Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi electric steering issue reports consolidated..

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Could be that not all C7's have or had the problem. I have never felt it and there is no record of an update or service on my 2012 A7.
Yup. That might be it. My A6 didn't have that update too, that I remember of.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
As has been written, the 48K8 update improved the notchiness significantly but for some, it was reported that it lightened the steering effort (this I did not notice on mine but I like it on the lighter side anyway). It also improved the off-center wandering a bit, at least for me. That your A4 is still experiencing a severe notchiness after the update is puzzling since that was the one thing it seems to have solved. Based on reports, unfortunately there is no way to reverse the update - the change is permanent without replacing some expensive components which a dealer would prob be loathe to do anyway.

You might want to double check that in fact, the 48K8 was actually done. My A6 notchiness disappeared after the update was applied. Otherwise, a visit to the service department might be in order. Not something I'm sure you would look forward to.
Thanks for this.

Yes, I was very disappointed to learn that the update had been applied back in Sept 2013, the Audi dealer chap copied and pasted the result into my email.

It's certainly not a frequent issue, with respect to the severity of the notch. The steering is fine otherwise.

I have read of the update needing to be applied twice before Audi consider replacing a steering rack?

My car is out of warranty for "manufacturing defects". I'm concerned that they will try and charge me through the roof for this if it becomes a serious issue.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to kick in my own experience with my 2013 A7, and recap some of what has been shared elsewhere: this issue is believed to affect about 10% of certain models with early electric steering. C7 platforms, etc. The effect is that there is a "notch" in the middle of the steering radius which forces the steering wheel to go slightly left or right of dead center. Generally above 40 mph. Does not affect every individual vehicle, mostly 2012 - 2014s, with some exceptions. Very, very annoying to those of us who like precision steering, and borderline dangerous in some instances. It seems to manifest mostly in colder weather, in warmer weather you might not notice it at all.

Audi never acknowledged it or offered an explanation (speculation was that it was related to the early DSR feature which auto-corrects in cross winds). The 48K8 patch improved the situation, but did not eliminate the problem. Replacing the rack does nothing.

Work around is, when first starting up and driving, to turn the wheel completely left, hold it there for a minute, turn completely right, hold it there for a minute. Not sure why this works, but it may just be a way to heat up the steering system quickly. Generally, the problem does tend to go away after the car warms up completely.

Hope that helps.