Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Apple CarPlay retrofit for C7 A6 (pre facelift) - any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I ordered my CarPlay and it will ship tonight. The person responding to their emails told me the price will go up next month.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cccjrsbox
There's a usb connection dongle that I've situated in the crevasse between the storage cubby (in front of the shifter) and the hvac controls. I just leave my lightning cable plugged in there and rest the phone in the cubby. There are some instructions floating around that explain how to replace your cigarette lighter socket (under the armrest) with a usb connection for a really clean install. Sadly, it appears to require near full removal of the center console.

I agree that under the armrest would be ideal, but my chances of getting a Saturday to myself around here to tinker are slim. Kids are way too busy and kitchen passes are hard to come by!
When I install my CarPlay, I'm intending to put the USB connection under the armrest. I'll post my notes and some pictures when I'm finished.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atecson
When I install my CarPlay, I'm intending to put the USB connection under the armrest. I'll post my notes and some pictures when I'm finished.
I rec'd a response from the seller on my perceived audio issues. He recommended trying bluetooth. With a little finesse, I managed to make bluetooth the audio source while still using the CarPlay interface (with the phone plugged in to CarPlay). It has to be set each time its used, but it did clear up some of the distortion I heard. This setup will likely foul incoming calls though - haven't tried it out yet. The distortion is very slight, and I notice it only on a couple of songs, so I probably won't stick with it. I'm now thinking it may just be an input level issue, iPhone EQ is set to none, and MMI input level is set to 1/4. I'll go poke around the green screen or vagcom next.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cccjrsbox
I rec'd a response from the seller on my perceived audio issues. He recommended trying bluetooth. With a little finesse, I managed to make bluetooth the audio source while still using the CarPlay interface (with the phone plugged in to CarPlay). It has to be set each time its used, but it did clear up some of the distortion I heard. This setup will likely foul incoming calls though - haven't tried it out yet. The distortion is very slight, and I notice it only on a couple of songs, so I probably won't stick with it. I'm now thinking it may just be an input level issue, iPhone EQ is set to none, and MMI input level is set to 1/4. I'll go poke around the green screen or vagcom next.
That’s interesting—let me know if you resolve the distortion issue.

My CarPlay interface was delivered today. I hope to have some time this weeeknd to install it.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

has anyone successfully used this with android auto and waze and controlled it with mmi?

the $450 rsnav option is 1) sold out 2) says it does not support android auto and 3) sometimes supports android mirror but not mmi control and 4) they may add android auto for free in the future

the $280 gocarplay option's homepage says carplay/android auto but all 5 of their product models, including the A6 only say carplay and don't say android auto anywhere and aren't replying

I own an iphone and my goal is waze controlled by mmi so i'd buy an android.
TIA
Old 05-31-2018, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Audible_Red
has anyone successfully used this with android auto and waze and controlled it with mmi?

the $450 rsnav option is 1) sold out 2) says it does not support android auto and 3) sometimes supports android mirror but not mmi control and 4) they may add android auto for free in the future

the $280 gocarplay option's homepage says carplay/android auto but all 5 of their product models, including the A6 only say carplay and don't say android auto anywhere and aren't replying

I own an iphone and my goal is waze controlled by mmi so i'd buy an android.
TIA
Screen mirroring might be your best option, although it obviously can't be controlled through MMI. This thread briefly discusses it: <https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/android-auto-2012-a6-2948184/>

Naviplus makes an Android Auto kit for the C7, which you might want to check out. The down side is it's quite pricey, it involves overlaying a touch interface over your screen (again, not MMI control), and I am not certain that it's compatible (for "4G MIG equipped").
Old 05-31-2018, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Screen mirroring might be your best option, although it obviously can't be controlled through MMI. This thread briefly discusses it: <https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-c7-platform-discussion-194/android-auto-2012-a6-2948184/>

Naviplus makes an Android Auto kit for the C7, which you might want to check out. The down side is it's quite pricey, it involves overlaying a touch interface over your screen (again, not MMI control), and I am not certain that it's compatible (for "4G MIG equipped").
i talked to rsnav after posting here and they have anroid auto controlled by mmi units ready to ship pending firmware update/testing
After 10 years of iphone ownership, waze is what finally gets me to switch to droid...
Old 06-03-2018, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That’s interesting—let me know if you resolve the distortion issue.

My CarPlay interface was delivered today. I hope to have some time this weeeknd to install it.
Several factors conspired against me today--foremost being I performed the install in a hot garage in Florida--but I got my CarPlay interface operating tonight. The downside is I still have to cram the wire harnesses back into place and button everything back up. Fortunately my wife is out of town, so I can use her car until Thursday while I get my A6 back in running shape.

I'll need to perform further testing, but my unit appears to have full functionality of the steering wheel buttons on the CarPlay interface. More to come...
Old 06-04-2018, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Audible_Red
i talked to rsnav after posting here and they have anroid auto controlled by mmi units ready to ship pending firmware update/testing
After 10 years of iphone ownership, waze is what finally gets me to switch to droid...
If you can hold on until the fall, iOS 12 will add support for 3rd party nav apps like Waze in CarPlay.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm declaring a successful installation of CarPlay. I'm not going to rehash the whole procedure here, mainly because I prefer not to relive the experience. These comments, however, may be of help to anyone who's considering the upgrade.

In general, the installation was much harder than I anticipated. Connecting the interface was not difficult, however stowing the new wire harness and tucking everything away so that I could get the MMI back in position involved lots of trial and error, a knife, and some brute force. Your results may vary. I also had to cut away most of the foam behind the dash panel under the steering wheel (near the driver's right knee), but that wasn't a big deal.

Pros: Anyone can have Apple CarPlay in a pre-facelift C7! Steering wheel controls work (for me).* I can switch to CarPlay mode and activate Siri from either the steering wheel or the MMI console. In my opinion, the results are 95% as good as OEM CarPlay in the 2017-2018 A6.

Cons: Requires a little determination and the capability to squeeze your hands into tiny places that can't be seen. When I first started the car after the installation, Carista showed me 21 fault codes but I eventually cleared all but one: 03389 Dataset Implausible, which I've read can occur when both AMI and Aux Input are enabled via the green screen.

Overall, I am very glad I did the mod. Big thanks go to @cccjrsbox, who as far as I can tell was the first one to install this system and talk about it. I wanted the result to be OEM-quality, and without his experience I would not have found the confidence to attempt the upgrade.

* For those who are interested, my firmware version on this "gocarplay.com" system appears to be 84080A C5. Perhaps firmware updates from the factory enabled the steering wheel controls and/or improved audio quality compared to earlier versions.

Also, I routed the USB cable to come out between the bottom of the dash (adjacent to the HVAC unit) and the top of the center console--right beside the "ashtray" bin. I did this because it was literally the easiest thing to do and I needed to drive my car again. When I work up the stomach to take apart the center console someday, my goal will be to bring the USB out under the armrest (near the AMI or 12V plug).

And that's it. If I experience any trouble or discover anything worth repeating, I will post it here.

Cheers!

Last edited by atecson; 06-06-2018 at 09:29 PM. Reason: I was stupid when I wrote the original post.
The following users liked this post:
Keith Mahan (12-27-2019)

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay retrofit for C7 A6 (pre facelift) - any recommendations?