Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi electric steering issue reports consolidated..

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Unless you're driving an Elise or have the forearms of Popeye, I think you still want power steering. Perhaps you mean hydraulically-powered steering (vs. electrically-powered)?
HPS is definitely the way to go, atleast until EPS goes through a few more evolutions. I think it is pretty clear why BMW would have EPS is their 5 series but then HPS in their M5. I'm not sure if that is how the 3 series was.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
Yeah after driving the Allroad loaner for a few days, long for that mechanical steering, it felt awesome.
I happened upon the first page of this thread and it has a video of a 2013 Allroad as an example of a car with the problem. Having just driven a 2014 Allroad I was convinced it had mechanical steering. It certainly felt awesome and nothing like the steering on my A6 which is just OK (too luxury for me).

So was I in fact fooled by the electronic steering in the Allroad?
Old 03-27-2014, 08:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by VectorA7
Yep, I have tried going all the way to the left, then right, and the opposite. No luck.

And agree with you about it being worse with Active Lane Assist. I drove an A6 and A7 over the weekend, both had the problem, the A6 did not have ALA and it was not as bad.

Take a look at my other post - seems like they have isolated the problem, it's with the steering sensors.
I'm shocked. I was so skeptical of this whole CTRL-ALT-DELETE method of turn full left then right but I did it this morning and took the car onto the freeway where it usually wanders in the lane and I fight the grooves in the road. Wow. Great on center feel. No fighting the wheel. No mid turn corrections. I'm going to do more diving at lunch and I'm hopeful it wasn't imagination. This is even going back to "dynamic" steering. I had to put it in Auto mode as it helped alleviate the problems above. I might actually start looking forward to driving this car again.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I didn't really want to start yet another steering thread but I did a couple of Google searches to see what other reports there might be outside of this forum on the electric steering issue.

Yikes! I gave up after after finding these; I'm sure there's more.

It appears that the electric steering problem ranges from a mild, directional vagueness at speed (as in my case so far) to a very noticeable and disconcerting notchiness/jerking in the wheel at any speed. There doesn't seem to be consistent, contributing parameters, i.e. temperature, ADS mode, speed, mileage, etc. that I've been able to ascertain from the reports - they're all over the map. Also, for some, it's intermittent and for others, continuously apparent.

Some have had the steering rack replaced with success (at least temporarily) and for others, it didn't help. Alignments, wheel balancing, etc. have been done no with discernible improvement. One poster even (dubiously) claimed that installing an Alu Kreuz chassis billet eliminated the issue. The only temporary solution for some has been to turn the wheel lock to lock and back to center. Others have reported turning the car off then back on has worked for a period of time.

Reports say that Audi has been working on the issue for some time but no word yet to the dealer network. If this can be resolved via software update, it should be a fairly easy fix. If it's hardware related, this could be expensive for Audi as the issue with the new steering system exists across most new product lines and models. With possible safety ramifications, Audi might be compelled to replace components for everyone rather than on a case by case basis.

At the end of the day, it's clear there's a global issue with the electric steering that needs a timely resolution from Audi.
Really surprised Audi of all auto makers are having this issue. Volkswagen pretty much wrote the book on how to do "fly by wire" cars a loooong time ago. This should not be new stuff for them, so weird they are having an issue. Still love the car and the company, I feel for them and hope they can get this resolved where all parties are happy.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm continuing to push my issue after the horrendous update was applied. My vehicle will to back in to the dealer the week after next and they have advised me they may keep it for some time as they try to figure out the steering issue. I agree the different scenarios, solutions, and even steering complaints makes this that much more difficult to solve. In my case I just want the update reversed. They have not promised they will do it, but have said they are absolutely going to explore that avenue.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by NightCrawler
In my case I just want the update reversed. They have not promised they will do it, but have said they are absolutely going to explore that avenue.
Good luck. So far, no one has reported a dealer being able to reverse it.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by directorguy7
Volkswagen pretty much wrote the book on how to do "fly by wire" cars a loooong time ago.
Manufacturers are now, almost universally, using Electronic Power Steering (EPS) in order to eke out that last mpg. EPS uses an electric motor to provide the assist that was previously provided by an hydraulic pump. The steering wheel however, is still connected to the steering rack (and, by extension, the front wheels).

Fly By Wire is a completely different concept, where the connection between the input is physically disconnected from the output (think Throttle By Wire as an example, where the accelerator pedal no longer connects to the throttle plate through a cable). Pretty much no-one (except Infiniti, on a single model) does Steering By Wire. Don't conflate EPS and "fly by wire", as they're completely different concepts.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Good luck. So far, no one has reported a dealer being able to reverse it.
Thanks. They were the ones that brought up reversing it. They told me they couldn't promise me they could but that they were going to try.
The following users liked this post:
sfrvn (03-30-2020)
Old 03-27-2014, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks. They were the ones that brought up reversing it. They told me they couldn't promise me they could but that they were going to try.
Obviously, many here would be very interested if it were actually possible. Chances are the dealer wasn't aware of the irreversibility. Let us know.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm continuing to push my issue after the horrendous update was applied. My vehicle will to back in to the dealer the week after next and they have advised me they may keep it for some time as they try to figure out the steering issue. I agree the different scenarios, solutions, and even steering complaints makes this that much more difficult to solve. In my case I just want the update reversed. They have not promised they will do it, but have said they are absolutely going to explore that avenue.
Hope you have success - they only way to get Audi to remedy this is for people to keep pushing the issue and not let them off the hook

Quick Reply: Audi electric steering issue reports consolidated..