Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

APR Tune 3.0T

Old 10-12-2015, 08:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR Tune 3.0T

Had a stage 1 tune on my A4 2.0T and it was fantastic. I thought my A4 was slow and the tune changed the car dramatically, in my opinion. I really enjoyed it. Have been thinking about a tune for my A6 3.0 from the start, but have felt that I really do not need it. I never thought my stock A4 was fast and was not satisfied with it, so I went with the tune. I do feel like my A6 moves well, and I am satisfied with how it drives. However, based on my past experience with how a tune completely changes things, I am getting the itch as I want MORE. I love how my A6 drives, but I'm thinking I want to flirt with a stage 1 APR tune. My question to APR stage 1 users is how much of a difference does a stage 1 make on the 3.0. I'm not crazy about dropping $1300, but I do drive my car about 20k miles per year so I want to really, really enjoy it. Thoughts?
Old 10-13-2015, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by scalco23
Had a stage 1 tune on my A4 2.0T and it was fantastic. I thought my A4 was slow and the tune changed the car dramatically, in my opinion. I really enjoyed it. Have been thinking about a tune for my A6 3.0 from the start, but have felt that I really do not need it. I never thought my stock A4 was fast and was not satisfied with it, so I went with the tune. I do feel like my A6 moves well, and I am satisfied with how it drives. However, based on my past experience with how a tune completely changes things, I am getting the itch as I want MORE. I love how my A6 drives, but I'm thinking I want to flirt with a stage 1 APR tune. My question to APR stage 1 users is how much of a difference does a stage 1 make on the 3.0. I'm not crazy about dropping $1300, but I do drive my car about 20k miles per year so I want to really, really enjoy it. Thoughts?
I just got a Stage 1 on my 2012 3.0T, the problem with me is I cannot identify what exactly changed with the tune, it holds the revs longer I feel, and I also upgraded my exhaust. All I can say, its one heck of a beast now! It just wants to go fast! I can't help but get tempted for Stage 2 now!
Old 10-14-2015, 05:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by scalco23
I really noticed a difference when I got my stage 1 tune from APR. Was able to run 13.1 in the 1/4 mile with a horrible reaction time and the car was even carrying extra weight (full tank of gas, sub, and baby seat). I also noticed better gas mileage on longer cruises. Its also nice having the speed limiter removed if you like going faster than 130 mph. It brings the car to life, and if you want a little extra thrill get an intake so you can hear that supercharger whine!
Old 10-14-2015, 07:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by blackc7a6
I really noticed a difference when I got my stage 1 tune from APR. Was able to run 13.1 in the 1/4 mile with a horrible reaction time and the car was even carrying extra weight (full tank of gas, sub, and baby seat). I also noticed better gas mileage on longer cruises. Its also nice having the speed limiter removed if you like going faster than 130 mph. It brings the car to life, and if you want a little extra thrill get an intake so you can hear that supercharger whine!
I got the tune yesterday. Not crazy impressed. Maybe that's because I thought my 3.0 moved really well anyways versus my A4 which felt slow. Definitely a difference tho. Anyways, car feels more peppy today than it did yesterday. I've only driven 100 miles. How long for tune to take full effect? Is there a break in period? If I remember correctly, my A4 stage 1 took a few days to really feel the full increase in power.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Stage 1 is like can get you 10% hp gain while with Stage 2 can get you almost 20% gain. For $2k, I'm so tempted to drop in Stage 1&2, but I come back to the warranty issue. The local installer said it would pretty much void my engine warranty...decisions decisions. I'm really hoping my year end bonus will help me justify it.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

get an 8 cyl. engine, APR is too expensive for what you get
Old 10-28-2015, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As someone who had his '05 A6 engine replaced by Audi at a cost of just over $20k according to the paperwork (I paid about 5%, dealer paid 5% and Audi paid 90%) out of warranty at 75k mi under good will, I sure wouldn't voluntarily void the warranty for 10% improvement. I am sure I would be SOL if I had done an upgrade like this. To each their own though, and I'm sure these machines are beasts for not much cash!
Old 10-29-2015, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schalliol
As someone who had his '05 A6 engine replaced by Audi at a cost of just over $20k according to the paperwork (I paid about 5%, dealer paid 5% and Audi paid 90%) out of warranty at 75k mi under good will, I sure wouldn't voluntarily void the warranty for 10% improvement. I am sure I would be SOL if I had done an upgrade like this. To each their own though, and I'm sure these machines are beasts for not much cash!
Yeah, I read your mentions about your issues in the past, which is my biggest pause. I can manage to come up with $2K, not $20K. I'm pretty sure the wife would be more than livid if that issue ever came up.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ha, yeah. That would NOT be a good time. If Audi didn't help me out even though the car was out of warranty, I certainly wouldn't be picking up another Audi.

Search this Thread