Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi A6 Smartphone interface

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A6 Smartphone interface

Hey guys,
Glad to be a part of the Audi Community!

I've recently purchased an Audi A6 C7 4G 2016 (hope I've given the correct info). It's a 2.0 diesel with 190hp. I've had it for about 3 months and beside a minor accident (someone smashed my front bumper), I'm very happy with this car - only money I had to invest in it were for diesel and AdBlue.
I have two questions that I've tried finding answers online, but it seems that I failed so I thought I might ask you guys.

1 - Audi Smartphone

Audi Smartphone
I've seen videos on youtube with other persons 'mirroring' their phone to the display unit. This way they have access to apps like Google maps, Waze, Youtube, Whatsapp, etc - how can I do this on my car? Is it something standard? Is there something that I need to activate / change / upgrade?

2 - Wireless charger ?

I have this under the arm rest, some say it's wireless charging some say it's just a spot where you put in your phone to have better reception - which one is it? I tried putting my iPhone X there but it would not charge

Many thanks,
Radu
Old 09-21-2018, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 180 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by radu88
Hey guys,
Glad to be a part of the Audi Community!

I've recently purchased an Audi A6 C7 4G 2016 (hope I've given the correct info). It's a 2.0 diesel with 190hp. I've had it for about 3 months and beside a minor accident (someone smashed my front bumper), I'm very happy with this car - only money I had to invest in it were for diesel and AdBlue.
I have two questions that I've tried finding answers online, but it seems that I failed so I thought I might ask you guys.

1 - Audi Smartphone

Audi Smartphone
I've seen videos on youtube with other persons 'mirroring' their phone to the display unit. This way they have access to apps like Google maps, Waze, Youtube, Whatsapp, etc - how can I do this on my car? Is it something standard? Is there something that I need to activate / change / upgrade?

2 - Wireless charger ?

I have this under the arm rest, some say it's wireless charging some say it's just a spot where you put in your phone to have better reception - which one is it? I tried putting my iPhone X there but it would not charge

Many thanks,
Radu
Regarding the Audi Smartphone Interface. If your question is whether Smartphone interface was standard, I think in all European markets it was an option. If it is whether you can do things like Waze, that i s not a feature of the Smartphone interface, although with iOS12 Audi will now allow additional Apps to be channeeld through the CarPlay interface including Waze and Google Maps. Whether the software on a 2016 Audi will support that or not I do not know but hopefully it will. I think the videos on Youtube you refer to are those who have used thridparty solutions to deliver smartphone mirroring to theior car. However I don't think any of these allow the phone appls to be controlled by the MMI interface. All they do is mirror the screen

I don't think 2016 cars supported wireless charging.That spot is for improving phone reception but because iPhone's do not support rSAP and therefore the phone is only paired to the car via bluetooth I am not sure it does much to achieve improved reception
Old 09-21-2018, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hey John,

Thank you so much for the replies. Since yesterday I've found someone 300km away from me that is supposed to enable Apple Carplay for a fee. He asked me to keep the BACK button and the top-left button (from the joystick area) pressed and asked me to make a screenshot of the informations that were given on the display unit. He said he can activate the Apple Carplay for 350 EUR through something called "ODIS" but the car needs to be in his work shop. Has anyone had this done before? Is it ok?

Regarding the wireless charging - thank you for clearing that out!

Radu
Old 02-09-2019, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What was the result? I don’t believe this can be activated on the 2016, only newer.

https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/zub...ce-4m0051472-9
Old 02-09-2019, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Wuplur
What was the result? I don’t believe this can be activated on the 2016, only newer.

https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/zub...ce-4m0051472-9
The OP has not been around since his last post
Old 02-09-2019, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hey guys,

Sorry i forgot to update the thread. I now have Carplay enabled. I have called my local Audi dealer and they told me it’s only possible in 2016 models but I found a guy thay was able to enable it. Went to his shop, he connected to the car via laptop and 40 minutes later I had CarPlay enabled it. Have been using it for a few months now, all working just fine. He did not change any parts, everything was done from his laptop.

Prior to going to see him, he asked me for VIN number and if I had the phone logo above the USB under the arm rest - if it helps anybody.

Total costs: 50 euro in diesel to visit him (300+ km away from me) and 350 euro his fee. I think the price was fair.

Let me know if you have any questions
Old 02-09-2019, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just a quick update regarding my initial post - my car has been fabricated in 06.2015 and registered in 03.2016, so it’s actually an Audi A6 C7 4G 2015
Old 02-09-2019, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow! So does the main screen on your MMI now show smartphone interface? Is this aftermarket in anyway? Wonder how he did this when Audi claims “Notes for retrofitting to Audi A6 (from 2015) and Audi A7 (from 2015):
- The retrofitting of the Audi smartphone interface is only available for models as of 2017”
Old 02-09-2019, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hey Wuplur,

As far as I know, I bought the car with the original MMI as standard. When I called Audi they said its impossible because the CarPlay is only an option on models from the 2nd part of 2016, so was a bit disappointed but the guy managed to fix it, all he had to do was to connect with the computer on the car.

He also said its completely legal and I will have no issues with Audi updating the car’s software. I actually had to go after about a month at Audi to change the oil in the engine and gearbox and they had to update my software to the latest version and my CarPlay was still there

I can run Waze, Google Maps, my phone contacts, etc as normal with no issues. I also have another iPhone that is jailbroken and bought an app (not sure I can say the name here) and managed to do screen mirror on the car’s MMI - only tested this for fun.

Basically, when the guy asked me if I have the phone logo above the USB under the arm rest he said that models that do not have the phone logo need to have that USB changes, but it wasn’t the case for me - dont know if this is helpful.

Please do let me know if I can help answering other questions.

Radu
Old 02-09-2019, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have the same USB ports and feel like I tried everything to figure out if I can get it activated and failed. So I installed the aftermarket CarPlay kit with mirroring and I love it. But I plug into a separate usb. You are still using the factory usb connectors & your main menu screen shows smartphone interface?

Quick Reply: Audi A6 Smartphone interface