Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi A6 Dash Cam hard wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No kidding, I drive that stretch of 101 multiple times a week, especially going the other way with all the construction and narrow lanes seem to freak people out and make them slam their brakes.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BobaPanda, great post! By far the best information I found to custom mount a device up there by there mirror and hide the power cables. I just wanted to show others though, any differences between yours and my 2009 A6. And a couple clarifying pictures to perhaps help others not break the plastic parts.

I started out by removing just the center portion around the sunroof module. It comes out very easily if pulled from the front of the car (open the hidden tray thing first).

Then removed the outer bezel that covers the lights and such. Also pull down from the front of car.

Then remove the two screws in the same place as BobPanda's. (mine were standard phillips though.)

Then can use a credit card or plastic pry bar to pull the rest of the entire module down. Or grab from the now showing holes.

Here is a picture of the back of homelink module. Very similar to the 2016.

Here is a picture of the entire back of the module.

4Driver4 had a nice idea to drill that little hole in the mirror cover. I think I might have one-upped you here. (Or maybe my 2009 is different than yours.) So I decided to to carve out a little bit from that mirror mount cover as follows. There is a perfect little channel to run the wire down through there.

And now you can see it is completely hidden. And also does not require cutting the mini USB power cable and soldering it back together.

My only last note on the matter is ... I spliced into the power/ground wires further back, not right at the homelink. But either my wires work differently, or I accidentally did the wrong one, because the camera gets power when the door is opened, key does not have to be in. Power is on when key is on. Lights do not have to be on. Cam powers down at the same time the lights timeout when exiting vehicle.