Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi lighting

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Audi lighting

The last edition of Automobile magazine had an interview with Cesar Muntada, Chief of Lighting and Wheel Design for Audi. I would certainly like the full Matrix/laser technology, as used in the EU, but, as stated, the technology has still not been authorized for use in the USA even though Audi has petitioned for it.
The other issue that was not even mentioned is that Audi have gone through hoops to put on a light show at the rear of, at least the A7 and A8, but still hasn't incorporated the travelling amber turn signals. His team of engineers were given the task of taking a great design, that is used in the rest of the world, and screwing it up for the US market. It's not that difficult to accommodate the antiquated US laws of initial illuminated area for a turn signal, especially if you have a team of engineers specifically designing lighting systems. If they really are that incompetent then at least launch a petition to change that law too.
There are numerous people within Audiworld from different forums that have spent thousands of dollars on rear lights so that they can get amber turn signals and be a safer member of the motoring public. So, why does Audi supply its US market with this antiquated, inferior product?
My next car will have amber turn signals but I am not paying extra for them.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw a new Toyota Avalon the other day, and it had an interesting way to do the sweeping signal - it lights the whole signal initially but then it fades off in the direction of the turn. Looks a little off at first, but more elegant than Audi's solution, I think.

Here's a video:
https://youtu.be/Sr5TSGQlfdI
Old 02-19-2019, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There are now facelift style tail lights available with amber dynamic signals for the pre-facelift cars. I got these a while back and it was one of the best upgrades I've made to the car IMHO. I documented my install process here: https://thetechycorner.wordpress.com...e-tail-lights/
Wish Audi would do something like this out of the gate but at least we now have a relatively affordable way to get around it.

Last edited by mdkv5; 02-19-2019 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

mdkv5 - great job on the mod but its still not cheap. The Avalon is a clever method of travelling and abiding the present law.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:08 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not make the initial flash of the signal the whole bar, to comply with the law and then make every subsequent flash directional with the chasing lights? It seems like that would just be a programming change.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tjf
Why not make the initial flash of the signal the whole bar, to comply with the law and then make every subsequent flash directional with the chasing lights? It seems like that would just be a programming change.
In the US that wouldn’t fix the amber turn signal issue. Audi assumes the technology from a 1977 Chevy is good enough for the US. I have no idea where you live but the problem is USA only so we have two problems which Audi is unable to solve.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:52 PM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe I am missing something. I thought the issue with the US law was intitial illumination, not the color. I am in the USA.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tjf
Maybe I am missing something. I thought the issue with the US law was intitial illumination, not the color. I am in the USA.
Yes, the initial illumination must cover a defined area, the first element of the traveling system does not meet the required area. The main issue, however, is that using a red turn signal with a red rear light which is next to a red brake signal is asinine and makes as much sense as a traffic light using all red lights instead of red, amber and green.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
using a red turn signal with a red rear light which is next to a red brake signal is asinine and makes as much sense as a traffic light using all red lights instead of red, amber and green.
Great analogy!
Old 02-21-2019, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
Great analogy!
Yes it is

Quick Reply: Audi lighting