controls for CarPlay, other than volume, but the mmi dial really works great for navigating.

You enable CarPlay by holding down the Nav button on the mmi console for a couple of seconds - a little menu pops up and you can select CarPlay or Android Auto or a few other junk apps. If you want to switch back to audi mmi, just hit any button on the mmi console like nav/tel/radio/media.

Biggest bug I've found is incoming call audio (while using CarPlay) doesn't work correctly if bluetooth is enabled on the phone. I think its because the phone is paired via bluetooth to the car/MMI. Its worked around by disabling bluetooth on the phone, or by quickly switching to telephone mode on the MMI (I think). I've just resolved to kill bluetooth on the phone, and all works well. I suppose I could un-pair the phone to the car/mmi too.

There's a couple of songs on my usual playlist that sound slightly distorted at higher frequencies using CarPlay. That's about 2 songs out of 30 or so.

If you're in CarPlay, and move the shifter to reverse - the rear view camera comes up like it should, but it doesn't automatically revert back to CarPlay when shifting back to drive, you have to hold the nav button down for a couple of seconds to get back in.

I also don't think the apple map goes into night mode, but my display isn't bright enough for it to be an issue for me.

That's it for glitches, fairly minor in my opinion considering this is only a $280 investment. But, I'm an admitted Apple fan boy and CarPlay really rounds out the ecosystem nicely.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay retrofit for C7 A6 (pre facelift) - any recommendations?